Author Topic: Need front-end testers  (Read 8684 times)

Offline TotallyApps

• bit
    • View Profile
Need front-end testers
« on: May 31, 2012, 05:40:51 PM »
    I wrote a front-end for Mupen64Plus AE, which I'm selling on Google Play, called Totally N64. One of my first raters posted it doesn't work on any of his devices.. he is listed as having posted the comment from a Galaxy S2. It could just be someone who doesn't know how to use an emulator.. ROMs in .7z format.. or expecting an NES-emulator level of compatibility.. or maybe his devices don't have an internet connection. But I am starting to doubt myself.
    Would anyone here be able to test the front-end for me? Let me know and I'll PM you a link to the APK. It is tested on Galaxy Nexus, Xperia Play, and Droid Razr, but that's not the largest sampling of devices in the world..  I really appreciate your help!

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: Need front-end testers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »
It works well on my Droid X, and my brother reports there are no problems on the Droid Incredible.

I've also tested it on my Galaxy Nexus (although you already tested on that one).  Sadly, I can't post ratings on Google Play any more, but my wife gave you a 5-star from her Droid RAZR, though, and reports that it runs very well for her (our 2-year-old can confirm this!)

I see you've used the code for the action bar hiding/ low-profile on ICS for the game activity.  Note that this code had some strange behavior on HC, which scorpio16v reported here.  This could potentially result in some low ratings on tablets running HC.

As for the front-end itself, I love the graphics, and it is much simpler to navigate than the monster I came up with  ;D  That said, it does need some more advanced settings for the video plug-ins, because the defaults just don't work for a lot of games (in particular Skip Frame in Kris' Rice port screws up a lot of games).  I like the idea of linking with N64oid plug-ins.. I am planning to do this too at some point (maybe you could share the code when you get it working ;))
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline mmxii

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 04:24:24 PM »
    I wrote a front-end for Mupen64Plus AE, which I'm selling on Google Play, called Totally N64. One of my first raters posted it doesn't work on any of his devices.. he is listed as having posted the comment from a Galaxy S2. It could just be someone who doesn't know how to use an emulator.. ROMs in .7z format.. or expecting an NES-emulator level of compatibility.. or maybe his devices don't have an internet connection. But I am starting to doubt myself.
    Would anyone here be able to test the front-end for me? Let me know and I'll PM you a link to the APK. It is tested on Galaxy Nexus, Xperia Play, and Droid Razr, but that's not the largest sampling of devices in the world..  I really appreciate your help!
Pantech Burst and Element here. Willing to test, send me a link.
Device: Asus Nexus 7 16 GB
CPU: nVidia Tegra 3 1.6 GHz quad core
GPU: ULP GeForce 512 MHz
Screen res: 800x1200
ROM/Kernel: (AOSP) Bugless Beast Halloween Build (Android 4.1.2) / faux123 011 Ultimate Edition Max

Offline TotallyApps

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:40:08 AM »
I hope to get someone with the Galaxy S2 to test because a couple of the one stars were from that.. also the HP Touchpad. Uploaded a debug build [nofollow] for anyone who can test.. please attach logcat if there is a crash.

Offline scorpio16v

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 12:26:27 PM »
OK, I've made a first test with my new Galaxy S 3. Seemms all fine so far.
I'm missing the possibility to configure the graphic plugins and some button naming would be fine.

On Galaxy S2 the same good result.

Maybe the guys had a bad download of the mupen datas. You should make a reset ond reload option.

Your GUI isn't bad, it's fast. But if you don't want more bad ratings, you should build in all possible options of mupen64plus-ae.

If you can work out a possibility for analog input on USB-Gamepads, you are my hero.  ;)

Offline TotallyApps

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »
    Thanks that eases my mind a lot to have it confirmed working on a Galaxy S2. You have a good thought about the bad download. That code is from the SDL port and it is pretty glitchy.. used all over the place though. I see why Paul stopped using it. I have to use it in my front-end though to keep my code closed-source. I think I will have to add some robust file checking in the main activity to make sure everything downloaded ok and if not then retry the download again.
    Most of the options from Paul's front-end will have interfaces in the Advanced Settings menu.. soon as I work out the immediate problems so the ratings won't plummet.

Offline baizen

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 07:47:02 PM »
If you send me the link I'm willing to test in an Asus Transformer Prime running on ICS and in a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, not sure what version it's running with. So send me the link and I'll try it. I actually think I bought your app
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N900T
Asus Transformer Prime

Offline TotallyApps

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
Thanks for offering to test! I am keeping the test build here: debug build [nofollow]. I will update the file as I do updates so the link will stay the same. I think most of the problems that people have are from incomplete download or missing option for skip frame in GLES2 Rice. I will fix those two things next.. maybe have an update on saturday or so.

Offline Tom.K

• Green Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 02:11:15 AM »
I've tried this front-end on X10 Mini Pro, it works without any issues for now.

Offline TotallyApps

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »
A bogus DMCA claim was filed against Totally N64 by some guy named David Agarwal claiming to represent Mupen64Plus.  I'd be willing to bet this is another of Brad Geng's alias' (if that turns out to be incorrect, I'll let everyone know.. but that seems to be the most likely scenario).
To clarify to anyone who questions the legality of my app, let me explain my position.  I have abided by all copyright terms under which the code was licensed to me.  The native components, licensed under the GPL, were distributed with a clear description of where to acquire the full source code.  These components were downloaded at run-time and not packaged with the app, so the terms of the license did not apply to the rest of the app.  This content was provided for no additional charge, as allowed by the terms of Google's developer agreement.  The Java class library based on SDL was licensed under the LGPL, and was also distributed with a clear description of how to acquire the full source code, and does not violate the terms of the license.
I can provide written statements from the actual copyright holders for these components of the apps, to prove that I have the right to use the content.  Furthermore, Mr. Agarwal is not a legal representative of any of the copyright owners, so he can not legally file a DMCA claim.  In fact, he committed a crime by doing so.
I will be pursuing any legal recourse I have to try and get the app reinstated and bring this guy to justice, but judging from what happened to Mupen64Plus AE, I don't have much faith in the system.
In the mean time, the app is dead.  I developed it to make money by selling a clean, easy-to-use N64 emulator front-end.  Since I can no longer make money from the app, I will have to focus on other things moving forward.  Sorry to everyone who, like me, had high hopes for the project.  I will continue providing support until I know whether or not Google will read my counter-claim and reinstate the app, but I will not be releasing any new updates.  I will also continue working with Paul to get the auto-updater into Mupen64Plus AE, as I originally promised him in return for his giving me permission to use some of the Java code he wrote in my front-end.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 06:34:06 PM »
Wow.  I don't even know what to say, man.  If you need anything from me that I gave you permission to use the code I wrote, let me know.  We can try asking Richard42 to send a statement to Google as well saying we have permission to use the Mupen64Plus code.  Any idea where he would send a statement to though?  Can't use googleplay-developer-support@google.com, because they will just kick it back (I accidentally sent an email to them from my paulscode.com account once instead of my gmail account, and they immediately kicked it back).

Offline mmxii

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 07:22:19 PM »
What the hell is wrong with Google? I knew they were unscrupulous money mongers but having an automated system to check and file complaints is...inexcusable. Honestly, if Chinese people aren't affected by our laws, they shouldn't even have the ability to use our laws and be allowed to file a complaint by using our laws.
Device: Asus Nexus 7 16 GB
CPU: nVidia Tegra 3 1.6 GHz quad core
GPU: ULP GeForce 512 MHz
Screen res: 800x1200
ROM/Kernel: (AOSP) Bugless Beast Halloween Build (Android 4.1.2) / faux123 011 Ultimate Edition Max

Offline TotallyApps

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »
Thanks, Paul.  I'll find out where to send stuff to google.  I am positive this guy is Brad Geng, because the DMCA claim includes a line that says "geolocation: CN", which is China.  David Agarwal is just a made-up name.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 07:01:11 AM »
Tracking Brad's aliases is becoming a bit of an obsession to me, so I did a little research to see if I could find any connections between Brad and the name "David Agarwal" (other than the fact that they are both from China).  So far, I haven't had any luck.  The most notable individuals with this name are:

1) A Ph.D. candidate at the University of Michigan Dept. of Economics (interested in making the tax code even more complicated than it already is).
2) A MD professor of Clinical Radiology at the University of Hawaii IU Simon Cancer Center.
3) A character played by Ahsan Khan in the film Parsa.
4) The owner of AFLAC in Greensburg, PA

Obviously, none of these have any connection to Brad or to China.  I'll do a little more in-depth looking into social networks and the email address itself to see if I can turn up anything interesting.

Offline TotallyApps

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 07:27:04 AM »
I don't think you will have any luck.. he probably just made up the name and email account for sending the claim. The address is david.agarwall@gmail.com [nofollow].. he has not responded to my emails and frankly I don't expect him to.. he got what he wanted already.