Author Topic: Mupen64Plus AE Missing from Play Store Marketplace?  (Read 19047 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: Mupen64Plus AE Missing from Play Store Marketplace?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Currently, the apps are still in "Suspended" mode, so they haven't been completely deleted yet.  I'm hopefull that Google will see reason in this case and unsuspend them.  I suppose I should prepare for the possibility than Google decides to remove them.  Obviously the free version could just be re-listed with a new package name, like Bob did.  I'm not sure about the donation version though, because it would mean folks who already donated would have to pay again, which isn't right.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline jack111

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »
Just a suggestion, are you able to setup a paypal account in a re-listed application and have people donate directly from the app in case Google decide its too much work to click the unsuspend button which would mean that people can still donate but use the application for free if they did not want to pay.

Offline jack111

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 09:36:12 PM »
OK maybe not

Offline shuy3n

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 02:23:46 AM »
another way could be listing a donation token , I know a few apps back in the day used to do this where they'd list just a simple token on the market for $.99 with a link in the app to it then that link would disappear once it had been bought

Offline Tom.K

• Green Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 09:15:24 AM »
How about in-app donation?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »
An in-app one-time $.99 donation option would be my preference, but it enters an grey area of Google's developer agreement (which requires feature purchase to be made through the Play Store.. donating to remove a "nag" option could technically be interpreted as such).  I think shuy3n's idea would be the safest route.  I'll probably do that if Google decides to delete the apps entirely instead of un-suspending them.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »
I sent Google another email today:

Good evening, Sir or Ma'am,

Two weeks ago, a false DMCA take-down notice was filed against my apps.  I have filed a counter-claim providing clear evidence that my apps are not in violation of any copyright, and that the individual who filed the take-down notice is not even a representative of the work in question.  My apps are still marked "Suspended" in the Developer Console, and are not showing up in the Play Store.  I'm just checking to see if you have received my DMCA counter claim, and if if so, can you give me an estimate on how long it will take for you to review the counter-claim and un-suspend my apps?

For reference, the package names are:

paulscode.android.mupen64plus
paulscode.android.mupen64plus.free
paulscode.android.mupen64plus.xperiaplay

- Paul

I got the following completely-irrelevant, scripted response..

Thank you for contacting us regarding your applications' visibility in Google Play. Please note that if you recently published your app or made changes in your Android Developer Console, it will not be instantly reflected on Google Play and may take several hours to update.

If your app no longer appears in Google Play after enabling Copy Protection, please note that our copy protection relies on being able to trust the build of Android that the app is installed on. Therefore, we only show copy-protected apps to known good builds of Android. If a specific port of Android is not a known good build (e.g. some ?Custom ROMs?) or the device is rooted, Google Play will not display copy-protected apps to these devices. If the users switch to an official version of Android, they'll be able to see your application again.

To avoid this issue in the future, we advise disabling copy-protection and using the Licensing Service instead. To learn more, please visit our Help Center here: http://www.google.com/support/androidmarket/developer/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=186113

Also, please remember that results are filtered in Google Play according to many user variables, and some applications might not be visible to specific users or devices. For example, if an application requires a trackball (as specified in the manifest file), then Google Play will not show the app on any device that does not have a trackball.

The manifest file and the device's hardware and features are only part of how applications are filtered ? filtering also depends on the country and carrier, the presence or absence of a SIM card, and other factors. Furthermore, priced applications are only available to users in locations we currently support buyers.

For technical details on Google Play filters and API Levels, please visit:
http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/market-filters.html
http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/api-levels.html

If you?ve verified that your application is published and filtering is not likely the problem, please reply directly to this email with any additional details regarding the problem. The IMEI number of a device demonstrating this problem will help us diagnose the issue much faster. Otherwise, please forward the device characteristics, including what Android version it?s running.

We appreciate your assistance and look forward to your reply.

Regards,
The Google Play Team

I've sent the following reply:

Sir or Ma'am,

Thank you for the scripted response, but it doesn't even come close to addressing my question.  I'm not asking why my apps aren't appearing in the Google Play Store.. I know WHY they aren't appearing.  What I'm asking is if you have received my DMCA counter claim, and if if so, can you give me an estimate on how long it will take for you to review the counter-claim and un-suspend my apps?

For reference, the package names are:

paulscode.android.mupen64plus
paulscode.android.mupen64plus.free
paulscode.android.mupen64plus.xperiaplay

- Paul

To be honest, I don't have much faith that the Google Play Team is actually a "team".  More like a bot.. and not even a good one at that.

Guess I'll be happy as long as it has a line like this in there somewhere:

Code: [Select]
if( System.currentTimeMillis() - timeOfSuspension > 1814400000 )
    unsuspendApp();
;D
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:46:47 PM by Paul »

Offline user7

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 02:27:03 AM »
Currently, the apps are still in "Suspended" mode, so they haven't been completely deleted yet.  I'm hopefull that Google will see reason in this case and unsuspend them.  I suppose I should prepare for the possibility than Google decides to remove them.  Obviously the free version could just be re-listed with a new package name, like Bob did.  I'm not sure about the donation version though, because it would mean folks who already donated would have to pay again, which isn't right.

I paid for this app. I dont mind repaying HOWEVER that would not solve the underlying issue. The jerkoff would probably post another DMCA. i assume the guy who flagged you is the same guy that made the 5$ emulator. i would REALLY like to see him get DMCA'd since he is not sharing his source code. this is a necessary process to protect open source. fight back instead of just relisting, and DMCA the true perpetrator. i know it may seem as a bit of a crusade at times, but app stores are the software distribution centers of the future so i believe this is a necessary process.