Author Topic: Google Play Account FIXED!!  (Read 14037 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: Google Play Account FIXED!!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 10:13:55 AM »
does this mean that you will start updating mupen once you've fix the remaining problem on your account?

Well, I and other devs like lioncash and others have continued to update it all along (check out the massive amount of activity that has been happening on github since the 1.9.2 update, and threads here on the forum about some of these like native USB joystick support, the Majora's Mask fix, menu system changes, core updates, and new devices in the profiler). The reason I haven't put out 1.10 is because for a few months after 1.9.2 I was focusing on my commercial app during what little free time I had between out processing the Air Force.  Now I have the time, but my main development PC is in storage until we buy a house, so it is difficult to fix bigger problems from my netbook, like the broken save-state function, which is necessary before publishing an official update.  But progress is being made and will continue, rest assured!
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
Google responded with an automated email, that they are NOT going to reinstate my Google Checkout Merchant account.  They said they won't provide any further details "for security reasons".

I'm unclear on the logic behind this (it has to be faulty computer logic that some amateur programmer wrote).  The account was disabled along with my developer accounts because of the DMCA claims.  Google has acknowledged these claims were bogus and they have reinstated my developer account and all my apps.  What logical reason is there for not reinstating the checkout merchant account?

Anyway, like I mentioned in an earlier post, I figured out a way around this problem by moving the apps from one gmail address I own to another (in this case, I'll just move them from "paulscode" to "paulscode2").  Then I'll create a new checkout merchant account for paulscode2 and I'll be back in business.  It's annoying to have to work around an obvious logic error like this, but I don't see anything in Google's terms of service that says I can't do it, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Offline anthony001

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 09:46:31 AM »
sorry for pestering you like this lol but can you upload the next version beta 1.10 here in your own forum? I would like to have a taste of the awesomeness haha. hope the graphic glitch on LoZ OoT is solved hehe

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 09:51:20 AM »
I'll have the release candidate for 1.9.3 up later today or tomorrow.  1.10 is not currently at a point where you can play games.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 12:47:06 PM »
I'm not sure whether to re-publish the original app that was taken down first, or re-publish the second one with the renamed package-name that was taken down second.
Also, what are everyone's thoughts on the free version?
I'm wondering if it might be best to simply have a free version only, and put the ability to donate inside the app.  This could either be a link to a paypal site, or use Android's In-App Billing.  I worry that a donate version will get you pulled down again (although I know many developers do this and they are just fine).

How deeply have we looked into the licensing stuff?  It seems to me like Epic Amazing Games is violating the terms of the GPL by running ads.  Plus it doesn't seem to release the source code.

Edit: I just checked google play and I can no longer find Epic's ripoff!  Is justice finally being served?

Edit: On another note, I just found this app, which at least posts the source code (looks like a fork of the original) and mentions GPL.  But how can they legally charge money?

Edit: And another ripoff...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:57:09 PM by littleguy »
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »
I'm wondering if it might be best to simply have a free version only, and put the ability to donate inside the app.  This could either be a link to a paypal site, or use Android's built-in pay-for-addon-content system (I forget the name of it).

Google requires any charged additional content to be processed through their service (the only exception is apps that are designed to sell content, like Netflix, for which the app is merely a front-end to an already established service).  For apps, this is typically done by publishing a paid-for activation app on Google Play that is installed on top of the free app, or by doing the "lite/ full version" scheme generally used by emulator devs.  This requirement by Google is designed to prevent developers from using Google Play to publish their apps for free, then allowing users to "activate" the app as a way of getting around paying Google's service fees.  While in-app donations may not fit into this category, it is skating on thin ice, because some folks might perceive it incorrectly and flag it (I do not trust Google to look at it the circumstances very closely if that were to happen)

It seems to me like Epic Amazing Games is violating the terms of the GPL by running ads.
I just found this app, which at least posts the source code (looks like a fork of the original) and mentions GPL.  But how can they legally charge money?

That is apparently a common misconception about GPL-licensed applications.  The GPL has absolutely no requirements in it that money can not be charged or that ad-systems can not be included.  In fact, the GPL addresses this specifically in the Preamble, which makes the GNU position on this pretty clear:

When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.

Epic Amazing Apps was not pulled because the ads were violating the GPL.  They were most likely pulled, because their ad system violated Google's terms of service which requires letting folks know if you are going to use notifications or add browser bookmarks or install apps, and provide an option for them to decline or remove these changes.

