Author Topic: 3.0 Alpha Testing  (Read 330949 times)

Offline retroben

• float
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0 Alpha Testing
« Reply #270 on: January 01, 2015, 03:17:28 PM »
I still have the last Gillou build apk before it was taken down to avoid "confusion" apparently.

Curse this dreaded cold chill today!  >:(
I will probably take a lot longer to test the Alpha because of this coldness. :(

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #271 on: January 01, 2015, 03:27:38 PM »
The confusion comes from the fact that it is not in the direct ancestry of the Alpha tests.  Like I mentioned you can post it, just not on this thread which is about the alpha tests.  Comparisons are really not helpful though without a link to the commit (assuming it was pushed to github).
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline xperia64

• double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
« Reply #272 on: January 01, 2015, 03:37:43 PM »
I have started to manually bisect Gillou's branch in hopes I can find something.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 01, 2015, 03:50:39 PM »
Also, sorry to bring it up again, but whatever version of Gillou's build I have does NOT crash when exiting, unlike master which crashes on some pthread issue.

The reason the crash still exists in Alpha12 is because I haven't started working on it yet ;)  I wanted to get us all synced up with upstream before diving into the front-end Android stuff.  We are now very close to perfect sync so I will probably be addressing all these things in the next week or two.

I already dissected Gilles' (and xperia64's) branches several weeks ago, and archived them here:
https://github.com/littleguy77/mupen64plus-ae/branches/all

so I have a pretty good handle on the diffs between Gilles' build and the alpha tests.  I'm pretty sure it's a lifecycle thing, related to unloading a library or destroying a thread, as those are some of the principal remaining differences between Gilles' branch and the mainline.  Probably the easiest workflow is for me to start a little branch that xperia64 can test, and the two of us can iterate until we find the fix.

Additionally, I prefer how Gillou moved the rendering resolution and screen stretch settings from Global settings into the emulation profiles, useful with the rice wide screen hack setting for example.

Yeah, I was going to bring that up for discussion on the brainstorming thread after I took care of the more critical fixes.  There are a few pros and cons that are worth discussing before I make the switch (it's not hard to do).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:52:45 PM by littleguy »
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline retroben

• float
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 01, 2015, 03:52:54 PM »
The offscreen audio is no longer getting distortion with Banjo-Kazooie on Alpha 12. ;D

One minor GUI bug from updating to 12 made my added cheats hidden and internally disabled,but I easily fixed it by saving the cheats again to refresh the list.

Offline xperia64

• double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
« Reply #275 on: January 01, 2015, 03:56:28 PM »
-snip-
Fair enough. And part of the crash is fixed, as when the native crash kicks me back to galleryactivity I can select a game again without having to completely kill the app.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 01, 2015, 03:56:52 PM »
The offscreen audio is no longer getting distortion with Banjo-Kazooie on Alpha 12. ;D

Awesome!  Alpha12 re-enabled audio resampling by reverting to the upstream implementation.  Must have been the cause of the problem.

One minor GUI bug from updating to 12 made my added cheats hidden and internally disabled,but I easily fixed it by saving the cheats again to refresh the list.

Just so I understand, did you use the built-in cheat editor in the app, or did you manually modify mupencheat with a text editor?
OUYA, retail version

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #277 on: January 01, 2015, 04:02:11 PM »
I already dissected Gilles' (and xperia64's) branches several weeks ago, and archived them here:
https://github.com/littleguy77/mupen64plus-ae/branches/all

Yep.. comparing commits on those branches will be considerably more useful than comparing to a build without context.  And they can be bisected to find the source of specific behaviors.  ;D
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline xperia64

• double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
« Reply #278 on: January 01, 2015, 04:05:51 PM »

Just so I understand, did you use the built-in cheat editor in the app, or did you manually modify mupencheat with a text editor?
I also noticed this issue with the cheats I added with the built-in editor. The custom cheats are gone until you go into manage cheat codes and save again. Probably because the volatile mupencheat.txt is erased and needs to be recreated after the data is re-extracted.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 01, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »
And they can be bisected to find the source of specific behaviors.  ;D

I split up the original branches simply by dealing out the individual commits to separate branches.  In a few cases I split some of the original commits (e.g. where multiple plugins were modified in the same commit).  So although the content is consolidated, many of the commits may fail to build or run.  They are mostly useful for visually inspecting the modifications and getting the "gist" of what was changed and why.  Probably not useful for blind git-bisecting.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:14:17 PM by littleguy »
OUYA, retail version

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 01, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »
Probably because the volatile mupencheat.txt is erased and needs to be recreated after the data is re-extracted.

My thoughts too.  I thought we had already addressed that but maybe it slipped through the cracks.  Will add to the todo list.
OUYA, retail version

Offline retroben

• float
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 01, 2015, 04:27:48 PM »
DK64 is running great.
The DK Rap had a Kremlin model spaz on the Tiny Kong scene.
I got the tree teleport glitch once,but at least no vines are spazzing out.

Creepy Castle has a spot in front of Snide's HQ with the "club enemy" where the models spaz out and stretch.
It happens normally in other builds,but I neglected to mention it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:29:44 PM by retroben »

Offline SuperL

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 01, 2015, 09:26:29 PM »
The latency is much better on the newest alpha. Hardly any of the audio is out-of-sync with the video.

Paper Mario has an issue, though. I don't know if this is a regression or not but Text becomes invisible at various points.

Offline xperia64

• double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
« Reply #283 on: January 01, 2015, 09:27:08 PM »
The invisible text is a known issue with glide, maybe the other video plugins too.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 01, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »
Paper Mario has an issue, though. I don't know if this is a regression or not but Text becomes invisible at various points.

Thanks.  Do any of the previous alphas resolve the issue?  We are inch-by-inch synchronizing with the desktop version of mupen64plus, and finding regressions (new bugs that weren't in a previous alpha build) is the most important thing for us right now.
OUYA, retail version