Author Topic: Best android phone for Mupen64 AE?  (Read 3464 times)

Offline HappehLemons

• bit
    • View Profile
Best android phone for Mupen64 AE?
« on: October 18, 2016, 06:06:02 PM »
Hey I wanted to pick up a phone so I could play Mupen64 on the go - whats a good phone to pick up? I want to be able to play the demanding games like DK64 and Conkers bad fur day. I don't know to much about android phones so I wanted to make sure I picked up a good one.

Tablets are too big :)

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
Re: Best android phone for Mupen64 AE?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 10:34:03 PM »
The phones that I see that play it the best so far are phones with a Mali GPU, like the Galaxy S6 or Galaxy S7 Exynos variants. They have the least glitches with GLideN64.

Offline HappehLemons

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 07:44:23 AM »
The phones that I see that play it the best so far are phones with a Mali GPU, like the Galaxy S6 or Galaxy S7 Exynos variants. They have the least glitches with GLideN64.

Thanks for the information, I had no idea the Galaxy phones have two different CPUs. So should I avoid snapdragon for Mupen64 ae? I saw a lot of tests on youtube of games running pretty well on the Nexus 6P with the snapdragon 820 on it, but the Exynos is the way to go?

Any way to tell on a used phone on ebay what the CPU is?

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 10:59:41 AM »
Qualcomm is not bad, Exynos just works better, but that is really for just GLideN64. I'm not sure about other plugins.

You can tell which variant of a galaxy phone you have by looking at the model number. Usually, the international versions use Exynos, while the US versions user Qualcomm.

Offline HappehLemons

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 12:59:40 PM »
Qualcomm is not bad, Exynos just works better, but that is really for just GLideN64. I'm not sure about other plugins.

You can tell which variant of a galaxy phone you have by looking at the model number. Usually, the international versions use Exynos, while the US versions user Qualcomm.

Is that only for the S7? Looks like from my research that all S6s have the Exynos. Thinking of just picking one of those up.

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 03:55:49 PM »
Yeah, S7 only.

Offline HappehLemons

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 04:00:38 PM »
Yeah, S7 only.

Awesome, thanks for the information. I think I'm going to grab a S6 in that case. Can't wait to try out this emulator!

Offline Tommy78

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 04:13:09 PM »
The S6 doesn't have an SD card slot, keep that in mind if you need a lot of storage space. The S7 would be a better option.

Offline HappehLemons

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 09:30:50 PM »
The S6 doesn't have an SD card slot, keep that in mind if you need a lot of storage space. The S7 would be a better option.

No way! That's insane. I just assumed all android phones has an sdcard slot.

The thing with the s7 is that to get the exynos version you have to pay a lot more, and the international version of the phone seems to be limited in the states, which seems to be the only version without the snapdragon cpu

It's hard to justify spending what looks to be 300 extra dollars just to play this emulator :/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:35:29 PM by HappehLemons »

Offline Tommy78

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 11:07:52 PM »
The Snapdragon variant is fine in my opinion. The S7 is a really fast phone either way. I'm still on the S4 and most things run well. I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 12:07:43 AM »
What I have been saying only really applies to GLideN64-GLES-3.x. If it comes down to it, the Qualcomm snapdragon is not bad since we have workarounds for all the issues. The only big remaining issue is the Copy Color Buffer to RDRAM is slow in Snapdragon with GLideN64. I'm hoping to have a fix for that soon though.

Offline HappehLemons

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »
What I have been saying only really applies to GLideN64-GLES-3.x. If it comes down to it, the Qualcomm snapdragon is not bad since we have workarounds for all the issues. The only big remaining issue is the Copy Color Buffer to RDRAM is slow in Snapdragon with GLideN64. I'm hoping to have a fix for that soon though.

Cool, thanks for all the help.

One last question, I see a lot of people talking about the fz build on these forums. Is that a build that you're working on? When I start using Mupen64 on android should I start using AE, or the FZ build I see on the android store? I noticed that on the store the FZ builds description says it's based off of mupen 2.5, where it seems like the original build (ae) is at 3.0. Just trying to understand what the differences are between ae 3.0 and the fz build and what the better emulator is.

Thanks!

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 10:00:49 AM »
The FZ builds and the AE 3.0 builds both use Mupen64Plus 2.5. We are a front end to Mupen64Plus 2.5. 3.0 is the front end version. The FZ build is basically the play store version of the AE 3.0 builds.