Author Topic: N64 4 DroiD - another rip-off  (Read 15830 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: N64 4 DroiD - another rip-off
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 06:28:47 AM »
Well, I could do that according to the GPL, but I'd rather keep the project as open as possible.  It's worth it to me to make this a community effort, even if a few people copy it just to make a quick buck.  I'd also rather not get google involved, or they could just rip every emulator from the market.  Now, when I eventually do post a closed-source commercial app at some point in the future (have to come up with an idea first, haha), then I would bee furious if someone posted a copy, and would complain to google about it.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline trev186

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 09:50:52 AM »
Well, I could do that according to the GPL, but I'd rather keep the project as open as possible.  It's worth it to me to make this a community effort, even if a few people copy it just to make a quick buck.  I'd also rather not get google involved, or they could just rip every emulator from the market.  Now, when I eventually do post a closed-source commercial app at some point in the future (have to come up with an idea first, haha), then I would bee furious if someone posted a copy, and would complain to google about it.

I agree don't draw Google's wrath .

Just buy ,leave a bad review and then refund;

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »
It looks like DM N64 and N64 Player have been pulled from the Android Market.  Those were the two that violated the GPL by either posting the wrong source code (or none at all).  N64 4 Droid is still up, though.  I'd guess that's because Tim is abiding by the GPL... at least I hope that's the reason, and our apps aren't going to get pulled next :-[)

Offline shuy3n

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »
I Think this is why the cyanogen market cant come quick enough

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 05:59:12 PM »
I've been carefully reading the Android Market agreement to see if there is anything in there that would apply to emulators.  The only obvious clauses are things like don't violate someone else's intellectual property rights, and don't violate the terms of other licenses the product is bound by (GPL falls into this category).  That being said, there is one clause of the Android Market agreement, under section 7.2 that is a bit worrisome:

In the event that your Product is involuntarily removed because it is defective, malicious, infringes intellectual property rights of another person, defames, violates a third party's right of publicity or privacy, or does not comply with applicable law, and an end user purchased such Product within a year before the date of takedown,: (i) you must refund to Google, all amounts received, plus any associated fees (i.e. chargebacks and payment transaction fees), and (ii) Google may, at its sole discretion, withhold from your future sales the amount in subsection (i) above.

The word "defective" is my main worry, because it is not clearly defined by the agreement.  It could potentially be argued that an emulator which doesn't emulate the hardware perfectly is "defective".  The other term is "does not comply with applicable law" (in theory, future laws could potentially outlaw emulators).  In either of these cases, Google could, by the terms of the agreement, pull Mupen64Plus AE from the market and require me to refund all amounts received plus fees.  Seriously, if that were to happen, it would be financially devastating.. I think I'd better get a non-emulator commercial app or two on the market to generate some buffer revenues in the event that something like this could happen.

Offline scorpio16v

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 11:45:23 PM »
That's a point I don't understand. How can google force to pay back the money, the users have paied ?
That's my money, not Googles.

I never got my cash back for the 2 psx4droid versions and for n64oid !

Maybe we should take a lawyer then, if Goggle holds the cash back !  ;D

Is it a typical silly US law. So google have only to bann Apps to make money twice, or what ???

Offline dmapps

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 09:16:38 AM »
Hi Paul and the others,

Im the guy who made DM 64. The reason i made my version of your emulator was for 3 reasons. 1. i though it was awesome, 2. i thought i could make it look better and 3. to make a quick buck. I figured it wouldn't hurt the project and people mostly have it now anyway.

Maybe i was wrong that's an opinion. I just thought id give you the heads up though as you mentioned paul that my app was pulled because of failure to follow the GPL or whatever. Thing is it wasnt that DM 64 app that had the problem it was my other (legitimate) fantasy premier league app which i did make. (quick karma you would say right?)

That is also why the other guy is still there with his crappy version also. As he hasn't broken any google laws so to speak or they havent noticed them at least. Google take their reporting system quite seriously (user moderated market) and my app was shut down because some cretin (competitor) didnt like the fact i had a similar app for a cheaper price so he reported me for using the premier league logo and i was insta banned for copyright. They took my $25 dollars and failed to reply to my 100 emails.

So if you really wanna get this guys app taken down. Get a few people to report the fact he is using an N64 controller in logo and also Nintendo is shown on his screenshots.

Also another thing. Disclaimer notes mean jack shit in google terms so you have several cases for copyright including the use of your work (code).

