Author Topic: Alpha Testing Underway!  (Read 312969 times)

Offline Vincentmrl

• Cyan Team
  • long
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Testing Underway!
« Reply #285 on: November 20, 2011, 03:18:40 PM »
Hey paul, can you give us a "precise" percentage of what's done in the gui and what you will add after you complete the basic gui? Also: you said we can use our own skins for buttons etc, will we have in the menu button a way to move the buttons quickly without having to go  in the main menu?
Device: Lg Optimus One
CPU: 600 Mhz ARMv6 (Overclocked to 748Mhz ondemand governor)
GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 200
RAM: 512 MB
Resolution: 320 x 480
Rom: Unofficial Cyanogenmod 9

Offline Epic_bubble

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2011, 03:23:27 PM »
I also have a small question. :)

How easy do you think is would be to port your emulator to other platforms such as IOS and webOS? The way this emulator has been created seems very tightly integrated with the way android works so im kinda guessing a lot would need to be re-done.
Device: Xperia play
CPU: Qualcomm 1 GHz Scorpion (Snapdragon)
GPU: Adreno 205
Screen res: 854 ? 480
ROM: stock android 2.3.4 rooted

Offline Mats

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 20, 2011, 03:30:25 PM »
what you doing now with the emulator ;)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #288 on: November 20, 2011, 03:56:14 PM »
Hey paul, can you give us a "precise" percentage of what's done in the gui and what you will add after you complete the basic gui?
The basic GUI is basically written.  There are just the couple things that are broken which I mentioned earlier.  After that I have to put it all together and arrange the code in a way that other developers can follow and comment it.  Another 2 or 3 evenings of work is probably all I'll need to finish it  Sorry, I have a really bad track record of underestimating how long things take, and it also varies depending on what's going on in "real-life" (my job in particular).

Also: you said we can use our own skins for buttons etc, will we have in the menu button a way to move the buttons quickly without having to go  in the main menu?
No, the skins will be static in-game.  Rearranging buttons will require manually editing the pad.ini file until I create a Skin Editor program at some point.

How easy do you think is would be to port your emulator to other platforms such as IOS and webOS? The way this emulator has been created seems very tightly integrated with the way android works so im kinda guessing a lot would need to be re-done.
Basically all of the Java components and the JNI linkage (which includes the touchscreen and key input, on-screen joystick, EGL context, and the GUI - something like 50% of the stuff added to the original Mupen64Plus and Ari64's dynarec).  These ports would a fairly large projects in themselves, but certainly easier than starting completely from scratch.  I don't own an "I" device, so I don't have any plans to tackle such a project at the moment.

what you doing now with the emulator ;)
Nothing.. I'm at work right now.  I'll get back to it some more when I get home this evening.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline Epic_bubble

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 20, 2011, 04:19:05 PM »
Basically all of the Java components and the JNI linkage (which includes the touchscreen and key input, on-screen joystick, EGL context, and the GUI - something like 50% of the stuff added to the original Mupen64Plus and Ari64's dynarec).  These ports would a fairly large projects in themselves, but certainly easier than starting completely from scratch.  I don't own an "I" device, so I don't have any plans to tackle such a project at the moment.

Thanks for your answer, I wanted to know because iOS is one of the only mobile platforms left without a decent n64 emulator, n64iphone is very very slow and limited (Cant use all n64 buttons, no landspace etc). I never expected you to have a go at porting it to iOS but Maybe at some point in the future another dev could use your source code and give it a try. iOS isnt the best platform for emulation anyway, having to jailbreak the phone in order to install emulators is a really big pain especially since newer iDevices cant be jailbroken. xD

Android is pretty much the best mobile operating system when it comes to emulation right now, the only thing better are the desktop OS's like windows and ubuntu.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 04:20:59 PM by Epic_bubble »

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #290 on: November 20, 2011, 08:04:34 PM »
iOS isnt the best platform for emulation anyway, having to jailbreak the phone in order to install emulators is a really big pain especially since newer iDevices cant be jailbroken. xD

That's a good point.  On top of that, it is technically illegal to distribute ANY app which is licensed by the GPL for IDevices, because it violates their "usage rules" agreement.  The "usage rules" themselves violate one of the requirements in paragraph 6 of the GPL:

You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein.

Offline Vincentmrl

• Cyan Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2011, 12:48:44 AM »
Paul, you're an awesome programmer, you ported one of the best n64 emulators in the world it and after it you will port a dreamcast eemulator, I want to learn programming in some way, with what should I start learning? (I'm a Mac) (I can also model)
wow just some days and your GUI will be done, awesome!

Offline Epic_bubble

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2011, 01:55:09 AM »
Paul, you're an awesome programmer, you ported one of the best n64 emulators in the world it and after it you will port a dreamcast eemulator, I want to learn programming in some way, with what should I start learning? (I'm a Mac) (I can also model)
wow just some days and your GUI will be done, awesome!