When other branches of Mupen64Plus AE (like Totally N64) were taken down because of charging or ads, it was not because those apps were ever in violation of the GPL.  It is because some idiot either thought this was a violation (or at least thought it was a good-sounding excuse) and filed illegal DMCA take-downs against them.  I don't understand the mind-set of breaking a law in order to prevent someone else from breaking a law (especially without even taking two seconds to pull up google and see that they are not!)

Anyway, I'll get off my high horse now.  I've just been dealing with this issue for so long that it tends to get me fired up when someone brings it up  ;D

Offline Rotary Heart

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »
You could add not a directly donate button, nut a button that can send them here to your forum and add a donate button here on your forum. I personally will love to donate it (I bought it when it was on play store and I could do it again) since this is by far the best emulator, and better that you take your time to answer everyone.
My CM 10 Dark Cyan Blue theme
Phone: Galaxy Nexus GSM
Kernel: Franco Milestone 5
Rom: Paranoid Android 2.1

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »
Wow, thanks for clearing it up so well.  I should have hit the search button before I posted because you've probably answered this many times already. :-[
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
At the end of the day, the whole reason for publishing the donation version was to take advantage of the fact that 90% of shoppers don't read the description to even realize they are donating in the first place, and can get the app for free.  This means more money in donations which has a greater impact.  I was able to donate a lot of money to various contributers and projects that the app is based on, and host some fun community-building events like the artwork competition.  I honestly debated even putting a free version on the play store at all, as having the free version here means more people are likely to visit the forum and increase community involvement in the project.  I ultimately decided to publish both versions, mainly to steal customers from Brad who were putting up with his advertisement BS because they thought he had the oldy free N64 emulator (again because they didn't read), but also because I realize English isn't everyone's first language.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 06:17:21 PM »
I'll have the release candidate for 1.9.3 up later today or tomorrow.  1.10 is not currently at a point where you can play games.

Ended up spending most of today in interviews and then my phone went out and I had to go in to have a new one shipped.  It'll probably be Saturday before I'm ready to start testing 1.9.3 release candidates.

Also, I just realized I don't have Trev's digital signature on my netbook (it's on my development PC which is still in storage), so I won't be able to update it on Google Play anyway.  :(

Offline Vincentmrl

• Cyan Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 10:36:01 AM »
Congrats for having won the fight (you was the winner since the beginning of this).
oh damn, seeing mupen64 images I get the old school feels when this was an alpha and you always had to move the rom in the folder and games would play perfectly, any way to find what was making it go so fast on older devices and maybe put it for armv6 in next version? I remember you said you updated whatever the thing was because some phones could crash and I remember they weren't armv6, I hope you can put these old files making emu go fast.
Device: Lg Optimus One
CPU: 600 Mhz ARMv6 (Overclocked to 748Mhz ondemand governor)
GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 200
RAM: 512 MB
Resolution: 320 x 480
Rom: Unofficial Cyanogenmod 9

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »
Which version did it start going slower?  Was version 1.0 already slower than the Alpha tests, or did it happen later?  I would like to track this down since somebody else recently said the Alpha tests were faster than the current version.

There are links to the older Beta versions HERE.  Could you try and see if any of those are faster?

Offline Vincentmrl

• Cyan Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
well the games were going nicely since last no gui version, aka alpha, after you changed the gles2n64 plugin tho it started going worse and worse. Is there a way to download the older packages, since any version downloads the last uploaded emu files?
Device: Lg Optimus One
CPU: 600 Mhz ARMv6 (Overclocked to 748Mhz ondemand governor)
GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 200
RAM: 512 MB
Resolution: 320 x 480
Rom: Unofficial Cyanogenmod 9

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 10:12:37 AM »
I'd have to look to see what changed in the data files.  Haven't tested the older Beta versions like 1.0 in a while to see if they are broken.  Basically I need to figure out if the slowdown started in one of the later Alpha versions or in one of the early Beta versions.  Note that Beta 1.0 is identical to the last Alpha version, except it had a rudimentary GUI (the game activity and plug-ins were identical), so the slowdown most likely did not occur in the transition between Alpha and Beta testing, but rather in an update before or after the Beta 1.0 update.

Offline Deadrabbtz

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 08:51:11 AM »
Sorry if posting in wrong place. Please can u try to fix donkey Kong 64. People say that it crashes after cut scene but in n64oid if u skip cut scenes in options the game works but there is a bug that makes u go through walls so game is unplayable. I was hoping to get it to at least load so I can test if the bug still exists in mupen but it doesn't even load. Thanks for all our work.