Author Topic: Animal Forest and adding Gameshark codes  (Read 5522 times)

Offline EddieStark111

• bit
    • View Profile
Animal Forest and adding Gameshark codes
« on: April 25, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
Hello,
I'm a major n00b, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking stupid questions, but here goes.
So I recently applied this patch for Doubutsu no Mori (Animal Forest) to translate it to English because it was only ever released in Japan. It's basically a very early version of Animal Crossing that was released for n64. Naturally, when I heard aboit this, I jumped on it (Who wouldn't want to play Animal Crossing on their tablet with Mupen64?). Unfortunately, there is a problem. Everything works great, except you can't access saved games after date-sensitive events (i.e. getting a new house) or after changing the time or date of the device on which you are playing. This is kind of a problem because I can't get into my game. According to the developer of the patch, this results from the game believing that there has been a corrupted save file (something about a "damaged clock test"). There are two ways in which this can be fixed, according to the developer of the patch. I can either a.) Add the gameshark code 8008F443 0000 or b.) Enter "memory editor" and set byte 8008F443 from 1 to 0. Now, I know that one can edit gameshark codes in mupencheat.txt and mupen64plus.cht, but how? Like what do I type once I get into those files? Also, if anybody knows anything about this specific problem or something similar, I'm up for suggestions about that too. Thanks.

Offline xperia64

• double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
Re: Animal Forest and adding Gameshark codes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »
I added entries for Animal Forest to the default cheat database. If version 3 is ever completed, it will also have a built in cheat editor. (Btw I never new that a gameshark fix code existed, I will test it soon).

Offline EddieStark111

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »
I cannot see any cheats for the game. The emulator doesn't appear to have any. While we're at it, did you know of any other ways to fix this problem?

Offline xperia64

• double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »

Offline EddieStark111

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »
Thanks for your help, but that didn't change anything. I'm using the patched ROM, which might be the reason that no cheats are showing up. I really just need to completely break the internal clock; that appears to be the cause of the inability to load saves. Unfortunately, I don't know how.

Offline EddieStark111

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 08:43:37 PM »
Okay, so I just now tested the original ROM in Japanese, and the cheats showed up on that one. Now is it possible for them to show up on the patched English version? Thanks.

Offline xperia64

• double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
The cheat database I uploaded is designed for the newer patch, not the prepatched older translation that's floating around (The old one shouldn't even break). I'll check if that cheat works once I upgrade my house.

In the mean time, loading a "broken" save in a completely untranslated ROM will fix it being broken.

Also, the cheats for the untranslated one were already built in. The translated one should have a "Save Hang Fix" cheat first on the list.

Edit: This cheat does not fix the save loading issue. You'll just have to load your save in an untranslated version, save&quit, then load the save again.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:11:07 PM by xperia64 »