Pauls answer will differ from mine but I think easiest way to get started was to use visual basic, unfortunately its windows only but some of the things you can learn from visual basic can help you get to grips with the basics of programming. After that I moved onto java which admittedly is much more complex but also a very useful programming language to learn.

Also I dont know why but I love IF statments :P
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:09:07 AM by Epic_bubble »

Offline Vincentmrl

• Cyan Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 21, 2011, 07:41:37 AM »
Pauls answer will differ from mine but I think easiest way to get started was to use visual basic, unfortunately its windows only but some of the things you can learn from visual basic can help you get to grips with the basics of programming. After that I moved onto java which admittedly is much more complex but also a very useful programming language to learn.

Also I dont know why but I love IF statments :P
people says that python is an easy language, it's a language used in Macs too, or i could just try to get visual basic on Mac, there surely should be a way

p.s: if if if if if if if if if if if :3

Offline Mats

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 21, 2011, 10:43:25 AM »
wich cam have u used on the pictures on the first site paul ? it looks really nicce :D

Offline Epic_bubble

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 21, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
wich cam have u used on the pictures on the first site paul ? it looks really nicce :D

Do you mean the pics on the first page of this thread? Most of those pics were taken using screenshot software (Just like using the screenshot button on a desktop computer) and the Pic of the xperia play was taken by me using my iPhone 3GS.

Offline Vincentmrl

• Cyan Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 21, 2011, 12:45:44 PM »
Where should I go to get the settings to disable audio? Audio got boring, it's just damn beatboxing :D

Offline Epic_bubble

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 21, 2011, 01:56:26 PM »
Where should I go to get the settings to disable audio? Audio got boring, it's just damn beatboxing :D

You need a rooted phone to do this but you have to delete this file
/data/data/paulscode.android.mupen64plus/lib/libaudio-sdl.so

Removing that will disable the audio and speed up emulation a bit.

Offline Vincentmrl

• Cyan Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 21, 2011, 03:24:45 PM »

You need a rooted phone to do this but you have to delete this file
/data/data/paulscode.android.mupen64plus/lib/libaudio-sdl.so

Removing that will disable the audio and speed up emulation a bit.

ok. i will just wait for the GUI, don't want to crash my smartphone with any error  :P

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #299 on: November 21, 2011, 03:37:25 PM »
I want to learn programming in some way, with what should I start learning? (I'm a Mac)

A lot of people will recommend taking classes, but I am self-taught so I recommend teaching yourself (it's much cheaper and more effective because you have to learn to work through problems on your own).  On a Windows machine, I would start with Visual Basic, but on a non-Windows machine, I would start with Python.

1) Begin by working through some tutorials (there are tons of them all over the internet for free at various difficulty levels).  If one is too hard, bookmark to it, and keep looking (then come back to it when you have improved).  It might seem tedious, but you're going to want to do a LOT of tutorials to get the feel for "thinking like a programmer".  It doesn't come naturally - takes lots of practice.

2) Once you are very comfortable doing the tutorials, come up with several of your own projects (start simple and work your way to more difficult things).  This will solidify what you learned by copying other peoples code, and give you the skill of being able to turn new ideas into code.  Join several programming forms and ask for help when you get stumped.  If you find that you are struggling particular concepts, be sure to spend extra time practicing those.  Do this until you feel comfortable "thinking like a programmer".

3) Next, begin working through Java tutorials.  In my opinion, Java is the most user-friendly object-oriented programming language out there.  Its basic similarity to C/C++ is also a huge bonus, because those languages are your ultimate goal.  As you did earlier, start with simple and work your way up to the difficult concepts.  Spend some extra time on Threads and synchronization (it's easier to learn this in Java than in C/C++).

4) Come up with several of your own Java projects.  Do this until you feel comfortable with the "object oriented" concept to programming.  If you have a particular area of programming you want to head toward (such as game development), then give yourself at least one big project related to that subject (just to get your mind thinking in the right direction, and it will be a lot more fun than doing random irrelevant projects)

5) Next, begin working through C++ tutorials.  The main thing you will want to focus on here is using pointers, structs, and classes (these are quite different than Java, and will probably take some time to get used to).  Also spend extra time learning how to debug C++.

6) Finally, begin working though some C tutorials.  Most large native projects include both C and C++ source code, so although they are very similar, understanding the differences is important (spending a little extra time on this right up front will save you a lot of headache later).

7) Now you are ready to work toward your original goal (it will probably be several months to get to this point, but well worth it).  If your goal was a game, then start by learning the basic components you will need (such as audio, 2D graphics, 3D, and so on).  Give yourself small projects to learn these concepts, and when you are ready, jump right into your main project.  Expect to spend at least a year on a worthwhile project, especially if you are still new to that particular subject.