Author Topic: Issues with Rare games and more  (Read 2760 times)

Offline SmashMan4

• bit
    • View Profile
Issues with Rare games and more
« on: May 08, 2016, 11:20:39 PM »
Hello, I'm using an nvidia shield portable on Android 4.3 using the latest nightly build to play some old rare games and I noticed that the games have some issues.

Conker runs under 20 fps during the beginning of the game with the bees and it gets worse later on. Diddy Kong racing also runs under 20 when there's more than one racer on the screen. Killer Instinct has the character select flickering and it's slower on certain stages. Jet Force Gemini and Perfect Dark also slow down quite a bit in certain areas. Yoshi Story lags in certain stages, and Chameleon Twist says that the rumble pack is malfunctioning. And Lastly, Mario golf and tennis have graphical and speed issues.

Is there any fix for all of this? I've heard that some of these run with no issue on the Shield portable. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with Rare games and more
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 12:21:23 AM »
Not much can be done. This is all due to imperfect emulation. Your best bet is to try different video plugins until you find one that works. The GLideN64 is the best one so far but it only works well with devices that support GLES 3.0. The shield portable only supports GLES 2.0. You can still try it though, it has issues at startup, but if it stays in a good state, it stays working.

Also, many devices have GPU driver issues which cause issues with specific games. NVidia devices have the best drivers.

Offline SmashMan4

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 08:39:13 PM »
The thing is, some of it is playable at full speeds. Look at the beginning of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmpGowFni10 [nofollow] They must have some kind of setting that makes it all work, but I don't know what it is.

Offline Dr_Bunsen

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 07:25:54 PM »
I use the following settings on Conker on the Shield Portable. I don't pay much attention to fps since the game seems smooth enough even though it's reporting lower than 30fps. The only thing I notice is that the music speed is occasionally a bit variable indicating some slow down at times. Perfectly playable though:

GlideN64-GLES 2.0 with widescreen hack on and Swap Frame Buffers set to On VI update call
640x480 rendered resolution
Stretch screen scaling

Here's my settings for some of the other games you mentioned:
Diddy Kong Racing: Glide64-Fast, 100% zoom, original screen scaling, native resolution

Jet Force Gemini: GlideN64-GLES 2.0 with widescreen hack on and Swap Frame Buffers set to On VI update call, native resolution, 100% zoom, Stretch screen scaling

Mario Golf: Glide64_accurate, 108% zoom, original screen scaling, native resolution

Perfect Dark: Rice-Accurate, 101% zoom, original screen scaling, native resolution

Mario Tennis I couldn't get to work properly with any emulation.

As a rule I've had to tune every game individually, picking individual emulation, zoom, scaling etc for each game on a trial and error basis until I get the best result. I'm in the process of putting my game settings into a table so I'll post when I'm done.

I'm also running an app from the play store called Tegra Overclock. I'm not actually overclocking, but I do have "unleash nvidia shield max potential (*tegra 4 based)" from "extras" checked. It also allows me to change the governor type, I'm usually on "interactive" but can select "performance" if I want, which locks all four cores at 1.91Ghz at the expense of battery life. I haven't found the need to change out of "interactive" with Mupen64 though.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:23:11 PM by Dr_Bunsen »

Offline Dr_Bunsen

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 02:34:07 PM »
Here's a table of settings I use on my Shield Portable with Mupen64+AE latest alpha

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 03:16:16 PM »
This is really useful. It would be nice to select the best profile for each name automatically. I know that GLideN64 can do this on its own, but it's not configured right in the auto builds.

Offline SmashMan4

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 12:58:37 PM »
I'm also running an app from the play store called Tegra Overclock. I'm not actually overclocking, but I do have "unleash nvidia shield max potential (*tegra 4 based)" from "extras" checked. It also allows me to change the governor type, I'm usually on "interactive" but can select "performance" if I want, which locks all four cores at 1.91Ghz at the expense of battery life. I haven't found the need to change out of "interactive" with Mupen64 though.

Thanks for the chart. Sadly though, the tegra app requires $5 and I don't wanna pay $5 for it. :(

Offline Dr_Bunsen

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 03:23:20 PM »
SmashMan4 - You can achieve most of the capability of Tegra Overclock with No-frills CPU Control, which is free, for instance governor control. That's what I was using before Tegra Overclock. I figured I'd go with a Tegra optimised utility since I had the Shield, but to be honest I don't know if the "unleash potential" thing really does much. I previously ran No-frills CPU Control on my GPD G5A gamepad with interactive setting where the stock governor control was pretty bad and it made a significant improvement. By the way, performance setting in No-frills CPU Control will lock all cores at max frequency just like Tegra Overclock does.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:25:56 PM by Dr_Bunsen »

Offline SmashMan4

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 05:29:25 PM »
Ok. I downloaded no frills, set the governor to interactive, and pressed apply, but it looks like its not making a difference. I checked the logs and it's not making much of a difference. Am I using it properly?

Offline fzurita

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 09:17:41 PM »
Don't use ”interactive”, use ”performance”. That should keep your cpu at max clock speed. Also, I'm not sure if these work without being rooted.

Offline SmashMan4

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 12:57:33 PM »
I rooted my shield so I'm good there. But sadly, nothing changed for some reason. It still says I'm using the same clock speed.

Offline Dr_Bunsen

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 12:00:09 PM »
I rooted my shield so I'm good there. But sadly, nothing changed for some reason. It still says I'm using the same clock speed.

I agree that Interactive governor in No Frills CPU may not provide any benefit vs Nvidia built in as it might be well optimised already. It had more effect on my GPD-G5A since that had pretty poorly implemented CPU control. Fzurita is correct that performance will lock all cores at max frequency, which is the most you can do without actually overclocking (which you can't do with No Frills CPU anyway).

Regarding if No Frills is doing what it's supposed to do, you will need to be rooted and when you apply the performance setting it should ask for Superuser permission. If this occurred for you then check the stats and you should see the last 5 seconds is 100% at 1.912Ghz and if you refresh it doesn't change. This indicates your cores are all running at max.  I took off Tegra Overclock and put No-frills on my Shield portable and it worked as I described. Note that you need to exit No-frills after applying the setting change and then re-open the app to see the change. It looks like interactive doesn't spend much time at all above 1.224GHz, so you should see some improvement by using Performance.

Offline SmashMan4

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 09:39:33 AM »

I agree that Interactive governor in No Frills CPU may not provide any benefit vs Nvidia built in as it might be well optimised already. It had more effect on my GPD-G5A since that had pretty poorly implemented CPU control. Fzurita is correct that performance will lock all cores at max frequency, which is the most you can do without actually overclocking (which you can't do with No Frills CPU anyway).

Regarding if No Frills is doing what it's supposed to do, you will need to be rooted and when you apply the performance setting it should ask for Superuser permission. If this occurred for you then check the stats and you should see the last 5 seconds is 100% at 1.912Ghz and if you refresh it doesn't change. This indicates your cores are all running at max.  I took off Tegra Overclock and put No-frills on my Shield portable and it worked as I described. Note that you need to exit No-frills after applying the setting change and then re-open the app to see the change. It looks like interactive doesn't spend much time at all above 1.224GHz, so you should see some improvement by using Performance.
Yea, looks like its running at 1.912Ghz. However, it hasn't made much of a difference. The game runs at around 20-30 fps depending on how much is on the screen. So I don't think its the processor. Maybe it's an older version that made Conker work just fine, and something happened that made it really slow.