Author Topic: 3.0 Alpha Testing  (Read 325805 times)

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0 Alpha Testing
« Reply #405 on: January 15, 2015, 07:42:38 AM »
I think my problem is that the mediaserver is serving the images even when the app is not in focus,causing unreasonable battery drain if you don't manually force stop the app.

Does the cover art still show up in your photo gallery with the latest auto-builds?  You might need to clear the mediaserver app data from the Android settings and/or reboot.  If you still see cover art in the photo gallery, check to be sure you don't have copies of the cover art in a stale folder somewhere.  Click on the image in the photo gallery then hit the menu to see its properties and check its file path.  Nothing in mupen64plusae-v3-alpha should be visible to mediaserver any longer.

If you're still having problems, try this link: http://geeknizer.com/fix-android-media-server-scanner-sdcard-cpu-battery-drain/

If you still having problems after that, uninstall all mupen apps just to be sure the issue is truly caused by mupen.  Perhaps another app you recently installed is creating the issue.

Please add an option to disable cover art primarily for the sake of battery life for my tablet and all other peoples tablets/phones. :(
Next alpha will support:
 - cover art located in a sub-folder, which you can manually delete if you want to save space

Is this not a good enough solution for you?
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline retroben

• float
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 15, 2015, 01:03:07 PM »
The mediaserver did not appear until I started using the Alpha build with the cover art.
There was no sign of mediaserver on the battery in either the 2.4.4 stable build or the one made by Gillou,which I used both of before installing the Alpha.

I rarely use the tablet all that much so I hardly run anything else,and yet I lose 4% or 5% battery in a matter of moments.
I spent a large chunk of time turning off every single location and sync setting and disabling a lot of bulky apps i'd never use.

I think it would be simpler to make the customizations for the choice to not use cover art and instead mimic the N64oid style game list.

>:( ...The other MAJOR annoyance I just realized is the fact I can't just browse and select anything anymore because newly placed game roms will not be in the list,so I have to wait for the refreshing to finish (FireTV's crappy read speed) in order to select that newly placed game.
It could get even worse when you have one in another folder that you have to refresh for in order to get it listed,only to have the other ones disappear from the list as a result of being in another folder.
This new "refresh" method is very flawed in the way that it limits your control and can hinder proper file access.
It is one step away from being as difficult as MAME which limits you to exact fileset perfection.

I am sorry about my rant of this,I truly am. :(
You could still make cover art optional and change the refresh button to a detection button so it can still use cover art while being in full listing mode,which can always have a filetype filter with only n64,v64,z64,zip,N64,V64,Z64,and ZIP as the displayed filetypes for quickly accessing them in folders with tons of other files.

I also just thought of an interesting idea of adding a favorites lister for placing favorite games in a quick access page.

Again,I apologize for my cruel harshness. :(

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 15, 2015, 01:22:09 PM »
Thanks, I can understand the frustration, that makes sense.  Thanks for keeping a lid on inflammatory words.

Just to be clear, 90% of the time taken during the refresh is the calculation of the MD5 sum, which is used to uniquely identify the ROM and obtain the correct meta info.  Scanning the disk and downloading the cover art is only a small fraction of the time.  Just want to mention it in case anyone thinks scanning and downloading are consuming all the time.

The scan and cache has both features and flaws.  If you don't precompute the MD5 sum, then you have to do it on-demand.  If you don't change your set of ROMs too often, this adds up to a lot of time savings.  This was the idea proposed in the 3.0 Brainstorming thread in Developer's Corner of the forum.  I have not made the decision unilaterally.  But now that we have a better appreciation for the flaws, it would be good to revisit the design choices.

With that in mind, I'd like to open this topic up to discussion again.  Everyone, please weigh in.  I will try my best to only listen and not shoot down ideas prematurely.
OUYA, retail version

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 15, 2015, 01:24:14 PM »
@retroben - Regarding battery life, have you deleted all the cover art from your disk?  The app will still run fine if the cover art images are missing.
OUYA, retail version

Offline retroben

• float
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 15, 2015, 01:51:01 PM »
I have recently done so and have also just found and installed Mediaserver Killer (root),by rori of XDA Forums.
Now I should hopefully get the longer battery life my device deserves.

