Author Topic: SHIELD tv - multiple controllers  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Katana

• bit
    • View Profile
SHIELD tv - multiple controllers
« on: January 18, 2016, 08:07:45 PM »
I doubt that I've found a general-case "bug", since I don't think my situation is too unusual and I hope that I'm missing something. I have a Shield TV, and have been attempting to get emulation of two controllers working. At the moment, I have the SHIELD bundled controller, and a wired Xbox 360 USB controller plugged in. I believe my current version is 3.a.0.

Through the "Help>Controller Configuration" menu, I am able to do a valid controller check with both of my devices - Mupen can recognize both of them as distinct devices. I've also gone into settings and double-checked that Controller Sharing is turned off, so it should be representing the devices separately. However, when I then enter a game, it does not seem to recognize the presence of a second controller. The in-game menu also appears to only list options to change the controller pak for controller 1.

I've also tried switching the controller configuration from "Shield" to "Xbox/Xinput-compatible".

I've tried to read the guides on controller setup, and using multiple controllers, and have tried most of their suggestions, but I don't think I've found much to help. I would appreciate any suggestions, and can try to provide more info if needed.

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
Re: SHIELD tv - multiple controllers
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 12:18:18 AM »
Which game are you playing? Based on what you describe it seems that the database has that game as only supporting 1 player.

Offline Katana

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 08:47:07 PM »
I'm not sure where to find the game compatibility page, but I'd be a little surprised if they're not on there. The two games I've tried so far are Mario Party 2, and Goldeneye 64.

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 12:54:01 AM »
Can you go to the general settings? There should be an option they're to assign a controller to each player. What happens when you do that?

To be more specific, the option is called "multi-player: define each player's controller (s)".  It only becomes activated if you change the default profile for more than one controller.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:00:21 AM by fzurita »

Offline Katana

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 06:12:53 PM »
The section headings are "Display, Audio, Touchscreen, Input, and Data". There is no Multiplayer heading, and there's no setting like you've described.

To reiterate, my version number is 3.a.0. I can't recall where the download came from (might not have found the link directly from this forum) but perhaps this isn't the most recent version?

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 06:34:39 PM »
Ok, you must have an older version. Go here and download the latest:

http://www.paulscode.com/auto-builds/

Offline Katana

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 08:21:50 PM »
Okay! I grabbed the latest build, and while for some reason it still shows up as the exact same version when I enter the "Version" menu, it has all the controls you describe! Haven't done extensive test, but I was able to set up two controllers, and reach the "How many players are playing today" screen on Mario Party 2. I think I'm all set!

Worryingly, the best explanation I can come up with is that I downloaded some kind of adware-infused hack of Mupen from a non-trusted site, and it broke particular functions. Or, perhaps something went wrong with my installation and reinstalling fixed it.

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 10:09:25 PM »
With the auto builds, the version numbers don't change. Also, the only place I would trust to download it from is this website.