Author Topic: where would i find plugins?  (Read 4408 times)

Offline benubis

• bit
    • View Profile
where would i find plugins?
« on: August 03, 2012, 04:35:05 AM »
I just dl'd the emu and of course oot, for my evo design (evo 3d minus 3d plus ics) and have the generic choppy audio problem. Just looking for a place I can dl all the compatible plugins to my shiny new 8 gig sd and play with them. Thanks

Offline benubis

• bit
    • View Profile
Re: where would i find plugins?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 04:40:03 AM »
Also, I've done extensive googling and forum lurking and turned up nothing. Not using precious latest thread page for the sake of laziness

--EDIT by Paul-- removed empty "flash" tag that created a white box in the post.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 07:23:41 AM by Paul »

Offline Evil King Stan

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 08:29:04 AM »
Any video plugin compiled for Linux (ending in .so) can be imported in. I've imported Glide64 as well as some others to try testing it with different games at one point. That being said, they run terribly. You can't have any of the boxes in the configuration menu checked or the emulator will crash. Also, based on the handful that I've tested, they all run about full speed with almost no sound popping, but there is a heavy amount of frame skipping. Also most 2d images (fences in Mario64, or when Link collects an item i.e. a deku seed and it floats above his head for a second) have a box around them. Every plugin i tried ran exactly the same with the same glitches and performance. This is most likely due to the fact that they are not compiled as Open GLES, and because of this are not optimized for mobile platforms. Currently the only two video plugins that are Open GLES are the two already included with the emulator, so it is in your best interest to use those. I hope I was able to explain this thoroughly.

Offline Evil King Stan

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 08:35:28 AM »
Also if I'm incorrect in any of the above statements, someone please fix it.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »
Also if I'm incorrect in any of the above statements, someone please fix it.

Actually, normal Mupen64Plus .so plug-ins will fail to load, because they are typically build for x86 or x86_64, and Mupen64Plus AE is build for ARMv5 and ARMv7a.  When a plug-in does not connect properly, the emulator will spit out an error message to logcat and find an alternate plug-in to use (which defaults to gles2n64 I think, for the video plug-in).  I probably should show a Toast message as well to let the user know that connecting to the plug-in was unsuccessful.

To answer your question, benubis, currently the only available plug-ins for Mupen64Plus AE are the ones that ship with the app.  Hopefully at some point in the future as more devs get interested in the project (probably after I fix some of the lag issues), there will be more plug-ins created (maybe even some customized for specific devices).  I'd really like to get Jabo interested in the project at some point, because he has done some amazing work for Project64.  I also intend to make the app linkable with N64oid video plug-ins at some point as well.  This is currently not possible because Yongzh uses a different "API" than I used for Mupen64Plus AE (JNI linkage and hidden native components to be more exact).
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline Evil King Stan

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 09:31:54 PM »
Really? I wasn't aware this as they load perfectly fine on my phone. (Minus all the graphics glitches I mentioned of course.) I apologize for the misinformation. Perhaps I'm not using the files that I thought I was.

Offline Evil King Stan

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 09:47:46 PM »
I just remembered that I'm also using Chainfire 3D. So would that have any affect on how the plugins worked with your emulator? I tend to switch between Qualcomm and Nvidia plugins for CF3D.

Offline Tom.K

• Green Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 04:40:57 AM »
Using Chainfire3D may cause performance changes (gain or loss, mostly) in some cases, so it may affect how plugins work, too. It should work better if you disable Chainfire3D tweaks.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »
Really? I wasn't aware this as they load perfectly fine on my phone. (Minus all the graphics glitches I mentioned of course.) I apologize for the misinformation. Perhaps I'm not using the files that I thought I was.

Do worries, this behavior has tricked me too on more than one occasion when I was porting Kris' video plug-in.  This is something Richard42 added to the original Mupen64Plus, and I have left it there for the sake of being true to the original project (although I personally would not have written it this way).  I think the idea was "user-friendliness", so if the end-user did something stupid with the plug-ins, the emulator would still run rather than stop working.  This is kind of the approach that Microsoft takes with their Windows OS's (which I don't like either, haha)
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted