Author Topic: Need some serious help with the JXD S7300, please :)  (Read 18262 times)

Offline Dilbert09

• bit
    • View Profile
Need some serious help with the JXD S7300, please :)
« on: May 05, 2013, 06:51:33 AM »
Hello there,

I have bought a S7300 and am having a royal pain in the backside setting it up.

I have downloaded the free Mupen64 from the play store but am having trouble setting up the emulator to any playable level.

To begin, The emulator is on the default settings. I have placed the roms and what not onto the SD card and have no trouble booting them up, but, the graphical glitches are enormous. Turok 2 loads fine with the intro but when the main menu comes you can only see the gun. All sound effects and music play fine and it seems the game is running fine but of course you can only see the gun floating there and a few UI icons..

Doom 64. The game boots and loads, during the intro though most of the graphics are a garbled mess. The music is running and you can see most of what is there, but, like I say it's a garbled mess as it rotates around the giant Doom 64 symbol with the imps and what not..

I try not to be a total plonker (Sometimes..) and I do realise that I'm going to need to tweak and mess around with the settings. My questions are though..

How do I even start, and where? I'm brand new to the whole Mupen64 scene. I'm pretty sure the handheld in question can run 64 roms but it's just getting it to do it. I know it has problems with the controller input somewhere along the line (With the JXD's basic input method) but I can deal with that just as long as I know it'll run the games in question with whatever settings they need..

I just need a bit of a nudge in the right direction in how to set it up for this handheld :)

..Sorry, just to add.

Do I need plug in's at all? I have seen a few snippets on random forums about Glide, or some other plug in's. Where would I get them and would I add them to the emulator?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:58:30 AM by Dilbert09 »

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: Need some serious help with the JXD S7300, please :)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 08:13:12 AM »
A lot of games require specific plugins or settings.  The published plugins are not addons - they're in Settings->Plugins (Glide64 isn't published yet, but test builds are available in the Testers Corner board). The main settings to tinker with when a game has a problem are the video plugin, frame skip settings, and R4300 emulator (in interpreter modes, use Restart instead of Resume in the play menu)

For Turok 2, switch the video plug-in to gles2rice (in the Plugins section).  Can't remember if Auto Frame skip works for that particular game, so try it both enabled and disabled to see (in the Video settings)

Doom64 is not playable.  Technically there is a workaround to improve the graphics (Pure Interpreter plus Glide64 I think -- I'd have to check) but not playable like that because of the extreme lag.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline Dilbert09

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 06:07:27 AM »
A lot of games require specific plugins or settings.  The published plugins are not addons - they're in Settings->Plugins (Glide64 isn't published yet, but test builds are available in the Testers Corner board). The main settings to tinker with when a game has a problem are the video plugin, frame skip settings, and R4300 emulator (in interpreter modes, use Restart instead of Resume in the play menu)

For Turok 2, switch the video plug-in to gles2rice (in the Plugins section).  Can't remember if Auto Frame skip works for that particular game, so try it both enabled and disabled to see (in the Video settings)

Doom64 is not playable.  Technically there is a workaround to improve the graphics (Pure Interpreter plus Glide64 I think -- I'd have to check) but not playable like that because of the extreme lag.
Paul, your a Hero!  :)

That worked like a charm. It does have a few odd graphical glitches but it runs at full speed (Better than it ever did on the original N64 even, it was headache inducing back then. God knows how I even completed the game back in those days..)

Marvelous!

Sorry for the late reply. Got to love bank holiday weekends and geting roped into doing "Odd jobs.." (Or general dogs body, as I'm normally known as)

Now if I could just get my head around mapping the keys with this handheld I'll be laughing but I'm sure I'll get there with a bit of perseverance!

It does seem very ironic that Doom 64 doesnt work. I spent years trying to emulate the Playstation 1 version as it was, and still is one of my favourite versions of Doom. But with that version it would always get stuck on the Loading screen time and time again. I think it hasnt been that long since it was able to be emulated and working (On a handheld, at least, from what I recall)

And now I've come to play the Doom 64 version (As it was also a favourite back then) it's the same story as the old Ps1 version, god help me, it always seems to be the games I really want to play the most.. haha!

