Author Topic: Side-scroller game for OUYA  (Read 73540 times)

Offline harrbri

• bit
    • View Profile
Re: Side-scroller game for OUYA
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 07:40:37 PM »
i have a nexus 7 and was wondering if it would be testable on other android devices with say button mapping.

Offline Vincentmrl

• Cyan Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 07:46:16 PM »
i have a nexus 7 and was wondering if it would be testable on other android devices with say button mapping.
Paul said it can be for other android devices and the test engine will be tested on browser. He will port the test engine to ouya, and at that point it looks that he'll make a normal android engine.
Device: Lg Optimus One
CPU: 600 Mhz ARMv6 (Overclocked to 748Mhz ondemand governor)
GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 200
RAM: 512 MB
Resolution: 320 x 480
Rom: Unofficial Cyanogenmod 9

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2013, 08:15:15 PM »
Paul said it can be for other android devices and the test engine will be tested on browser. He will port the test engine to ouya, and at that point it looks that he'll make a normal android engine.
Yes, initially it will be a browser-based applet for playing around with concepts (keyboard controlled).  Once I begin the real development I'll port the engine to the OUYA and begin doing the real work.  I'll probably add a simple interface for button mapping early on so folks with Android devices can help test levels and what-not.  Eventually I'll do a proper Android port, with touch-screen control option and a more solid controller mapping component, but the OUYA game will come first so I don't get bogged down with trying to support a huge range of devices and input methods.

Hope I can get to work with you guys, thanks.
I know a lot of folks on the forum would be very capable of doing the artwork or modeling, so I'll have to make a decision at some point.  The team will necessarily be small (I can't afford a big development team).  I might do a competition if lots of people want to get involved, and pick the person I think will fit the style I'm looking for.

Another thought would be instead of paying folks up front, we could agree that everyone on the team would get an equal share of profits (after calculating taxes) from both the Kickstarter campaign when it is run, and for the first year of sales.  That would allow the team to be larger and complete the game more quickly, but of course nobody would actually make any money until the game was basically finished.  Anybody have thoughts on this?  Nobody has really brought up what they'd expect to be paid for their work, so just throwing around some ideas here.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline Tripod

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2013, 09:38:16 PM »
I'm liking the possession idea.

Some thoughts that come to mind:
Caped Soul could have a physical body and is completely stationary and vulnerable as s/he calls forth and maintains his spiritual form/s.

Perhaps s/he acquires each boss' souls or an item to summon more which will progressively allow more at your command.  This will allow you to make some very well hidden puzzles in the early levels that are essentially locked until later if you wanted to.

Extending to the idea of having more souls/spirits, the player can choose a combination of how many spirits they would like to control at any time.  Combining all current souls into one will call forth the player's most potent spirit (an ultimate spirit of sorts) which can posses larger objects and more powerful enemies and do so at the farthest distance from the physical body.  How many current souls the player has obtained will determine how potent the ultimate spirit is.  Conjuring more spirits would cause them to be a proportion of the so-called ultimate spirit and each are limited to possessing smaller objects, weaker enemies and at a much shorter range.  Different ratios could be used: If you have a total of 3 souls currently, 2 souls in 1 spirit while only 1 soul in the other spirit could be a combination.

Caped Soul initially came to mind as a being with a skeletal/demonic mask and once pulled off would reveal an intangible, ghostly head which would 'leak' out the spirits obtained thus far with each leaving a tail tethered to his/her would-be face.  I thought about it a bit longer and perhaps this would make the character and setting too dark and if the bosses are of the same 'race' their appearance may be very similar.

Then I thought jewels/gems could be used to contain the souls and that Caped Soul could be an alias for a normal human to hide his/her true identity to save his/her loved ones from danger (or it could just be their real name) which could make the story a tiny bit more relatable and possibly introduce new mechanics.  In terms of being more relatable, Caped Soul could have received a family heirloom (an amulet etc.) and unbeknownst to him/her it contains a powerful soul of some importance (a king or pharaoh etc.).  This leads others with these gems to seek out Caped Soul to prey on his inexperience with this power and try to take the amulet for themselves to have the power they need to overwhelm the more experienced gem wielders in order to gain their gems too.  In regards to new mechanics, each gem would produce a spirit with a similar colour to the gem they are contained in.  Combining spirits would perform certain mixtures of colours that would be necessary for certain possessions to be successful.  For example a purple monster may only be possessed by a purple spirit.  The gems jewellery could be contained in jewellery worn by the characters such as a diamond amulet, ruby ring, sapphire earring, emerald pocket-watch and a jet crown.  Or maybe the CMYK colour model should be used.

This then brings into mind how many bosses there would be, for 3 primary colours there would be 2 main bosses which might be a bit too small.  There could be 4 main bosses to make 3 primary colours, white and black, but that might be too many spirit which may overwhelm the gamer and may also be hard to implement levels based off them.