One last thing. He has no intentions of improving the code AT ALL! He is purely doing as i did in "borrowing" open source apps and reproducing them under a new name. (note his new psx bios app)

So all in all im here to say sorry and i did buy your app aswell before stealing it so i contributed at least. You guys are doing a great thing here. Dont let anyone including myself screw with your project. I'm working on a new website at the moment and if you like i can stick an ad on it to feed some traffic your way if you like.

All the best

Dave

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 03:19:32 PM »
Hey, dmapps, thanks for the donation.  Personally, I do not consider it stealing if people are posting branches of the app (they have a legal right to do so under the GPL, as long as they don't claim to be the author of components they didn't write or modify themselves).  I am more concerned if they are only posting them make money and not contributing anything, or to "get back" at me for getting them pulled from the market (eg. N64 Player, which is now re-listed on the market for free after being pulled the same time DM 64 was  --EDIT-- nvm, this is just an AirPush version, to make money from adds.. probably not listed to get revenge  :D).  Assuming you aren't banned from the Android Market forever (or if you switch to a different market like SlideMe), I encourage you to continue your own branch and contribute back to the open-source community (both branches can benifit from everyone's efforts).

With regards to the copyright infringements, what are they specifically in the market listing for Mupen64Plus AE?  Just the screenshots?  I could use screenshots from homebrew ROMs instead, however I honestly think it is unlikely that google would pull the app just for the screenshots (N64 Arcade, for example, has been up for almost a year with screenshots of commercial games posted).  I will write them to ask (assuming they respond).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:29:02 PM by Paul »

Offline dmapps

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 08:59:46 AM »
No probs for the donation its a great app. I understand your points and fair play for still remaining positive about the whole situation.

As for the screenshots google doesn't do anything unless they are told. Nobody has probably gone out their way to notify them. Take for example my app that got banned recently. It was on their for 3-4 months until my competitor complained.
  Now google have banned my account and they don't ever plan to lift this ban which sucks. I've pretty much given up on my app development past time now because of google and its silly moderators. They didn't even email me to say change the image, they just took it down and banned me which i feel is ridiculous.
  I don't feel my level of expertise is anywhere near the level of yours so i doubt i can really contribute on a coding sense. Perhaps graphically (i see you have a few good designers already on here) or maybe just to chuck some ideas your way.

In short google don't wanna get sued by anyone so hate copyright. Your screens will be ok (i think) but the other guy guy who ripped has nintendo etc on his screens and the controller in his feature logo.

I made a pokedex app which displayed all the pokemon with their stats etc. Now this got banned beause of the name and the content. This lasted literally 2 mins before i got an email from google telling me so. They must employ people to watch the market for such apps. It was a simple app, as web design is my thing i just used a webview to show a mobile website i made linked to a database for the stats etc with a basic menu and browser functions. It worked well and wasted 2 weeks of my life lol.

So yeh i think your app will be fine on there but the other guys who have ripped can easily be taken down due to the nature of their imaging.

Apologies for the long post and history lesson my app dev :D

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 04:04:04 PM »
Thanks for the long post, I am definitely interested in studying this topic some more, because I have other ideas for (non-emulator) apps that I want to post, and being perma-banned would really stink.

I am holding a screenshot competition, if you'd like to contribute and get some of the money from the donations.  Especially wth the hires texture support that will be in the next update and a lot more games without graphics glitches, there's a lot of potential for creativity in this area.  If you have some graphics design experience, that could give you a leg-up in the competition too (you are free to get "artistic" as you like with the screenshots, as long as they don't misrepresent the emulator's capabilities).  If screenshots aren't your thing, I'll be holding other competitions in the future as well (probably a video competition next).

Offline dmapps

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 07:46:04 AM »
cheers Paul I've posted a screenshot and ill keep an eye out in the future for other competitions. If there's any other way i can help ill do my best to get stuck in.

Offline hortino

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 11:32:18 PM »
Hey paul, with a number of these replicas popping up and just copying your updates and such, i propose a sneaky " bait and switch" if you will. You could release a fake update that, when loading anything on the app it simply displays a message from you, i trust you could come up with something clever and amusing. Now all of us in the Paul's code community would be warned of such an update and not do it.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 02:12:01 PM »
Funny idea, but I doubt anyone would fall for it.  I'm sure these devs at least run the app once to make sure it works before they upload it to the market.  And besides, if I were to release an update without the real source code posted, there is a chance that Google would pull Mupen64Plus AE from the market for violating the GPL.

Offline Mateorod

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 03:37:50 AM »
If this is the same rip-off as the "free" w/ads version, then I came by just to say I downloaded/uninstalled so I could 1* it and then flag it as inappropriate..

And if there is a new one, paul, feel free to move this post to the appropriate thread.

Thanks for all the work. No doubt the best emulator out there, and I have tried the others.