Author Topic: NullDCe apk  (Read 124254 times)

Offline mmxii

• int
    • View Profile
Re: NullDCe apk
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
NullDC doesn't run like it used to, not speed wise anyway. First time I seen it was on SGS running Shenmue. My devices all run it over double that speed
Device: Asus Nexus 7 16 GB
CPU: nVidia Tegra 3 1.6 GHz quad core
GPU: ULP GeForce 512 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Screen res: 800x1200
ROM/Kernel: (AOSP) Bugless Beast Halloween Build (Android 4.1.2) / faux123 011 Ultimate Edition Max

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »
Trev, that's more or less the process I've used in the past to decompile APKs to make custom changes for my phone.  Note that you only end up with the Java code, XML, and resources (so in this case the front-end, layouts, images, etc).  You do not get the native code, which is the whole emulator really (so I can't get the dynarec, which is the one piece I'd need to start a DC emulator project myself).  The native binaries can be repackaged into the modified APK (this is what the publishers of N64oid ripoffs did before they had my open-source project to branch).  But it prevents any modifications to those binaries, so the emulator would be stuck where its at now as far as base compatibility.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 03:21:30 PM by Paul »
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline jaikben

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 04:16:58 AM »
Not working on HTC one x somebody knows why?  As soon as I press start I get the message unfortaintly nulldc stopped working
Just looked at logcat getting a gl2.iniview error does this means tegra uses a different way of opengl window
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:17:00 AM by jaikben »

Offline PsyMan

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »
Not working on HTC one x somebody knows why?  As soon as I press start I get the message unfortaintly nulldc stopped working
Just looked at logcat getting a gl2.iniview error does this means tegra uses a different way of opengl window

It more or less means that the alpha has pos quality and it's a miracle that it works on more than a couple devices.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »
It more or less means that the alpha has pos quality and it's a miracle that it works on more than a couple devices.

Hey, PsyMan!  It is an honor to have you registered on my forum.  I hope this particular thread doesn't give you a bad first impression of the community here.  We're not about hacking apps or distributing copyright content (I think people are just gnawing at the bit for an Android DC emulator, so stuff like this can get blown a little out of proportion).

I mentioned this elsewhere, but when I start my Android DC emulator will likely be based on LXDream, not NullDCe (unless drk happens to open the source for his app before then).  I think long term, this will have little effect on either project to be honest.

Offline PsyMan

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 02:49:17 PM »
Hey, PsyMan!  It is an honor to have you registered on my forum.  I hope this particular thread doesn't give you a bad first impression of the community here.  We're not about hacking apps or distributing copyright content (I think people are just gnawing at the bit for an Android DC emulator, so stuff like this can get blown a little out of proportion).

I mentioned this elsewhere, but when I start my Android DC emulator will likely be based on LXDream, not NullDCe (unless drk happens to open the source for his app before then).  I think long term, this will have little effect on either project to be honest.

Yeah, saw the fuss here and went like "what the heck, lemme just hop in", so here I am.

Regarding the leak, whatever happened happened already. It's not like we can do anything (apart from suing the one who leaked the thing... ok, we're not that mean actually :p). Sharing the thing around isn't a problem since it's out already, just remember that this sort of crappiness is not what we had in mind when it comes to releasing the thing (it has no similarities to current builds internally, apart maybe from the ui code).

The thing with nulldc is that almost no one touched the code to fix it since it went open. Opening a project just to have some people port it here and there is unacceptable for me. Ports can be coded in just a few days from someone familiar with the code (if the code itself is portable, unlike the current mainline). There's no meaning in opening a project if you're the one actually doing all the critical work on it.

Good luck with your DC emulator, but lemme warn you, if you're planning to port LXDream on its current state be ready to do some serious optimizations and rewrites to various of its parts if you want to compete with "similar software". Drk isn't kidding when it comes to efficient code.  :P
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:52:13 PM by PsyMan »

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2012, 03:19:48 PM »
Good luck with your DC emulator, but lemme warn you, if you're planning to port LXDream on its current state be ready to do some serious optimizations and rewrites to various of its parts if you want to compete with "similar software". Drk isn't kidding when it comes to efficient code.  :P

Haha, thanks I figured as much.  I actually prefer the way the NullDC source is arranged and would start with the main repository if I were more versed in ARM assembly to be able to port the x86 bits (obviously that code base isn't as optimized as NullDCe anyway).  My perspective is if I can get a few devs excited about the project, I have no doubt that the optimizations will happen eventually (obviously I'll be working on the code myself as well).  I have similar work moving forward with my other emulator ports to Android.  Optimization on mobile devices is definitely a huge thing, and something I look forward to gaining experience in through these projects.

Offline jaikben

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2012, 03:26:31 PM »

Great to see someone from the "official" team. Is there any eta for a real public beta? And can people apply to be a tester?

Offline PsyMan

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »
Great to see someone from the "official" team. Is there any eta for a real public beta? And can people apply to be a tester?

No public beta after the leak fiasco. Tests will be handled internally. Nothing will change that so here's a message to all who want to ask: Please don't ask related questions again (it's not gonna change anything even if you do).

