Developers Corner > Programming

Eclipse or Netbeans?

(1/5) > >>

Paul:
I've used Netbeans for years, and only recently started using Eclipse because has better supported for Android development.  I've reached the point now where I really like both of them, and tend to have a hard time choosing which one to use when I start new c++ or Java projects.

I'm curious what other developers think of these two IDEs.  Which one do you prefer using? (or do you use a different one entirely?)  What are the pros and cons?

raeleus:
I love Netbeans. I started using Netbeans because that's what the college was using. Then I started training people in those courses which has solidified my dependence on it.

To be honest, I haven't really ever tried Eclipse. I heard that building a Swing GUI is much more easier in Netbeans. Since I primarily deal with students who only want to half-heartedly learn programming and I only have an hour a week with each student, allowing Netbeans handle the GUI code makes my job a lot easier. Sure they won't learn the inner-workings of Swing but they don't care to either.

I read a poll that shown more programmers use Eclipse. Some people are way too defensive about their favorites too. In any case, aren't the core features about the same on both IDE's?

Paul:
I think their core features are about the same.  Eclipse probably has more plug-ins for it, but I don't use a lot of them anyway (except for Android development).  I like the way NetBeans does intentations (spaces, rather than tabs), because that makes the source code formatting look right in other editors (such as gedit if I want to make a quick change or look something up without loading up the whole IDE).

Lately, I tend to use one or the other based on what the subject of the project is.  For example, anything related to sound, I tend to use NetBeans, while graphics-related things I use Eclipse.  Not sure why, it just feels right for some reason, haha  ;D

MaXiMu:
Netbeans also support for Android development with the plugin in case you did not know Instalation step by step    :D

http://www.nbandroid.org/p/installation.html

Paul:
True, but really only for the SDK.  I've seen how to get the NDK going, but it's buggy and doesn't have any debugging integrated like the Eclipse Sequoya plug-ins.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version