Ta very much! :)

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:29:50 AM »
Dilbert09 - Thanks for the report.  That's a cool device and definitely deserves full support in mupen :)  Regarding the controller issues, please follow the directions in this post.  Then post back with your observations.  If the device comes with touchscreen button mapping, do NOT use it while playing mupen.  Mupen should support the hardware buttons natively if the JXD was designed well.

Edit: Ok now you have me drooling over that device... darn you ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:12:45 PM by littleguy »
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 08:08:11 PM »
Bump... Very curious about this particular device.
OUYA, retail version

Offline snapuswip3

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 09:11:31 AM »
just got my jxd s7300, and I am having trouble with the button mapping also...

it seems to detect the left analog stick as though its the same as the dpad. I know from playing other games that it is a true analog stick, I am wondering what I can do to help diagnose the issue?

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 09:22:37 AM »
Excellent, I was hoping to hear from someone with this device.  Please do all these steps (including extra credit), then report back on this thread.
OUYA, retail version

Offline snapuswip3

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 01:43:13 PM »
on closer inspection it seems to be a firmware issue  :-\

there are 2 main choices for the s7300 at the moment; NCCE or Skelrom (from what ive gathered the stock fw is a POS)

I was experiencing this issue on NCCE v1.1,

I switched to skelrom v3.5, which fixed the analogue stick, but I have flickering textures on mario 64!  :-\

Went back to NCCE and it is consistant there aswell, guess its a depth issue?

If it helps it is a mali 400 gpu and its spoofing a galaxy s2 for compatibility reasons

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
Do any of the flicker reduction settings help?
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 01:57:51 PM »
Do any of the flicker reduction settings help?

(that's in the video settings section)
OUYA, retail version

Offline snapuswip3

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 02:27:33 AM »
T profile solved it, thank you!

I think I can put in some serious testing time on this thing now the kinks are ironed out..

Offline snapuswip3

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 06:13:31 AM »
I've had some time to play around with this thing now, and I strongly reccomend it to anyone who wants a portable n64, with the new frameskip in glide plugin I can even play conkers bad fur day very nicely  ;D

Takes a bit of work to get everything set up nice, but in my opinion well worth it.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 09:58:08 AM »
Awesome!  Would you mind posting some web links or advice you found most helpful?
OUYA, retail version

Offline snapuswip3

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 01:23:38 PM »
http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/

Seems to be the hive of development

Sxelrom 3.5 is the best ROM at the moment.

Make sure to wipe cache and factory reset etc between flashing ROMs or you will get force closes and random reboots

I bought the actual device from eBay, manufacturing quality is supposed to be low so I wanted to be protected just in case my unit was DOA

I wouldn't recommend it as a daily driver tablet, but its cool and the price is right!

Offline GenesisFlux

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 01:34:37 AM »
I'm a bit new to forums so I don't know what a dead thread looks like, so excuse me. I have a different question that may involve all emulators period or maybe just ones that emulate 32-bit consoles, but at least it's specific and you're a programmer for android so you might just understand, so here we go:

--To put it simply; As long as I run Mupen64+ AE as the first thing I do when turning on my JXD S7300 it has no issues whatsoever. However when I do something else, like surf the web on Google Chrome for a while or play Super Monkey Ball 2, then come back to Mupen64 it has this stuttering lag that's consistent. Every 4 or 5 seconds it will lag spike and cause some intense irritation; to me of course.

--It did this on the stock ROM for the S7300 and also on the custom firmware NCCE, so it's not an issue with the software. I've forced closed any apps in the background and even tried a memory cleaner to fix it. No dice.

--It only seems to do this with emulators. Apps off the Play Store don't do this. I could play any combination of Sonic games and Monkey Ball and Tiki Kart all day long and have no issues. (What really sucks is that I bought the thing so I could play your emulator specifically cause I love the way you've set it up.)

--The only way to fix it is to fully reboot my tablet and run it right from the get-go.

Please help me out on this, I'm enjoying all the hard work you've put into this sweet app but this is getting more than annoying to work with. If you need any info of any kind just ask. Thanks.