Author Topic: issues saving/loading games.  (Read 10370 times)

Offline sigma

• byte
    • View Profile
issues saving/loading games.
« on: July 01, 2013, 01:21:23 PM »
I've been playing ocarina of time on mupen64 plus AE on my ouya lately and i've noticed that the saving is quite confusing. every time i save, i save 3 ways. theres the regular saving in-game menu, then theres saving to a slot (slot0), and "save to file" (which i named z1). i like how regularly i can just resume the game from the autosave, but when my ouya gets unplugged, i have no way of loading from any of my saves. i select the save from storage/sdcard0/mupen64plus (trying every zelda file there is) and none of them work. when i go to "play" then either "resume" or "restart, it just takes me back to the main mupen64 menu after saying "launching emulator...". in a pop up at the bottom for about 1/2 a second. so i tried to load all of the zelda saves from my usb drive and the exact same thing happens. so am i saving wrong? am i not selecting the right file to load? or can you just not play long-term games on the mupen64plus AE?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: issues saving/loading games.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »
You do not resume or restart from a save file.  You launch the game normally, then load the file from the in-game menu.  It must be in the proper folder (same folder you copied it from, if you are moving save files from one device to another).  For the slots, simply do a load-slot.  And there are also the in-game saves which you load the normal way (For OOT that is in the first menu when you launch the game and press Start).
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline sigma

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 03:33:05 PM »
there is no way to play a game without clicking either resume or restart (after selecting play in the mupen64 menu) unless i'm missing something. and theres no way to play without selecting a save file. the only file i can get to load is the original ROM from my usb drive and when i go in-game to select the file to load, all 3 slots are empty. i guess i'm selecting the wrong file (called game in the mupen64 menu) and need help figuring out which one is the right one. i'm pretty sure i've tried them all, but i could be wrong.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 10:01:45 AM »
Ok, your terminology threw me off.

In the very first menu, you are selecting the game ROM (not save file).  This is a file that ends in v64, n64, z64.

Then you press Play, then press Resume or Restart.  The game will launch where you left off, or at the beginning. Then from inside the game, tap the home button thingy to bring up Mupen's in-game menu, select Load file... and select the file you created earlier.
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline sigma

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »
when i select "load from file" from the in-game mupen64 menu, it says "load from file..." and nothing shows up. the only thing i can select is "cancel". i followed the directions you gave, unless i selected the wrong ROM. i selected the original ROM from my flash drive. (zelda - ocarina of time.z64) (btw, i've seen your youtube video of you playing it and i'm pretty sure we have the same one because we have the same glitches/ unpolished things(idk))  is there something i'm missing or am i supposed to select a different ROM?

Offline sigma

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »
this is just a guess, and i'll feel really stupid if i'm right, but was i supposed to change the 'game save folder" nder advanced settings to save to my flash drive instead of the sdcard thingy?

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 05:48:54 PM »
You shouldn't have to touch anything out of the box, the defaults should be good.  It doesn't save gamestates in the same folder as the ROM, so that shouldn't be an issue.  Let me go try this now on my OUYA.
OUYA, retail version

Offline sigma

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 02:35:56 PM »
i've been vacationing with family, sorry. but did you come up with anything?

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 03:07:51 PM »
Come up with anything what?  There's not enough information here to define the problem that needs solving.

My guess is that you never actually saved your game state.  Try the following steps, exactly as I have written them:
 1. In the opening menu, select a game that you know works well with the emulator.  This will be the ROM file ending with .z64, .v64, or .n64.
 2. Select Play, then select Restart.
 3. Play around in the game for a while, do whatever.
 4. In the in-game menu, select "Save slot".
 5. Now play around for a while more.
 6. In the in-game menu, select "Load slot".  You should be back to where you were in step 4.
 7. Try this some more, changing the slot number, and saving and loading.
 8. Now try saving your game state.
      a. In the in-game menu, select "Save file..."
      b. Type a name, any name, for example "defeated-big-boss" or "reached-60-stars" etc.
      c. Press Ok
 9. Play around for a while
 10. Now try loading your game state
      a. In the in-game menu, select "Load file..."
      b. You should see the name of the savefile you just created
      c. Select the savefile and you should return to where you were in step 8.

If the app still doesn't seem to behave properly, just post back.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:28:51 PM by littleguy »
OUYA, retail version

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 03:09:03 PM »
BTW the purpose of providing three types of saving:

- File saves are where you should save game progress long-term.  You might save right after you level up in a game, or right before a big boss, or whatever.  These are viewed as more permanent saves.  Like you stop playing Super Mario 64 and come back to it three months later and want to be sure you pick up where you left off.

- Slot saves are like a personal set of quicksaves.  It's faster than typing out a filename like "temp1" or something, and reduces file clutter.  You might use one right before a difficult jump in a platform game, or a hard part, etc.  They're generally used for these temporary kinds of things.

- Autosave is used strictly by the app to ensure that you don't lose progress if your battery dies or you're interrupted by a phone call.  You should never rely solely on autosaves to save your progress; use one of the other methods to be safe.
OUYA, retail version

Offline sigma

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »
i'm sorry i didn't explain well enough. i am having issues loading the actual file saves. i cannot unplug my usb/ turn off my ouya/ do anything without losing my save data. that should not happen in my opinion. i saved all three ways when i played and now i have no idea how to load my file save.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 03:31:01 PM »
1) When done playing, choose "Exit" from the in-game menu (A button), or double-tap home.

2) Turn your OUYA off, unplug USB stick, whatever.

3) When you are ready to play again, start the emulator

4) Select the same game you were playing in step 1

5) Press Play

6) Press Resume

Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline sigma

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »
i've already messed up my autosaves and quick saves. all i have is the file save.