Author Topic: Please support the project!  (Read 39242 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: Please support the project!
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 02:12:32 PM »
It's gone now  ;D  Just goes to show there's strength in numbers.  Thanks again, everyone.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline e2zippo

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2012, 07:09:53 AM »
Hey Paul!

I just joined the forum and read through this thread, to bad I wasn't able to be a part of the 1 star bashing, that sounded fun!

Looking forward to hang here since I love N64, just downloaded you emulator, gonna try it out.

Will donate if I like it  ;)

Cheers!

Offline Dream_Works

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2012, 10:48:15 PM »
How can we get the latest version >>> The application is not available in the market !!

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2012, 12:44:55 AM »
The latest versions are available for download on the thread linked to in the News line at the top of the page.

Offline Tom.K

• Green Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2012, 03:33:29 AM »
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.n64.emulator.pro1

It's going to happen again and yours still isn't on market...

And I don't remember that it contained a permission to directly call numbers before...

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2012, 08:43:31 AM »
That's bobthebanana's branch ("N64 Pro Emulator", "N64 Super Emulator", etc), which was also named in Mr Geng's false takedown notice along with Mupen64Plus AE.  I'm guessing Mr. Banana decided to list it as a new app since Google is taking forever to review the case.  I'd like to point out that Mr. Banana's branch is fully compliant with the GPL.  His app always had wide bloated permissions for app metrics, and appears to just be for directed ads (i.e. spyware).  I originally suspected it of being a virus due to the suspicious behavior, but it doesn't seem to be dangerous looking at the source code.. just very ad-intensive (disclaimer: I didn't write any of the ad stuff, so I can't guaratee it is safe or that a future update won't use some of those bloated permissions for other purposes.. just that I don't suspect it is intended to be malicious at the moment.)

Offline OurFriendIrony

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2012, 04:35:58 AM »
Still seems wrong...
Device: Samsung Galaxy S2
CPU: Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9
GPU: Mali-400MPH
RAM: 1GB
Resolution: 480 x 800
Rom: v4.03 ICS (stock) (rooted)

Offline shuy3n

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2012, 10:33:35 AM »
i suppose it is wrong in a moral sense but then gpls don't cover other peoples morals

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2012, 03:08:53 PM »
Brad is back, this time trying to hide under another alias.  Here is his new listing on the Google Play Store:

N64droid

The developer is listed as "Ash Apps", which sounds innocent enough.  However, if you go to the sourceforge page linked in the description, here, you will see that the owner is someone named "shikitou2012".

Now, if you recall from the Brad's takedown notice, his actual name is Huaining Geng.  He has a page on oDesk here.  Notice he is "Associated with shikito".

Now, shikitou is also on twitpic, here. Notice the name at the top?  Yep, brad.geng.

Another nice picture of him here.

That seems like quite the coincidence, now doesn't it?  Two guys nicknamed shikitou who just happened to both made branches of my app?  What are the odds of that?  Occam's razor says Brad is back to take advantage of the fact that Google is taking their sweet time to review my DMCA counter claim!

Is there any chance we can band together again to slam the ratings on this app?  I expect Brad thinks his ratings won't get slammed this time since he is charging for the app.  But you can just purchase it long enough to post a rating comment, then get a refund.  If you aren't brave enough to try that, at least "flag" the app (which you can do from your phone without purchasing), and choose "Other objection", and enter your objection in there (that this is Brad Geng just back under a new alias).

I suggest using something like this in your objection comments:

The source repository linked in the app description is owned by "shikitou2012".  This alias is also used by a man called Brad Geng (see http://twitpic.com/4co3pm).  Brad recently filed an illegal DMCA complaint against the app "Mupen64Plus, AE", which this is a copy of.  I do not believe he should be allowed to profit from this app while Mupen64Plus is suspended pending review of the DMCA counter claim.  Please remove this app at least until the counter claim has been reviewed.

Additionally, ASH APPS is in direct violation of the GPL, by not releasing the full source code.  The repository linked in the app description only contains the native components, and none of the "Android" source code.  If you'd rather flag the app for that instead of the fact that this is very likely Brad Geng, an objection like this could be sent instead:

This app is in direct violation of the second paragraph of the GNU GPL v2.  The source code repository linked to in the app description only contains the native c sources, and is missing all of the Java sources, layouts, resource files, and the Android SDK project.  By violating the license that the source code is copyrighted under, this in turn, violates section 5.5 of the Android Market Developer Distribution Agreement.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:23:56 PM by Paul »

Offline xperia64

• double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »
Yes he's on twitpic but don't also forget his regular twitter ;)
https://twitter.com/#!/shikitou

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 06:11:16 PM »
True, I just thought the mug shot would have more impact  ;D

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2012, 07:03:18 AM »
I got a response back from my request for the full source code for N64droid and the PSX emulators that Ash Apps has posted.  Firstly, the email confirms that Ash Apps is Brad Geng (or potentially someone pretending to be him, but I doubt it).  The contents of the name field of the email meta-data is "brad geng <info.n64droid@gmail.com>".  Secondly, it also confirms that he doesn't understand the GPL.  Here is his response:

Hi,

Is that you send me bad comment? I don't know why you do this. According to GPLv2, I can only publish the part of dynamic library. I don't need to publish the java part since I don't use other people' work. Please read the GPL v2 carefully before you do anything malicious to others.

Really? Before I do anything malicious??  What about that DMCA take-down notice you filed against me, Brad?

Anyway, I replied to the email as follows:

Brad,

Firstly, you are really one to talk about not doing "anything malicious to others"!  What about that illegal DMCA take-down notice you filed against me?  I suggest you read the DMCA.  You are not a legal representative of Mupen64Plus, and I have followed all the terms of the GPL in distributing my derived work Mupen64Plus, AE.  So you committed a crime by filing that notice.  I am loosing an average of $250 per day while Google takes their time reviewing my counter-claim.  Don't think I won't use the legal means available to me, as outlined in the DMCA, to recover all that lost income from you, plus all attorney fees, once my counter-claim has finished being reviewed.

Secondly, you need to read the GPL yourself.  Please see paragraph 2 of section 2:

"These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program, and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you distribute them as separate works. But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based on the Program, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote it."

An app distributed on the Market is by anyone's definition "a whole work", based on the Program (in this case, Mupen64Plus, AE).  As the text clearly states, the terms of the GPL must be applied to "each and every part regardless of who wrote it."  Please provide the FULL source code for the apps I requested, as the license requires.  If you do not, then I have grounds to file a DMCA take-down notice against N64droid, as you have violated the copyright terms that I distributed Mupen64Plus, AE under.

- Paul

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »
More emails, for anyone following this:

Brad's latest email:

Anybody has the rights to publish GPLed software as soon as he/she obeys the license. What you react on this is to maliciously comment bad reviews on competitors' work and instigate some silly people who don't even know GPL at all to think the whole copyright is yours and comment bad reviews to competitors' apps, though you know those apps are totally legal. This is really bad behavior as far as Open Source is concerned, which already violets Google's policy about maliciously manipulating comments. You can be banned for only this. Trust me, if you don't harm others, nobody will harm you. I know you want to earn from N64 since there is a market, and you don't need marketing because it has a brand effect there. But if you want to earn all the money, you should at least make your own from the scratch but not on an established work such as mupen64plus. If you choose the easy way, this is the cost you need to afford. This is the rule of the game.

If you still think what you did is right, just wait for google's response. I really don't think google staff still can't react on  your counter-notification and tell the truth within a month, except that they have distinct idea from yours.

For the source code publication, you should carefully explore the content of GPLv2. Many developers of android emulators just only released the part of dynamic library. A key point for GPL is that to use OSed software is different from to derive a work from OSed software.

I can also see other people's hate about your hiding the code and over thought of donation(i.e. money), but I can't see any action from you except some null promise. Please listen to others' advice that can help pave your way along.

And my response:

Brad,

Again, the wording of the license is very clear.  You are confusing this license with the LGPL.  Under the GPL, if you want to keep components that you developed yourself closed-source then they must be distributed separately from the work that is licensed by the GPL.  On the Google Play Store, this means distributing them as seperate APKs.  Since you are distributing all components together as a complete work, then they are subject to the terms of the GPL.  Other emulator developers have violated the license as well (most notably Yongzh and Zodttd), but that doesn't make the practice legal.  It just means they are small enough to get away with it.  I will be talking with an attorney in the near future about suing you under the provisions of the DMCA after the illegal claim you filed against my apps.  At that time I will also discuss whether or not I also have a legal stand to file a DMCA take-down notice against your app for violating the copyright terms that I distributed Mupen64Plus, AE under.

Secondly, (for the sake of argument here) even if you are right about being able to keep the parts you write yourself closed-source under the terms of the GPL, you are still in violation of the license by your own definition.  For starters, I wrote 99% of the Java components, so don't think you can fool me into not recognizing my own work.  I could name a hundred signature behaviors that I personally developed in Java, which N64droid copies (the auto state-save behavior, for example, which your app doesn't even need).  A simple dex analyzer could further confirm this fact if anyone needs convincing.  Even the resources include components of Mupen64Plus, AE, which were licensed and distributed under the GPL (the "L" and "R" button images of the virtual gamepad, for example, were drawn by artist roymustang16, and were distributed under the GPL)  Additionally, the gamepad layout and gui configuration syntaxes, which your app is using, is something I designed, and was licensed and distributed under the GPL.  I could go on, but I believe I've made my point.

Thirdly, about the Developer Distribution Agreement policy you referenced.  Google's policy does not prevent someone from stating the truth.  The fact is that you are illegally distributing this app by not following the license by which you acquired it, and are taking advantage of a legal mess that you created in order to corner the market.  If that makes other people angry enough to slam your ratings, then Google's policy does not prevent that either.  True, most of them don't understand the GPL, but there is nothing in Google's policy requiring them to.

And finally, don't accuse me of mismanaging the project or misusing the donations.  The one person who accused me of trying to hide the code never asked me for it.. he was making the point that I should be working in the original repository, so let's not take people's words out of context here.  The vast majority of donations that I made have gone back to the developers and projects that I borrowed code from, and to promote future development of those projects.  Ask most of the people in the "Credits" list, if you don't believe me.

-Paul

Offline OurFriendIrony

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2012, 04:27:23 PM »
comeuppance incoming
Device: Samsung Galaxy S2
CPU: Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9
GPU: Mali-400MPH
RAM: 1GB
Resolution: 480 x 800
Rom: v4.03 ICS (stock) (rooted)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »
Brad's latest response:

You're totally meaningless.

Which, loosely translated, means "But, but......"