It even has a nifty ignore list so things like music apps will not be messed with,as it won't be killed when an ignored app is used.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 15, 2015, 02:22:52 PM »
Also keep in mind that all of the alphas so far are just using a dummy gallery screen.  Paul is working on the real one, which from the sounds of it is much more careful about memory and stuff.  It will share little (if any) code with the current dummy code.  If mediaserver interacts with the running app, that would be good for Paul to beware of.
OUYA, retail version

Offline xperia64

• double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
« Reply #411 on: January 15, 2015, 02:30:53 PM »
The zip file I tried earlier has 504b0304

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 15, 2015, 02:34:26 PM »
It should have found it then.  Must have had an issue with the entry in the zip file.  I'll try to release Alpha16 tonight, which will have a much more informative UI about the scan/extract process.

Edit: You can also check the logcat directly from the Gallery.  See About -> Logcat.  That should tell you where the search is failing (including any exception messages).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:36:03 PM by littleguy »
OUYA, retail version

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 15, 2015, 03:48:46 PM »
>:( ...The other MAJOR annoyance I just realized is the fact I can't just browse and select anything anymore because newly placed game roms will not be in the list,so I have to wait for the refreshing to finish (FireTV's crappy read speed) in order to select that newly placed game. It could get even worse when you have one in another folder that you have to refresh for in order to get it listed,only to have the other ones disappear from the list as a result of being in another folder.

You could still make cover art optional and change the refresh button to a detection button so it can still use cover art while being in full listing mode,which can always have a filetype filter with only n64,v64,z64,zip,N64,V64,Z64,and ZIP as the displayed filetypes for quickly accessing them in folders with tons of other files.

These are very good observations.  How about this idea: Replace the "Refresh ROMs" button with a drop-down menu, containing:
 - Auto-detect ROMs
 - Add ROM
 - Clear gallery

The first menu item works exactly as it does now, *except* that it doesn't remove tiles that already exist in the gallery.  This allows you to cherry-pick a few folders in different locations.  Just repeat for each unique folder.

The second menu item allows you to add a single ROM to your gallery.  After you select a single ROM, a new tile is added to the gallery (if the ROM isn't already there).  Next time you want to play that ROM, you can just click the tile.

The third menu item clears the GalleryCache directory, removing all cover art, unzipped roms, and list of known ROMs.

Edit: The first and second items could even be merged, so that you select either a single ROM or a directory from the same popup.

On another topic, in the auto-search I will add something to allow you to skip zips and cover art if you want to save a bit of space/time.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:50:48 PM by littleguy »
OUYA, retail version

Offline xperia64

• double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
« Reply #414 on: January 15, 2015, 04:07:44 PM »
It just says CacheRomInfoTask: Found zip file Pilotwings 64 (USA).zip

Offline rafar

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 15, 2015, 04:13:31 PM »
It would be nice if you change a image of the image folder, it doesnot be overwrited if you "refresh roms". I dont know if it is possible to do that... so I use to change perfect dark and ocarina of time images manually for the PAL images.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 15, 2015, 04:27:08 PM »
It just says CacheRomInfoTask: Found zip file Pilotwings 64 (USA).zip

If you didn't see any exception messages, that confirms it.  Whatever ROM is inside the zip isn't being detected.  I can add more logging in the next iteration.  I will also double check for bugs.
OUYA, retail version

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 15, 2015, 09:35:55 PM »
Next alpha will have a better progress dialog when scanning for ROMs.  Autobuild here if you can't wait.
OUYA, retail version

Offline rafar

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 16, 2015, 08:24:57 AM »
Almost every rom dissapeared with new build when I did a new "refresh roms".  Only were found 7 or 8 roms. All of my roms have .n64 extension.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:28:53 AM by rafar »

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 16, 2015, 08:38:43 AM »
Thanks.  Did the app crash or get put in the background during the scan?

Run the scan again.  When it's finished, go to Help -> Logcat... from the gallery screen, and post the text here (you can use the "Share" button in the popup to copy to clipboard).
OUYA, retail version