Author Topic: Latest Build! [CLOSED]  (Read 108678 times)

Offline scorpio16v

• long
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Build!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 03:54:26 AM »
Pressing Main Menu autosaves and quits the app

Same here on SGS 3.

Here is the logcat, if you need it:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17774073/latest%20build%20resume%20bug.txt

The "language" dialogue is linked to the device settings atm ?

Maybe I can make deeper tests on this and other devices in the next time, but can't promise.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »
Yes, seems like something is missing on that screen.  Should be able to set the max frames skipped when Auto is selected.  Seems to be just auto default (2 probably?) and a list of manual frame skip choices.

Might be able to fix it by making "Auto" a checkbox, and the rest radio buttons on that dialog if it's editable like that (I'll have to look at the code where it gets generated).  I'll also check to make sure selected settings make it through to the native side where it's used, to rule out any problems there.

Back home again and using a keyboard again, whew.

This might all be about me misunderstanding the original menu.  I was just trying to consolidate the checkbox and manual settings into a single list preference, thinking each entry in the list was mutually exclusive.

Come to think about it, I might have forgotten to rewire a couple preferences back into the config files.  I'll take a look right now...

Edit: Version 1.9.2 has these two preferences and help text:

[checkbox] Auto Frameskip (auto-adjusts based on speed)
[listbox] Max Frameskip (disable auto frameskip to set manually)

So I took that to mean that the max frameskip setting was ignored if auto frameskip was checked, i.e. you were either choosing 'auto' or a number... hence why I combined them into a single list preference.  If I misunderstood, just let me know.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:13:41 PM by littleguy »
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 03:19:28 PM »
I *THINK* max frameskip is used in auto frameskip to indicate the maximum number of frames to skip when emulation is lagging, and in manual frameskip it indicates the exact number of frames to skip.  It's been a while since I looked at the code, so I'll look at it again to make sure I'm not off track.  I kind of remember this confusing me at first and I came to the conclusion that max frameskip was used in both auto and manual after looking at the code.  But then, it is pretty confusing (more to it than just discarding frames), so I could have gotten a false impression anyway.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 03:30:16 PM »
I'm trying to set up PS3 controllers with the Sixaxis app. I've previously been able to do this on the older version of Mupen, but you've changed the scheme for setting buttons on this version. I like the new setup but it doesn't work!

When I open the input settings, I am greeted with a nice clean screen to turn on the gamepads I want to use. Ok, cool. So I turn one on. I hit configure, pull up the controller graphic thingy, touch a button and NOTHING HAPPENS! No matter how many times I press it, I get nothing but a quick flash of blue over the button. I see nothing that says "Press a button on gamepad" or the like, and pressing a button on the PS3 Controller doesn't do anything, either.

Also a huge annoyance I foresee: The on/off button for the gamepads should stay on or off all the time. When I leave the screen or even toggle "Volume Key Controls", they all switch back off. It would be very annoying to have to switch the controllers on every time you start the app.

Thanks for the very clear feedback.  The problem you describe with the on/off buttons is definitely not the intended behavior, glad you caught it and I'm on the spot fixing it now.

The button mapping screen is still somewhat conceptual and I apologize that a buggy version got released, I had a miscommunication with Paul about its readiness.  Just last week it had instructions in it that would probably have helped make more sense of it.  In any event, we'll probably go back to a more conventional mapping screen, like used in the last release of the app.  Thanks for the patience.

Oh, and since the instructions are missing: here's how you map (and I can understand the confusion): Press the button/joystick on your gamepad first, then touch the icon on the screen you want it to map to.  (backwards I know, don't ask why, long story).  To unmap, long-touch an icon on the screen.
OUYA, retail version

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »
I *THINK* max frameskip is used in auto frameskip to indicate the maximum number of frames to skip when emulation is lagging, and in manual frameskip it indicates the exact number of frames to skip.  It's been a while since I looked at the code, so I'll look at it again to make sure I'm not off track.  I kind of remember this confusing me at first and I came to the conclusion that max frameskip was used in both auto and manual after looking at the code.  But then, it is pretty confusing (more to it than just discarding frames), so I could have gotten a false impression anyway.
Ok, I'll look into this some more.  If it really is used both ways, then yes the new interface needs to be changed.  And if it confuses us, it will surely confuse users :P so some re-thinking of that menu would be in order.
OUYA, retail version

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »
The button mapping screen is still somewhat conceptual and I apologize that a buggy version got released, I had a miscommunication with Paul about its readiness.

Sorry about that.  I probably should have mentioned this is a snap-shot of work-in-progress, not a Release Candidate.

Offline Tom.K

• Green Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 04:20:49 PM »
Pretty much all works in here for now, though there are some annoyances...
Instead of going back to main menu, it quits back to homescreen after auto-save, with messages that emulator is not responding sometimes. Though, game itself is saved and save itself loads perfectly normal.   Already mentioned.
GLES2N64 Frameskip option won't scroll for some reason, not able to choose specific amount.

Super Mario 64 seems to go better than before, same for Re-Volt 64 (about 8 FPS, it's almost playable with very difficult analog control)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:24:38 PM by Tom.K »

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 04:22:21 PM »
Pressing Main Menu autosaves and quits the app

Thanks, this is a known issue, so no need to do extensive testing.

Paul - might be a good idea to update the first post with an ongoing list of bugs, so people don't waste too much time on known bugs.

The "language" dialogue is linked to the device settings atm ?
That is correct.  It's just a shortcut to the OS language settings as a convenience to the user.
OUYA, retail version

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 04:28:16 PM »
Sorry about that.  I probably should have mentioned this is a snap-shot of work-in-progress, not a Release Candidate.
Yeah so I would also suggest updating the first post to that effect.  I would hate to turn off all our loyal testers with so many bugs :-[ (many of which we are already working on).
OUYA, retail version

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 04:36:40 PM »
Also a huge annoyance I foresee: The on/off button for the gamepads should stay on or off all the time. When I leave the screen or even toggle "Volume Key Controls", they all switch back off. It would be very annoying to have to switch the controllers on every time you start the app.
Strange, I can't seem to replicate this problem... looking into it more...
OUYA, retail version

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 04:48:43 PM »
OP updated with reported bug list, and disclaimer.

Offline arrtoodeetoo

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »
Thanks for the quick feedback.

I think the keypad setup screen is totally fine, it just needs to make more sense. First off, reversing your input button select so that you press a key on the screen first, along with a "press a key on gamepad" toast notification, and a confirmation that it is set once the button is pressed, would help. Second, you should be notified if a key is already assigned to a button so that you don't have two controllers accidentally using the same button.

Also, could someone tell me where the "reset" function is for the actual emulator? I can't seem to find it and the game autosaves and I can't get back to the intro screen once I exit the emulator and re-open it.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 10:52:55 PM »
Yes, reset is one of the top priority items to add.  Not in there yet.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »
Heh, the reset button is a todo item, should be easy but I needed to coordinate with Paul first.  If you'really desperate you can delete the autosavefile, found in the same directory you specified for savegames.

Yep,.reversing the button press would be better.  There are other problems.with that screen beyond that though.  I.hope to have something better to show soon.
OUYA, retail version

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2012, 11:21:10 PM »
Heh, the reset button is a todo item, should be easy but I needed to coordinate with Paul first.

I haven't checked if NativeMethods.resetEmulator() is working (may not be hooked up - just need it to fire a core reset command).  I recall a problem where the core reset command froze the emulator, but that was quite a while ago when a lot of things were broken, so it may be fine.  If not, then we can always fire a stop and start to accomplish the same thing.  I can hook this up after I finish the cheats menu if you prefer.