I really don't know, but these are some things that came to mind.  Hopefully they can be of some use.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:40:30 PM by Tripod »
Device: Galaxy Nexus "maguro" (GSM/HSPA+)
CPU: 1.2 GHz TI OMAP 4460 ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core
GPU: 304 MHz PowerVR SGX540 (Underclocked)
Memory: 1 GB
Resolution: 1280x720
Factory Image: yakju 4.2.1 (JOP40D) non-rooted

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »
I like a lot of what you brought up there.  I especially like having the main character be a normal human.  This would make him much easier for the player to relate to, and would provide more opportunity to work in that "self awareness" factor that Alex mentioned.  Additionally it would help bring the game more in line with the style that I'm looking for, I think.

Building on your ideas, what comes to mind is the relationship between Ichigo and Zangetsu (if you are familiar with Bleach).  Basically the gem would contain the "Caped Soul" (also the title of the game).  The Caped Soul would be a mysterious, shadowy being, who the main character (a human boy) would forge a relationship with throughout the game, and learn wield more effectively to accomplish possessions.  Learning the identity of the Caped Soul could be one of the main plot points, and there could always be a question of whether it can be trusted as a friend, or if it is only manipulating its human master to achieve its own goals.

For enemies, I think that they could be creatures that are simply drawn to the Caped Soul's energy (much like the hollows in Bleach being drawn to the most powerful soul reapers, or evil being drawn to Mordor as Sauron regained his power in Lord of the Rings).  The bosses would be other "soul wielders" or "possessors" (or whatever we decide to call them).  As far as number of bosses, I want the game to be relatively fast-paced, which will translate to more bosses.  I don't think we need to have only one boss of each color, or even have colors be of such importance in the first place.  I would say we could come up with a triad balance based on the colors red, green, and blue (a paper-rock-scissors type of deal) where blue is most effective against red, red against green, and green against blue)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:43:35 PM by Paul »

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2013, 09:02:08 AM »
I was thinking some more about the "self awareness" piece that we want to work into the game.  One place we could start this discussion is with the question "Wouldn't it be cool if...", from the perspective of classic Nintendo games.  Smash Bros, for example, used this concept with great success, by asking the obvious question "Wouldn't it be cool if classic video game heroes could face off against each other?"

The first question that jumped to mind was "Wouldn't it be cool if Mario had the power to control the enemies?"  That's too literal, of course, but it did get me thinking.. what is it about SMB that I really liked?  What can I take from it, so that my game feels like a new SMB with Mario having cool new powers?  Not talking about the story here, but how the player feels playing the game for the first time.  The more I think about it, the thing which sticks out to me most about SMB is worlds 1-1 and 1-2.  Specifically entering 1-2 after having completed 1-1.  I vividly remember the feeling I got having gone from the bright outdoors, open feel of world 1-1, and finding myself in the dark, enclosed dungeon of world 1-2... the shiny yellow/orange question mark blocks and coins that seemed out of place compared to the blue-tent that dominates the map.  If I could capture that feeling in my game, I think it would go a long way towards giving the player that sense of nostalgia.

So the result of this first "Wouldn't it be cool if..." line of thought: We should make the first map very bright, open, and outdoorsy, with a clear blue sky and sparse green vegetation.  It should transition to a second map that is dark, bluish tent, pitch-black background, sparsely dotted with shiny yellow/orange objects (will depend on what objects we use in the game).  I think this could go a long way toward bringing in memories of SMB without looking like a complete rip-off.

Anyone else have strong memories if something specific from SMB or another of the classic nintendo games?

Anyone have some other "Wouldn't it be cool if..." questions?  Don't worry if they are too literal.. like the one above the idea is just to get the thought process moving so we end up with an idea to help facilitate a sense of nostalgia while playing the game.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 09:07:55 AM by Paul »

Offline Tom.K

• Green Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
I would say we could come up with a triad balance based on the colors red, green, and blue (a paper-rock-scissors type of deal) where blue is most effective against red, red against green, and green against blue)
The similar example of that would be The Ancients in " Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Darkness:_Sanity%27s_Requiem#The_Ancients

Offline Vincentmrl

• Cyan Team
  • long
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2013, 12:38:43 AM »
For the  story, I have 2 ideas:
1: The caped soul in the amulet is actually evil and the "main enemy" makes the person get powerful enough to fight the caped soul in the last level, because if he told the umexperienced weak person at the beginning, the caped soul would kill him.
2:Another idea is, the evil guy makes everyone think the person is the evil one, by morphing into his shape and doing evil things (this  was heavily inspired by mario sunshine)
Also gameplay wise, I have some ideas too:
1:there could be 5 amulets, white/purple will be the one you'll start with (white if soul is good and purple if soul is black) and the main enrmy would own the black one. This way there can be 3 bosses then final boss.
2: the white amulet could be held by a good powerful person that kid has to run to in the end of the game to save himself. Also the kid would get the white amuler in the game and unlock a special power and concept art etc.
Device: Lg Optimus One
CPU: 600 Mhz ARMv6 (Overclocked to 748Mhz ondemand governor)
GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 200
RAM: 512 MB
Resolution: 320 x 480
Rom: Unofficial Cyanogenmod 9

Offline JNiceNick

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2013, 04:25:26 PM »
Wouldn't it be cool if instead of limiting one's freedom with whatever Nintendo/Sony etc. games were able to achieve you put some effort into making roguelike-stiled RPG with sophisticated talent tree (with ghosts and whatever being some of abilities), randomly generated monsters (giant flaming-skin flying freez-breathing mushrooms and such), fully destructible levels and multiple character races instead? Greatest benefits of the genre are ability to fully indulge oneself into creation (and possibly never finish resulting game) and immediately incorporate any community-provided good ideas, as if it all was planned from very beginning.

PS do not take this too seriously, probably just played ToME 4 too much...

Offline ghshan

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2013, 01:58:37 AM »
well ive got an idea for a storyline. the protagonist (make it a male) could have someone dear to him kidnapped by the antagonist (like how most game story lines go) and that the protagonist has to travel extremely large distances getting seriously hurt along the way but not giving a crap about the pain as he has to save that person dear to him.

P.S the protagonist could be a master swordsman.

this is just a suggestion if you like the idea please consider it
Device: Xperia Play
Android Version: 2.3.4

Offline shuy3n

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 08:07:37 AM »
Thought I'd chip in with a mechanic even though i don't know the constraints of the OUYA, could possession work as by you stand still, then touch the touch pad which lifts your soul from the body and you then control it onscreen from the touchpad hovering over an enemy/object for a tiny period of time will then posess that enemy/object, releasing will return the soul to the body

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 08:16:32 AM »
I don't know - seems like that could be a little awkward, but I'll refrain judgement until I give it a test.  My thought was to show a targeting "line" that extends from the center of the player when the "posses" button is pressed.  It can be rotated 360 degrees using the analog stick (2D view of the game, so that can easily cover every possible direction).  Releaseing the button "fires" the soul in whatever direction you aimed it (possessing whatever it collides with).

Offline Alex Gleason

• byte
    • View Profile
    • Google+
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2013, 11:04:55 PM »
"Caped Soul".
It would need to be made way more "Nintendoy"

Many of Nintendo's ideas and characters are adaptations of Japanese folklore. For instance:

Kappa (Koopa)
Tanuki (Tanooki)
The statue Tanooki Mario can transform into is a Ksitigarbha

Maybe we should consider implementing Japanese folklore as a tribute to this. While searching for Japanese mythology which features capes, I stumbled across Aka Manto which literally translates into "Red Cape".

See here for an explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_urban_legend#Aka_Manto_.28Red_Cape.29

This is a pretty dark piece of folklore, but equally are the legends that Nintendo drew from to create its characters. As the Wikipedia article for Kappa says:

Kappa are usually seen as mischievous troublemakers or trickster figures. Their pranks range from the relatively innocent, such as loudly passing gas or looking up women's kimonos, to the malevolent, such as drowning people and animals, kidnapping children, and raping women.

So perhaps something can be done with the Aka Manto or a similar legend.

EDIT: Perhaps the caped soul could alternate between red and blue capes under different circumstances. Do we want him to be the playable character, or a rival (possibly primary rival)?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:13:07 PM by Alex Gleason »

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2013, 09:36:17 AM »
Very interesting.  I particularly like the concept in the legend about choosing how you are going to die, and "the only way to win is not to play".  The whole bathroom thing is just weird.

If we abandon the kid with the jewel containing the caped soul for a second, my initial thought for how this legend could work into a game, is to have the player control a caped figure wearing a mask in an attempt to look menacing (as a "Nintendoy" character, it would be something similar to Shy Guy).  To accomplish a possession, he would remove his mask and lock gazes with an enemy before jumping into it (basically using his charisma as a weapon to disarm the target as it were).  During the short duration where he and the target have locked gazes, his cape would flash between red and blue, slowing down until it lands on a random color.  If it lands on red, the enemy is immediately killed when the soul jumps into it.  If it lands on blue, the soul takes possession of the enemy.  If the enemy breaks the gaze, then the possession fails.  I think if the animations for the possession sequence are done well, this should give the impression that the enemy chose his fate (or chose not to play)

I'm actually now torn between the concept of controlling a human character that is wielding the soul as a weapon, or just controlling the soul directly.  The latter would be simpler and certainly fit the legend better, but the story behind the former could be a lot more compelling.  I'll have to think about this some more.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2013, 10:28:18 AM »
Another thought besides flashing capes, would be to have the cape just red all the time.  Instead, the enemies could point toward the soul (making a choice), and the word "...red" or "...blue" appear in a word-bubble over their head, before the soul jumps into them.  And a bubble with "!!" could appear over the enemies if they break the gaze (as they turn around and walk the other way).  I'm just thinking of ways to make it obvious that the enemy is making a choice.  Any other thoughts?

Also, I was thinking that a possessed enemy/ object could have a blue tint to it (just to tie into the legend a little more with the colors)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 10:42:46 AM by Paul »