Author Topic: HTC one FPS  (Read 31199 times)

Offline Garrett

• byte
    • View Profile
Re: HTC one FPS
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 07:39:44 PM »
No change in fps when disabling input

I'm thinking it has something to do with updates on the screen
Even opening a menu will do the same fps increase temporarily.

One thing to note that I just tested -
In developer options, I have "Show Touches" enabled.
It only does the fps increase with that enabled (shows a white dot where you are touching)
I tried turning it off and my fps stays the same (around 17), even if I touch the screen

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2013, 08:01:25 PM »
Ok, so when you first said the FPS increased when you touched the screen, did the lagginess/audio stutter get any better?  Or did the numerical value simply change without any noticeable change in gameplay?
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline Garrett

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 08:07:40 PM »
Everything is better. Audio is smooth and the game is actually playable - well, other than it requiring me to keep my hand on the screen  haha

Pretty much makes it run at full speed with no errors/hiccups.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:09:11 PM by Garrett »

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »
Awesome, so there's definitely something to it.  This may be the best clue we've gotten to date on the issue.

@Paul - Perhaps this has something to do with the window compositing with the GL surface and the virtual gamepad overlay.  Something to do with focus and maybe Adreno has some optimizations to detect loss of focus that are too aggressive.  I'll make a branch that doesn't have the GameOverlay object (i.e only contains the GL surface) and see if that helps...
OUYA, retail version

Offline Garrett

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2013, 08:14:30 PM »
Glad I could help some. I just got the app yesterday! :p

Hopefully you guys can figure out a way to fix it.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2013, 08:15:56 PM »
Yeah it really kills me to think that some super incredible new devices are running like dogs with mupen.  But this is the best I've felt about the issue in a while.  Hopefully we're on the right track now.
OUYA, retail version

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2013, 08:27:29 PM »
@Paul - I just posted a test branch that removes the GameOverlay.  Testers will only be able to use peripheral/hardware controllers and FPS won't be shown, but they can at least tell us if audio stutter and video lag are any better.
OUYA, retail version

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2013, 08:54:58 PM »
@Paul - nevermind, Garrett just privately tested the build over PM.

@Garrett - Is there any way you can manually disable the adreno speed governor?  It looks like it's trying to optimize power but is shooting itself in the foot.  I think there may be some root apps, if you're rooted.  Or maybe there's an app/setting that came with the phone to put it in 'performance mode' or something?
OUYA, retail version

Offline Garrett

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »
I've already tried messing with some of the GPU developer options, but nothing helped.
I am rooted, if you know of something I can install to change it, I'd be glad to try. But there are no settings to disable the governor.

Power-saving mode is also off.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:01:54 PM by Garrett »

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2013, 09:16:24 PM »
In another post on the forum, Paul recommended setCPU.  It's $1.99 on google play, but an older version can be downloaded from the developer for free here.  I won't ask you to drop money on an app just for diagnostic purposes, but if you do try it, let us know if "Performance" mode for the governor changes the lagginess.
OUYA, retail version

Offline xperia64

• double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.antutu.CpuMasterFree&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5hbnR1dHUuQ3B1TWFzdGVyRnJlZSJd
A custom rom may be needed to access governor and stuff. If only chainfire3d worked with newer versions of android...

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2013, 09:27:22 PM »
Thanks xperia64!

So I went back and re-read the SGS 3 thread again, because I knew we went through all this already.  Interestingly I noticed this:

Also, a strange thing I noticed. Whenever I hit the menu button to bring the pop up menu, the audio and game runs at a stable 30FPS with no audio skipping [gles2n64].
But I had the same strange solution when I press the menu button. The audio skipping completely stopped. Albeit, it still runs at the 15FPS with frameskipping on [gles2rice].

It might not be the governor by itself, but this again seems to point to lagginess being a function of (lack of) user input....
OUYA, retail version

Offline xperia64

• double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2013, 09:44:29 PM »
You could always try what i call the inherently evil method: forcing the java surface to refresh/redraw/invalidate every 20ms or something like that

Offline Garrett

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2013, 10:03:13 PM »
I just tried the app that Xperia64 linked. I couldn't access the gpu settings with it, but I did set my cpu to max and gave that a shot. It increased my fps to ~25, audio was still a bit choppy and so was the game. but it increased it by almost 10fps.

Btw - the menu thing works the same way as if I touched the screen... basically if you spam the menu open/closing it the game runs at 30 fps.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2013, 10:05:37 PM »
You could always try what i call the inherently evil method: forcing the java surface to refresh/redraw/invalidate every 20ms or something like that

Interesting idea, worth trying in a test build at least to help diagnose the issue.  Have you done this before for some reason?
OUYA, retail version