Author Topic: 3.0 Alpha Testing  (Read 330959 times)

Offline Blurbsanime

• bit
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0 Alpha Testing
« Reply #810 on: November 20, 2015, 02:01:12 AM »

Immersive mode is enabled in the settings.

Can you try different graphics plugins and see if you still get there issue?

Also, under display settings for a specific game, can you try playing around with resolution and scaling? That was something that was changed recently that could be causing that issue.

Try playing with display settings under the general settings as well.

I have tried everything. Changed the plugins, resolution, I even changed the screen scaling back to original. I also tried switching the screen orientation to reverse landscape to see if it was still there but still no luck.

I tested everything and am still getting the bar at the bottom of the screen. :/ I wonder what is causing it.

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 20, 2015, 04:58:03 PM »
Just to help us narrow down the problem, do you get it in portrait mode?

Offline SuperL

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 20, 2015, 08:10:22 PM »
I just got a Shield tablet in my hands the other day, and have only now been able to reap the benefits of the new GlideN64 plugin. I'm using the latest autobuild.

For the most part, the games run fantastic. I have never seen Donkey Kong 64 running so good on Android, and Mario 64 and Mario Kart are just about flawless.

However, Smash Bros., Paper Mario and Yoshi's Story seem to have regressed. They're not running as fast as they used to, and audio is suffering. Even with all the relevant settings turned down, and with the CPU usage at its highest.

IS there a setting I can tweak? Or will this be fixed in a future autobuild?

Offline retroben

• float
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 20, 2015, 10:01:33 PM »
GLideN64 can be intensive on performance when in higher resolutions,so if you set it to 640x480 for all games,it should run much faster.
Also,if you use HW Lighting or Bloom,they will also hurt performance,and in some games,HW Lighting will trigger a crash.
The 3.0 and 3.1 variants are a bit slower due to more functionality and perfection while the 2.0 variant is faster and lacks the better rendering and has many issues.

I just realized,why isn't there an extra checkbox type for using the defaults for all games in a custom profile?
Such as unchecked is off and checked is on like they normally are,and a filled square uses the ROM Default.

Offline Blurbsanime

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 21, 2015, 12:16:20 AM »
Just to help us narrow down the problem, do you get it in portrait mode?

I don't seem to get the problem with portrait mode, only landscape mode.

Offline SuperL

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 21, 2015, 12:36:28 AM »
GLideN64 can be intensive on performance when in higher resolutions,so if you set it to 640x480 for all games,it should run much faster.
Also,if you use HW Lighting or Bloom,they will also hurt performance,and in some games,HW Lighting will trigger a crash.
The 3.0 and 3.1 variants are a bit slower due to more functionality and perfection while the 2.0 variant is faster and lacks the better rendering and has many issues.

I just realized,why isn't there an extra checkbox type for using the defaults for all games in a custom profile?
Such as unchecked is off and checked is on like they normally are,and a filled square uses the ROM Default.

That's the problem. Smash, PM, and Yoshi are slower compared even to GlideN64 3.0 and 3.1 on earlier builds. Even by the standards set by past autobuilds, they're running particularly slow.

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 21, 2015, 01:20:05 AM »

That's the problem. Smash, PM, and Yoshi are slower compared even to GlideN64 3.0 and 3.1 on earlier builds. Even by the standards set by past autobuilds, they're running particularly slow.

Try making a custom profile and playing around with the frame buffer settings. Enabling certain frame buffer settings can really slow things down. Also make sure that "EnableCopyColorToRDRAM" is set to "2"

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 21, 2015, 06:01:28 PM »
Hmmm, it seems like a few people on Reddit are complaining about performance issues as well, even with the Glide64 fast profile. See here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EmulationOnAndroid/comments/3tpawv/speed_issues_with_mupen64ae/

The performance issues go away if they role back to the July version of the app.

I wonder if something in the core of slowing things down since changing the graphics plugin has no effect.

Offline retroben

• float
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 21, 2015, 09:33:29 PM »
Ya gotta love reddit. ;D (and the unexpected CENA thread too)

One big change after the July 7th master build is the new sidebar merging.
Maybe there is a wait trigger for sliding it into view or something else making emulation slower.
Or the remaining ghost menu on the right side if you press the menu key a few times is causing it.
It might be some changes to code like constant checking of certain conditions,impacting performance.

Could the Castlevania,Glover,or Bomberman crash fixes be the cause of excessive slowdown?
Sadly,fixing game crashes will mostly always cause a steep drop in performance,especially when related to a global function.

I think its time to increase performance with heavy optimizations,tweaks,and possibly some optional and potentially unstable speed hacks.

Offline nakata6790

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 22, 2015, 12:19:50 PM »
  IDK, i tried the July version linked in the reddit topic mentioned above, and then compared it to the 2015-11-04 build.
On the same device, with the same settings (global and per game) and don't see a speed increase?

IMHO people should just experiment with the settings.

For me, i get the best speed with settings like
- rendering resolution (should be @640X480 for heavier games, or if you are on a small screen phone, for all games, really... for conker i set it 360X480, looks ok on my 4 inch phone screen...)
- Flicker reduction hack (OFF for better performance)
- Audio plugin (mupen64plus-audio-sdl, 2.0)
- Audio buffer size (Default for better speed)
- Visual feedback (animate joystick OFF)

To add to the above, programs like GL Tools can also give a small boost if you know how to mess with them and have a rooted device.

IDK...

Offline retroben

• float
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 22, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »
I tried it with "Flicker Reduction" disabled,and it did not help the fps.
Also,I am stuck on buggy Qualcomm/Adreno,so visuals clip through walls,and it actually went slower on Banjo-Tooie (GLideN64 2.0 variant) in some spots due to more stuff being shown.

Offline nakata6790

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 27, 2015, 11:58:39 AM »
 Why do you use GLideN64 GLES 2.0 variant, it's buggy.

Glide64-Fast (10th anniversary) is better for the vast majority of games, and even on my crappy phone (1.2 GHZ dual core. Adreno 302) , many games are playable and enjoyable. Great work!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 12:00:12 PM by nakata6790 »

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 27, 2015, 12:12:09 PM »
Why do you use GLideN64 GLES 2.0 variant, it's buggy.

Glide64-Fast (10th anniversary) is better for the vast majority of games, and even on my crappy phone (1.2 GHZ dual core. Adreno 302) , many games are playable and enjoyable. Great work!

Wow, that sounds pretty old, what phone is that?

Offline nakata6790

• byte
    • View Profile

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 28, 2015, 11:37:28 AM »
At least the Android version is greater than 4.0. It seems like we are planning to drop support for less than 4.0 pretty soon.