Regarding the release, it's done when it's done. If it's not out it means that it's not ready to get out yet. I know that it is annoying to be treated with the same reply over and over again but I can't answer to questions I don't know myself.
Under no circumstances shall we release something below our expectations again. It happened in the past and it backfired. Better to keep some people unsatisfied for a while than all people unsatisfied in the end.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »
I am also one who likes to take pride in my work, so I can understand holding onto the app until it is perfect.  I had similar situation with my SoundSystem library, where there was a huge gap of time before I released the first build that had the standardized plug-in interface.  People were hounding me constantly for an update, but I just didn't feel it was ready until it was ready.  Ultimately it was worth the wait, and I got overwhelmingly positive feedback from the devs who were using the library.  It is still an accomplishment I take a great deal of pride in.

Mupen64Plus AE has really been my first experience with releasing source code and binaries virtually real-time right out of the gate.  One thing I have learned from that, however, is that there are a LOT of people who are willing to donate to projects they believe in, and Google Play is a potential gold mine for innovators.  Mupen64Plus AE earned over $30,000 in donations over the four months I had the donation version published on Google Play (before that Chinese idiot showed up and had the app booted off).  The emulator was (and still is) far from perfect, but people are intelligent enough to see potential.  That money was a major driving force into creating a large community of supporters, getting other devs involved, and contributing back to the various projects and developers on which the app was based.  It's something drk really should be aware of if he isn't.  Many, many people are eager and willing to help out, even if they don't have any skills and can only contribute financially.  And that in turn can be a huge motivator to drive development forward and generate excitement about a project.

Offline PsyMan

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »
I am also one who likes to take pride in my work, so I can understand holding onto the app until it is perfect.  I had similar situation with my SoundSystem library, where there was a huge gap of time before I released the first build that had the standardized plug-in interface.  People were hounding me constantly for an update, but I just didn't feel it was ready until it was ready.  Ultimately it was worth the wait, and I got overwhelmingly positive feedback from the devs who were using the library.  It is still an accomplishment I take a great deal of pride in.

Mupen64Plus AE has really been my first experience with releasing source code and binaries virtually real-time right out of the gate.  One thing I have learned from that, however, is that there are a LOT of people who are willing to donate to projects they believe in, and Google Play is a potential gold mine for innovators.  Mupen64Plus AE earned over $30,000 in donations over the four months I had the donation version published on Google Play (before that Chinese idiot showed up and had the app booted off).  The emulator was (and still is) far from perfect, but people are intelligent enough to see potential.  That money was a major driving force into creating a large community of supporters, getting other devs involved, and contributing back to the various projects and developers on which the app was based.  It's something drk really should be aware of if he isn't.  Many, many people are eager and willing to help out, even if they don't have any skills and can only contribute financially.  And that in turn can be a huge motivator to drive development forward and generate excitement about a project.

Yeah projects of this kind tend to draw people's attention. Getting support is a good thing and we are aware of the possibilities, good and bad ones. Some will support, others will pirate and others will blatantly steal your work and present it like their own. It happens, all you can do is to move on and hope for the best.

Anyway, just to make the difference between the crappy pre-alpha and the more recent builds more clear here's a teaser video, just to have people know of what to expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzzTFLv8zv8

Offline trev186

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »
Very happy to hear you guys are still working on this !

I could wait another 2 years no sweat knowing progress is being made !

Offline OnijJoku

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2012, 01:50:52 PM »
PsyMan thanks for the video, I thought from all the research and negativity, that the project was never gonna happen... Now that I see this I feel foolish to believe all the Youtubers rumors that Drk just sends "smoke". I realize now that they were impatience and ridiculous! I am very happy to see that I wasn't wrong, and now I have some payback to give (lol). Thanks and like Trev, I can happily wait knowing for sure this will happen.
Device: T-Mobile MyTouch 4G
Resolution: 480 x 800
Chipset: Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon
CPU: 1 GHz Scorpion
GPU: Adreno 205 245 MHz
RAM: 768 MB RAM

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Resolution: 1080 x 1920
Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
CPU: Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400
GPU: Adreno 330
RAM: 3 GB RAM

Offline Sabi96

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2012, 01:58:35 PM »
I am kinda relived that the project is still on. The speed won't bother me, so all I need to know if it will be able to run on HVGA phones. Do you know anything?

I'm not asking for a release, or a release date, it comes out when it comes out, you can't blame me for finding the alpha build, I only saw it on youtube, I didn't do anything wrong.

and the video is awesome progress from the last video, plz keep the emulator development going and keep up the good work :)

Offline archangeles

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2012, 08:03:22 PM »
i'll admit, playing power stone on my Xperia play has got me pumped (with gamekeyboard of course) , i bust it out on the bus ride to work at the end of the day and at my lunch break, and at home trusty sixaxsis on the old SGS3 to play it faster and on a bigger screen must say...epic..., I also ran MVC2 and it runs slow, but it runs!!! can't wait for the official release, with the blessing of the original team!!! wooo!!!