Author Topic: Instructions For Loading Roms  (Read 10836 times)

Offline GrangerFX

• bit
    • View Profile
Instructions For Loading Roms
« on: May 06, 2013, 11:44:46 PM »
Can you please post some clear instructions for how to load ROMs into the Ouya version of Mupen64Plus AE? I would like to use a USB thumb drive to load the ROMs. This method works well for EMUya. In that app, you format a USB thumb drive for NTFS, copy the ROMs into the ROMS folder on the thumb drive on a computer and then insert it into the OUYA. The app then recognizes the ROMs when you start it. Can you do something like that for Mupen64Plus?

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
Re: Instructions For Loading Roms
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:56:06 AM »
Mupen allows you to store your roms wherever you like, be it internally or externally.  If you can locate the roms using an android file manager app, then you can use them in mupen.  In the main menu, you should be able to click "Game" then navigate through the directories to wherever your roms are located.  Is this not working for you?
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:06:36 AM »
Easiest way (if you don't need the USB port) is to just throw them on a USB stick and play them right off there.  If you need them on the internal storage, you can either use a file manager app (not sure if there are any good ones for OUYA - I use Astro, but it takes a little getting used to without a touchscreen), or you can upload them somewhere and then download them directly from the OUYA.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline GrangerFX

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:51:26 AM »
Thanks Paul. I am new to Android. I spent quite a bit of time navigating through the folders and managed to find the path where the files on the the thumb drive are located:

/usbdrive/...

You have to navigate up to the root and then scroll down to usbdrive. Any files and folders on the thumb drive are in there. It would be great if there was some kind of preview of each of the games. EMUya does a nice job of previewing the ROMs.

In general, please consider that the Ouya is game console and users will probably not be programmers or Android experts. Right now there is not a lot of information available for new Ouya users so we can use as much help as we can get. You may want to check a few standard paths on the USB drive for N64 roms automatically. N64/ROMS or N64ROMS or just ROMS. We may be using several emulators of different platforms so stuffing everything in ROMS is probably not a good idea. With its wireless controller and HDMI video, I think that Ouya will become the ultimate game emulator.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:03:22 AM by GrangerFX »

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 11:03:17 AM »
I'll have to look when I get home this evening, but I think USB thumb drives mount somewhere like /mnt/usbStorage0/.  I'll let you know specifically what it is if you still can't find it (and I'll add it to the FAQ page).  My usual advice to folks is that the ROMs are wherever you put them, but in this case finding where a flash drive is located in the file system does require some additional knowledge that folks might not have.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline GrangerFX

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:04:18 AM »
Thanks again. I was editing my message when you posted your reply.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 11:20:08 AM »
What do you mean by "previewing" the ROMs?  Notwithstanding the difficulty of providing imagery for each and every possible ROM out there, I think we would also be in a legal quagmire...
OUYA, retail version

Offline GrangerFX

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 11:23:44 AM »
The way EMUya does it is that they actually run each game ROM in a different viewport and scroll the viewports horizontally like cover flow. Since most games have a welcome screen and attract mode this works out rather well. The frame rate is not great but they just skip frames when needed. Paul would have to instance the emulator engine and run several at the same time to get previews of multiple games.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »
Sounds cool.  But that also highlights the difference between creating an NES vs. N64 emulator.  The NES cores are so mature and so much less computationally demanding that devs have the luxury of focusing their effort on the front-end eye candy.  We're still working on basic things like rendering bugs, hardware incompatibilities, and framerates :P
OUYA, retail version

Offline GrangerFX

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »
I agree. Put this suggestion on the back burner for now.

Offline rredroverr

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 05:46:20 AM »
I haven't used emulators in many years, so maybe I'm missing something?

But the long and short of it is: I can't see my ROMs on my android and I can't seem to find a relevant troubleshoot guide. I feel like there is such an obvious solution yet I'm not getting it.... I've Googled and what not so please don't consider me lazy, maybe blind tho lol

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A
Downloaded Mupen64plus FZ Today
Using internal storage via file manager
Created a rom folder and subsequent folder for n64 containing rom & using the N64 one as parent folder
I've tried clicking on rom, it pulls up in search but not to load
Deactivated cover image as I hear it can create a blank space to scroll thru (but I've scrolled anyway just in case with and without it)
Got my rom from loveROMs.com and about to try elsewhere
Specific game LOZ:OOT

I'm at a loss :( I want my ocarina fix since I lost my gc/64 av input. Pls halllp and thanks in advance

Ideas/suggestions/questions/comments/solutions?

Offline rredroverr

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 06:01:37 AM »
Pfff i fixed it. Just unzipped the damn thing, jeez.

Thanks for the brainstorm

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 07:32:20 PM »
Were the ROMs compressed as 7zip by any chance?