Author Topic: PS2 emulation on android  (Read 35362 times)

Offline mihai

• byte
    • View Profile
PS2 emulation on android
« on: September 03, 2012, 05:44:10 PM »
This is everything i found about ps2 emulator for android:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1220800

This is an old thread about something that is like source code for this emulator, but nobody knows if its real. I remember i posted this on pcsx2 forums, and somebody said it was fake. Also, some guy on youtube recently said he tried to get the apk, but he broke his phone lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hDzw0kW75k&feature=plcp

So maybe someone can take a quick look on the first link and tell if its something real? Thanks

Offline xperia64

• Developer
  • float
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
Re: PS2 emulation on android
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »
The Android.mk file that is in there is simply the one included by default in SDL 1.3. It will simply compile SDL, not the emulator itself.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 06:08:50 PM »
I did a little poking around the rest of the source code too, to see if they were in the process of porting to Android or something, and just never finished.  As far as I can tell, there is only x86 assembly in there, no ARM assembly.  This would be one of the main necessary first steps to an Android port, so even though it looks like they were planning to port it to Android, they didn't get very far from what I can tell.  I'll look at it a little more closely though at some point, when I have more free time.

Note: it may be buildable without the x86 dynarec if the project has some sort of an interpreted core like Mupen64Plus, but that would be nowhere close to playable, likely well below 1 FPS.  I also didn't see if any of the OpenGL stuff was ported to GLES either.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 06:13:41 PM by Paul »
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: 3.0.31-g396c4df (Android 4.2 Jelly Bean)

Device: Motorola Droid X
CPU: TI OMAP3630-1000, 1 GHz (single core, ARM Cortex-A8)
GPU: PowerVR SGX530, 200 MHz
RAM: 512 MB
Resolution: 480 x 854
Rom: Verizon 4.5.573.MB810 Gingerbread 2.3.34, rooted

Offline mrjaredbeta

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 11:52:15 PM »
I made this topic on the PCSX2 forums a while ago to see what the devs said about the possibility of PCSX2 on Android: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-on-Android

The highlights were: The devs don't really want to make the port but gave information on it. It is much easier to port to the X86 like you said, ARM would take a lot more work and be a lot more hard.  In order for it to work, you would need to port GSdx software to OpenGL ES 2.0 and other stuff that I can't remember (don't feel like scrolling through the pages).

We also found this: http://code.google.com/p/jps2/

Maybe you know it, maybe you don't. But it looks like development has been stopped on it.

This is what rama said about PCSX2 on Android x86: PCSX2 has a good chance of just working on that, yea.
It'd need some GUI work for the Android layer but the hardware and the Linux Kernel should be up to the task.
Expect simple 2D games to be possible with this.

Also, maybe zedr0n could help with some info? I tried contacting him but I couldn't get a hold of him. He mad the pcsx2mac port, also on x86.

Offline amdradeon

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:29:13 AM »
That would be awesome, even just for android x86 since Intel are rumered to be coming to android phones.

Since  there havent been a post recently about this im going to mention psp is being steady ported to android with PPSSPP(playstation portable simulator suitable for playing portably) its author is the developer from dolphin gamecube emu which has taken leaps and bounds. Every night there are updates to the source, I check its progress every morning on www.emucr.com

Psp has some real solid games similar to what the ps2 offers, Ps2 would be excellent though for it exclusives on a portable device of your choice

Offline Vincentmrl

• Cyan Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »
ppsspp has an official page, http://www.ppsspp.org
Device: Lg Optimus One
CPU: 600 Mhz ARMv6 (Overclocked to 748Mhz ondemand governor)
GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 200
RAM: 512 MB
Resolution: 320 x 480
Rom: Unofficial Cyanogenmod 9

Offline trev186

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 03:11:30 PM »
In the meanwhile u can get Kainy and set it up for pcsx2 like.I did.

I beat FFX on my SGS3 this way and it was amazing

Offline mrjaredbeta

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 01:02:27 AM »
I would play it on Kainy except my computer sucks and can't really run it that good.

Also, Intel SoCs are already available, such as the DROID RAZR i. Intel also has released a x86 emulator for their chips to go along the ARM chips in the Android SDK so testing the app will not be a problem.

Why is this not in progress? It is because of the lack of developers who care. I sort of found one developer who found my page on the PCSX2 forums and contacted my about it, I said go ahead (since I have no programming knowledge).

Whoever wants to help can contact me if they would like, I will direct you to the other developer's email and you can work something out.