Author Topic: where can I find the Windows version of Mupen64Plus?  (Read 11999 times)

Offline gearZ

• bit
    • View Profile
where can I find the Windows version of Mupen64Plus?
« on: January 20, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »
I have and LOVE Mupen64Plus AE, but I want to know where I can find the latest version of Mupen64 for Windows. I found a really old version on anothet site, but it doesn't do everything the Android Edition does. The only other file I can find is the binary on your Google page which I have no clue how to use. If someone can please point me in the right direction I would appreciate it greatly.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: where can I find the Windows version of Mupen64Plus?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »
A good resource for vanilla Mupen64Plus for the PC, is the emutalk board.  Latest released Mupen64Plus builds are available in this thread.

Note the Mupen64Plus is actually a library versus a stand-alone application like Project64 for example (i.e. it doesn't come with a GUI/ front end).  Many folks have written front-ends for various systems (Mupen64Plus AE is itself a front-end for Android, utilizing the core Mupen64Plus library).  I'm not familiar with which front-ends are good for Windows (I use Linux myself, and when testing I typically launch Mupen64Plus from the command line, not using a GUI at all).  I'm sure you'll find some good information about it on EmuTalk though.  The above thread links to a list of 3rd-party plugins here.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:48:40 AM by Paul »
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 11:49:37 AM »
Google is your friend.

This is the master version from which all others are based.  It has a simple command-line interface that is well-documented.
http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/

There are some additional front-ends that replace the command line interface with a GUI, but are not always up-to-date.
http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins

BTW - What features from the android edition do you miss in the windows version?
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline gearZ

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:55:07 AM »
Thanks foor the help. I think I'lltry one of those front ends. Command lines scare me...

Offline gearZ

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »
Google is your friend.

This is the master version from which all others are based.  It has a simple command-line interface that is well-documented.
newbielink:http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/ [nonactive]

There are some additional front-ends that replace the command line interface with a GUI, but are not always up-to-date.
newbielink:http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins [nonactive]

BTW - What features from the android edition do you miss in the windows version?

the gui that I found doesn't have an option to load save states from a file. Hopefully this one does...

Offline Tom.K

• Green Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »
Most of those front-ends are messed up on windows and less user-friendly than on Android. I've tried few of them and each either crashes, doesn't save settings, causes unknown change which can't be reversed or they do not support new features as some of them are bundled with outdated versions of M64+. I'm not even sure are they still in development. For now, M64Py seems to work fine for me, but it's still not fully user-friendly.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »
The command line interface works well and it's really not hard to use.
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline gearZ

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »
I'm sorry I am just such a noob  :(  I have it open in the command line but I have absolutely no idea how to start using this. All I want to do is open up Zelda OOT and load the save file from the android version on my tablet so I can play it on the computer. How do I properly set everything up and load save states? Thanks everyone for the responses, I just have no clue what I'm doing...

Offline relaps

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 07:58:38 AM »
i'm just looking into this also. i saw richard42 made an entry on the google code site stating many things have grown since july 2013.  has anybody on here compiled the latest available code?  is it functional? any better performance than regular 2.0?  noticeable performance gain when compiled to x64 or amd64?