Poll

do/did you have trouble saving or loading games on mupen64?

yes
no
no, i'm a dev here.

Author Topic: saving. wtf.  (Read 8499 times)

Offline sigma

• byte
    • View Profile
saving. wtf.
« on: July 08, 2013, 02:40:29 PM »
i've noticed that i'm not the only one having issues saving/loading games on mupen64. the problem seems to be not just on ouya, but android and other forums here. if someone could just give a quick tutorial on how to save/ load games correctly (preferably OOC, since i've seen others having trouble with it) i'm sure it would help a lot of people and save a lot of time. there are about 5 ways to save a game and it's too complicated for a lot of us beginners.

Offline Tom.K

• Green Team
  • long
    • View Profile
Re: saving. wtf.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:07:33 PM »
EDIT: Didn't saw this: http://www.paulscode.com/forum/index.php?topic=1101.0;topicseen
They've explained it as far as it looks.

Every time when you close game, it's supposed to save current state. When you want to continue playing from place you've started, you're supposed to use Resume option (which loads saved state), not Restart (which starts the game without loading saved state). You can't disable this auto-saving option as when it's possible to disable it, there may be some unexpected issues while saving/loading state.

The other way is saving and loading manually using Slots (0,1,2,3,4 if I'm not wrong). While in-game, open menu, pick a slot, then save and later whenever you've just loaded game using restart or resume, you load that slot.

There shouldn't be any issues with saving eitherway. In case that auto-save doesn't work, use manual. If you're still experiencing issues, mention them to see where's the problem (the main issue can be only very low RAM which is almost impossible with current generations of Android devices).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:11:40 PM by Tom.K »

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:11:27 PM »
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 03:15:06 PM »
Regarding why there are different ways to save I'll repeat it here:

- File saves are where you should save game progress long-term.  You might save right after you level up in a game, or right before a big boss, or whatever.  These are viewed as more permanent saves.  Like you stop playing Super Mario 64 and come back to it three months later and want to be sure you pick up where you left off.

- Slot saves are like a personal set of quicksaves.  It's faster than typing out a filename like "temp1" or something, and reduces file clutter.  You might use one right before a difficult jump in a platform game, or a hard part, etc.  They're generally used for these temporary kinds of things.

- Autosave is used strictly by the app to ensure that you don't lose progress if your battery dies or you're interrupted by a phone call.  You should never rely solely on autosaves to save your progress; use one of the other methods to be safe.

If you want to complain about the need for autosave, read this post first.
OUYA, retail version

Offline sigma

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 03:18:53 PM »
thank you. how do i load the autosave?

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 03:20:50 PM »
By selecting "Resume" rather than "Restart" when you first launch the game.
OUYA, retail version

Offline sigma

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 03:23:39 PM »
sorry i meant how do i load the file save.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 03:27:22 PM »
I laid it out STEP_BY_STEP in the link a few posts back.  It says EXACTLY what you need to do.  What did I say that's still confusing you?
OUYA, retail version

Offline sigma

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 03:29:12 PM »
i'm not seeing where you explained how to load a file save. i have a file save and i'm wanting to know how to open it up and play it again.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 03:30:26 PM »
One more time:

1. In the opening menu, select a game that you know works well with the emulator.  This will be the ROM file ending with .z64, .v64, or .n64.
 2. Select Play, then select Restart.
 3. Play around in the game for a while, do whatever.
 4. In the in-game menu, select "Save slot".
 5. Now play around for a while more.
 6. In the in-game menu, select "Load slot".  You should be back to where you were in step 4.
 7. Try this some more, changing the slot number, and saving and loading.
 8. Now try saving your game state.
      a. In the in-game menu, select "Save file..."
      b. Type a name, any name, for example "defeated-big-boss" or "reached-60-stars" etc.
      c. Press Ok
 9. Play around for a while
 10. Now try loading your game state
      a. In the in-game menu, select "Load file..."
      b. You should see the name of the savefile you just created
      c. Select the savefile and you should return to where you were in step 8.

Step 10.
OUYA, retail version

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 03:33:07 PM »
Step 10.

Note that you must complete Step 8 before you can do Step 10.  :P
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline sigma

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
this is where i'm having the problem. i've stated that when (in game) i select "load from file..."  it pauses the game, a new window pops up saying "load from file..." with the option to cancel and that is it. there is no file to select, but the file is on my usb. ( i did step 8 and named it "z1". i am currently looking at it on my flash drive but it does not show up when i select "load from file" in game.)

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 03:39:35 PM »
Save files are saved to the OUYA's internal storage ("sdcard") in the mupen64plus subdirectory.  Not the USB stick.

Edit: Unless you changed the location in the advanced settings.  I recommend you just reset your settings to the default values.  Maybe you messed up the setting.
OUYA, retail version

Offline sigma

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
i did. the problem seems to be that the mupen64 has no way of loading save files from anywhere but the original save slot, but for some reason you have the option to change it. i want to be able to save a game on my usb and be able to play it on any other ouya. if something happens to the ouya, i guess it just sucks for the user?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 03:47:24 PM »
this is where i'm having the problem. i've stated that when (in game) i select "load from file..."  it pauses the game, a new window pops up saying "load from file..." with the option to cancel and that is it. there is no file to select, but the file is on my usb. ( i did step 8 and named it "z1". i am currently looking at it on my flash drive but it does not show up when i select "load from file" in game.)

It should not have saved to your flash drive.  It should have saved to [storage]/mupen64plus/[rom filename]/z1.  I'm guessing you changed the "Game save folder" in the advanced settings when you created the save state.  In order to load it, you will have to change that setting back to whatever it was when you saved the file (or move the file to the default location).  Note that the folder you select needs to be the parent of the folder with the rom filename.  So if the path to your file is /mnt/usb/mario64.n64/z1, then for the "Game save folder" you need to select "/mnt/usb", NOT "/mnt/usb/mario64.n64".  That is why this setting is in the Advanced menu (so folks don't go around messing with it unless they are comfortable with how the app works)

Since this is a poll about saving being too complicated, it would be helpful to also post how you would rather see the system work.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted