Author Topic: Work on speed  (Read 2248 times)

Offline zack

• Developer
  • byte
    • View Profile
    • InfuseDreams
Work on speed
« on: December 04, 2013, 01:45:55 PM »
Is anyone working on trying to optimise the emulator currently?
My nexus 4 handles conkers bad fur day just as slowly as my samsung galaxy s2 does. So I believe we have a bottleneck somewhere (just talking out loud, haven't looked into this yet)

Just curious as to what our plans are to tackle this.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: Work on speed
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 04:07:54 PM »
Well the plan is to eventually get someone with strong GLES experience to stop by and work on optimizing the video plugins.  That is the main speed bottleneck.  I typically use N64oid's video plugin and gles2rice for comparison-- since both are ports of Rice, but Yongzh's is quite a bit more optimized.

After the video plugins, the next potential area for optimization might be anywhere assembly language could be used for high-traffic functions anywhere in the program (the key here being that both x86 and ARM (and possibly ARMv7a -- and maybe even eventually AMD64 and MIPPS) versions would need to be written.  This would require a dedicated dev with strong assembly language skills.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
The list of issues is quite long and at this point spread out over many places (forum threads, github issues, emails, PMs, play store).  What do you guys think if I start organizing this all into a tree on the github wiki?  Not a user-facing thing, but more a technical thing for developers.  Having not played the vast majority of the games out there, I constantly mix titles up in my head (paper mario, mario party) (anything with pokemon in the title) etc.
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline zack

• Developer
  • byte
    • View Profile
    • InfuseDreams
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:53:37 AM »
Well the plan is to eventually get someone with strong GLES experience to stop by and work on optimizing the video plugins.  That is the main speed bottleneck.  I typically use N64oid's video plugin and gles2rice for comparison-- since both are ports of Rice, but Yongzh's is quite a bit more optimized.

After the video plugins, the next potential area for optimization might be anywhere assembly language could be used for high-traffic functions anywhere in the program (the key here being that both x86 and ARM (and possibly ARMv7a -- and maybe even eventually AMD64 and MIPPS) versions would need to be written.  This would require a dedicated dev with strong assembly language skills.

Thanks for the input.
I wouldn't say my GLES experience was strong, but should be sufficient to improve the video plugins I hope :)