Author Topic: 2.3.0 Release Candidates  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
2.3.0 Release Candidates
« on: May 21, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
I'm probably being overly cautious, but due to the rather large merge I thought I'd better post at least one "Release Candidate" for testing before we are ready to publish.  Here is the latest build from Master:

RC 1 (debug build)

Mainly just want to be sure that the Adreno lag problem is still fixed (GS3, GS4, HTC One, etc) and that nothing broke in glide.  There weren't any conflicts, so I don't anticipate problems.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline Grantious

• bit
    • View Profile
Re: 2.3.0 Release Candidates
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:31:23 AM »
seems to have kept the speed increase on my end, a little laggy on majora's mask but the glide64 plugin fixed a lot of the flickering :) also on that note if you could integrate the resolution test into that build that'd pretty much solve all the problems on the HTC one, because of the size of the screen even on half res the difference is so minute its not funny but it offers a nice FPS bump if your only borderline,

On a unrelated topic i wanted to thank you so much for putting so much work into this app, its kinda why i switched from Iphone to Android haha, well it tipped the scales anyway :P
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:36:22 AM by Grantious »

Offline Evil King Stan

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:45:52 AM »
Everything works great on the Xperia Play as well. Glide functions beautifully, aside from the inconsistent texture bugs, and is probably my go-to plugin from now on. I noticed a slight speed boost in games, not sure if that's from SDL 2.0 or I'm imagining it. Either way, great work since the last update, this app is phenomenal.

Offline snapuswip3

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:33:06 AM »
I am getting a freeze in the cup select menu when using glide plugin on mario kart, working great with other plugins. (xperia play)

speed increase is fantastic!!

great work

pause screen on majoras mask isnt showing up correctly either, black texture :/ (probably related to the recent paper mario fix?)

edit* just tried again and couldn't replicate it seems fine actually

edit** just made it to clock town and I am getting no gfx glitches and good speeds on xperia play (1.4ghz)!
This might be the first instance of majoras mask on a handheld? (LOVE THIS GAME!)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:06:40 AM by snapuswip3 »

Offline scorpio16v

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 11:03:27 AM »
Yes, it's definitely worth to release.
Speed on Nexus 4 is OK now. Glide fixed many things in MM 2 (flickering background), Shadowman (lights are shining through walls), Conkers BDF (gras did appear as blocks).

Other thing that should have priority in development should be to fix the junk graphics in Rice, because many graphics are broken that have worked since month.

One example in this thread:

http://www.paulscode.com/forum/index.php?topic=998.0

Dont know if it needfull for other games, but the menue option "fast texture loading" for Rice seems not necessary anymore. That option fixed the spot in Conkers BFD intro (was shown as square ). But the graphics are fine on the latest builds, even if the option is deactivated.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, sounds great :)

also on that note if you could integrate the resolution test into that build that'd pretty much solve all the problems on the HTC one
Other thing that should have priority in development should be to fix the junk graphics in Rice, because many graphics are broken that have worked since month.

You'll be happy to know both those features/fixes are already implemented in an experimental branch and should be in the 2.3.1 release.  We decided not to put them in the 2.3.0 release because those fixes required some substantial refactoring of the code and we didn't want to complicate the debugging if any SDL 2.0 or glide bugs show up.  A lot has changed under the covers in version 2.3.0...

Edit: By junk graphics I'm referring to the junk that gets rendered in the margins of the screen (where it should be black).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:19:04 PM by littleguy »
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version