Author Topic: Porting Yabause to Android  (Read 342800 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: Porting Yabause to Android
« Reply #225 on: July 15, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
Sorry, this project is on hold like my other current and planned open-source projects (SoundSystem, Mupen64Plus AE, Mupen64Plus WiMM One, OpenBOR, Lxdream, etc) until I have transitioned out of the Air Force into civilian life and have a stable job and income.  In the mean time, I will be focusing on getting a couple of commercial apps published on Google Play (sadly, I can not advertise those apps here on the forum because I need to remain anonymous to avoid more fake DMCA take-downs from the crazies that seem to have it out for me personally).

That said, I'll try and put out a small update or two when I have some free time, maybe in a week or so.  Since the version without the GUI seems to run faster than the one with it, I suspect audio is not the only thing causing slowdowns, so it might be worthwhile to look into that to see if there are any areas for improvement.  Also the audio itself should be possible to tweak for better performance if maybe I use lower quality or priority.

As for getting it on the Market, that might not be possible.  I expect the exact same thing that happened to Mupen64Plus AE will happen to Yabause AE if it is published.  Fingers crossed that without game screenshots maybe Google will allow it to stick around (the test I'm doing with Trev in the coming days should let us know).
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline danny19901

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 30, 2012, 02:25:10 PM »
Great Work Paul on both Mupen64 Android Edition and Yabause i have bought Mupen twice once from play store and once from slideme market to show my appreciation of your work altough im a little curious would a say Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy S3 be able to emulate either an xbox or PS2 if they could it would be awesome just thought i would ask

Offline xperia64

• Developer
  • double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2012, 03:20:42 PM »
Xbox is x86 based and as far as I know there isn't a x86->arm assembly core so eveb if one existed it would be painfully slow. Ps2 would be slightly more feasible as it is still MIPS based so the dynarec from the pandora's pcsx reARMed emulator could be usefull. However like the n64 the ps2 appears to have some coprocessors for graphics which is a major hurdle

Offline Zromo

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 06, 2012, 10:18:52 PM »
Sorry, this project is on hold like my other current and planned open-source projects (SoundSystem, Mupen64Plus AE, Mupen64Plus WiMM One, OpenBOR, Lxdream, etc)...

Wowowowo WHAT!? OpenBOR!? FINALLY someone plans to actually make a port for android! We could definetly use one! (Psst... how about a multi-mod version for DC ;)?)

Offline trev186

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 22, 2012, 11:38:22 PM »
Hey guys

Explusalpha aka Robert Brogila Released his version of yabause for Android. Similiar results to Paul's. Ui has more options and I think he fixed some gfx and compatibility issues somewhat

www.explusalpha.com/home/saturn-emu

Offline amdradeon

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 23, 2012, 02:17:06 AM »
I was very excited to try Saturn.Emu. I love having save states and the filters are cool(scanline/CRT).

Speed seemed actually slower with NiGHTS, then I put frameskip from auto to 0 and its runs about twice as fast as Pauls And input lag is reduced so its much more playable if you want to try, still very slow though id compare it almost exactly to devimax video on the yabause forms when he first got the dynarec engaged if not better.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:18:51 AM by amdradeon »

Offline trev186

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 23, 2012, 08:36:37 AM »
I was very excited to try Saturn.Emu. I love having save states and the filters are cool(scanline/CRT).

Speed seemed actually slower with NiGHTS, then I put frameskip from auto to 0 and its runs about twice as fast as Pauls And input lag is reduced so its much more playable if you want to try, still very slow though id compare it almost exactly to devimax video on the yabause forms when he first got the dynarec engaged if not better.

Thanks for tip on frame skip.

Turning the frameski to 0 makes saturn.emu about as fast as yabause ae is currently without sound.

Glad to have two great devs working on a great emu.

Offline darklight

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »
why oh why did you feel the need to port Yabause its horrible and hardly stable much for some games

now ssf would be a better pick since alot of game titles do run with little to no problem at all much like project36 for the nintendo 64 emulator now that is not perfect but its more stable and plays more game titles then others

have you ever gave any thoughts as to maybe working on a 3do emulator for the android now that would really be impressive not saying a sega saturn wouldnt be love that system my self

Offline trev186

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
why oh why did you feel the need to port Yabause its horrible and hardly stable much for some games

now ssf would be a better pick since alot of game titles do run with little to no problem at all much like project36 for the nintendo 64 emulator now that is not perfect but its more stable and plays more game titles then others

have you ever gave any thoughts as to maybe working on a 3do emulator for the android now that would really be impressive not saying a sega saturn wouldnt be love that system my self

So ill start with ur comment on project 64 vs mupen...

Project 64 is closed source and the authors are quite adamant about not porting it or opening the source. This is why the best alternative is mupen 64

Ssf is similiar situation as project 64. While SSF does run better than Yabause on a PC it has a very dated UI and is harder to setup. The Yabause team even got the ball rolling on Android by starting the port themselves . SSF has had a lot less recent dev activity and since saturn is such a complex system to emulate the android devs are going to need help from the sources author l...im all for an SSF port but i have nothing against a yabause port. If u read this thread at all u would know most this work has been done by the yabause team. Paul and explusalpha did not start from scratch here....

I have asked a few 3do emulator devs about a port to Android and most of them do not see the value in it sadly....though a large portion of 3do games are playable on other currently emulated systems on android like the ps1 and sega cd

Its never bad to have an emulator port the more the better so lets not start bashing the yabause or mupen dev teams

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2012, 02:09:40 PM »
From my perspective, I need to have a working dynarec before I can consider porting an emulator to Android.  The reason for this is because I suck at assembly language (and I am in awe of the people who are able to work with it).  Truth is, if Ari64 hadn't written dynarecs for Mupen64Plus and for Yabause, I wouldn't have started either of these projects.

Offline V6ser

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 04, 2012, 01:07:11 PM »
Then you need a dyanarec porter and all will be solved hm?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #236 on: September 04, 2012, 06:17:42 PM »
In theory, yes.  But why start another N64 emulator project rather than working on the current one?

Offline V6ser

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 07, 2012, 02:52:54 PM »
That'd be a pretty bad solution.

You already have all the stuff working awesomely great on Mupen64 ae.

Btw porting yabause still is a big problem without the right person to work on.

Offline kingcolex

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 07, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »
I ran some dragonballz on my transformer prime, i got to loading screen and then it went black.

Offline supream222

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 24, 2012, 12:09:44 PM »
Any new news on your progress with yabause paul?