Author Topic: Side-scroller game for OUYA  (Read 74812 times)

Offline Vincentmrl

• Cyan Team
  • long
    • View Profile
Re: Side-scroller game for OUYA
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2013, 03:47:48 PM »
what about some fast "tricky" challenge to possess an enemy? Something like you said but that would need things like swiping (on smartphones and tablets), moving analog sticks (OUYA and Xperia play) and moving the phone/tablet/OUYA gamepad (if it has a sensor). Also the blue for the enemy should be a bright blue with light, since the one that is possessing the enemy is a good person, and red if some sorta of boss possess them

Also I got a puzzling idea: Giving you the possibility to move the main character with one stick, and the enemy with the other one. This would make great puzzles
Device: Lg Optimus One
CPU: 600 Mhz ARMv6 (Overclocked to 748Mhz ondemand governor)
GPU: Qualcomm Adreno 200
RAM: 512 MB
Resolution: 320 x 480
Rom: Unofficial Cyanogenmod 9

Offline shuy3n

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2013, 09:41:46 AM »
Randomly flicked through my friends comic book collection and came across a guy name "Task Master" mite be a good reference for you main char?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2013, 09:08:52 AM »
I really want to get some momentum going on this project, but seem to be in a bit of a quagmire with my other projects (Mupen64Plus AE updates, Open Pandora port, N64 controller project, OUYA port).

I'll put together a weekly schedule to better organize my free time and ensure that nothing ends up on a back burner indefinitely.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline littleguy

• Developer
  • double
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2013, 11:15:12 AM »
Let me know if I can lighten the load.  I can start by not pushing so many updates to the ae repo  :P
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »
LOL, you're actually a huge help.  The project would be moving quite a bit slower if it wasn't for your efforts (and I'd have a lot more on the queue that needed prioritizing)

Offline shuy3n

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
LOL, you're actually a huge help.  The project would be moving quite a bit slower if it wasn't for your efforts (and I'd have a lot more on the queue that needed prioritizing)

have you finalised the story and setting yet Paul also what art style did you decide on, wind waker esque?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »
I haven't finalized the story - still torn on whether to have a human handler be the main character controlling the caped soul, or having the caped soul be the main character.  As far as art style, definitely NOT wind waker (I hated that look!)  I'm thinking more like NSMB (clean, bright "Nintendoy" graphics, not "Cartoony")

Offline hortino

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2013, 11:39:28 PM »
Had a few thoughts on the game.
     First, in regards to possessing things. I hate how in some games you can interact with certain creatures/objects, only to come across a similiar creature/object and not be able to interact with it for no reason, apart from "you don't need to." i.e. tubes in mario. Specifically pointing towards the puzzle aspect of the game. If you can possess one door you come across, like to open it and reveal a power up kind of like chests in other games, then you should be able to possess all doors, some revealing 'shinies' most revealing nothin, some revealing enemies even.
    Second, in regards to the main character being a human weilding a spirt v. just a spirit. My initial thought is a game map similiar to mario, where you move about the map from node to node. Where the main character is a human and the "nodes" could be like mystical looking stones that you can possibly possess (simply transporting you to a certain level where you now take on your spirit form) or use a different color crystal to insert into the stone, each crystal endowing you with a different skill set or allowing you to possess different types of things (enemies, inanimates, or statues.)

I thought of the italicized mechanic while typing. I don't necessarily like it in that context, but I do think it is an interesting mechanic and adds to the complexity a bit. It opens up the replay value of the game, as one choice may progress you through the game, another will land you valuable power ups/loot.

EDIT: Thinking about the graphics of the game. The series "Zenonia" for iOS and Android has simple, clean graphics. Not saying you copy them, but you may be able to find some inspiration in their design.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:42:36 AM by hortino »

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »
If you can possess one door you come across ... then you should be able to possess all doors

That is exactly what I was thinking.  You would be able to possess really anything, but whether or not it was useful would depend on the particular area or puzzle.

My initial thought is a game map similiar to mario, where you move about the map from node to node. Where the main character is a human and the "nodes" could be like mystical looking stones that you can possibly possess (simply transporting you to a certain level where you now take on your spirit form)

That's an interesting idea - it sort of provides a third option, where you are controlling both the human character and the spirit in two separate and distinct aspects of the game (along a similar vein to Act Raiser, where you control both the angel and the god)

The series "Zenonia" for iOS and Android has simple, clean graphics. Not saying you copy them, but you may be able to find some inspiration in their design.

Not really in terms of perspective though (it looks to be 2D overhead, where as I am wanting to do 3D characters on 2D side-view).

Offline hortino

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2013, 02:01:03 PM »
Not really in terms of perspective though (it looks to be 2D overhead, where as I am wanting to do 3D characters on 2D side-view).

Like I said, I know that isnt the design you were looking at, but they have lots of different character models that would be relevant to this genre, and again not copy them, but I thought maybe you could get some ideas from those.

Im a little cloudy when you say, "3d character on a 2d side view."
Do you mean like a 3d character in a 3d environment, but you are only scrolling along one axis of this 3d environment? Will the character only be able to move left to right on the screen, or also "in-to" the screen?

Expanding on the side-scrolling format a bit. Generally when you think of a 2d environment, it has an x-axis(left to right) and a y-axis(up and down), but suppose we added a 3rd axis 'z'(into the screen). Along that z-axis, you could define more "x-axis," parallel to the orignal x axis, at z=0,1,2,3 ect.. 0 being the orignal x axis that you are initially moving along. Now, along these additional lines on this z axis you have another string of enemies, objects, etc.. These additional lines, could have optional content, hidden items, puzzles, or whatever.

Excuse me for the mathy explanation. I'm a math major, so its the only way I could think of it lol. Also its just an idea. I think it opens the game up a bit, but if nothing else maybe it will give someone else an idea.

Offline littleguy

• Developer
  • double
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2013, 02:10:42 PM »
Do you mean like a 3d character in a 3d environment, but you are only scrolling along one axis of this 3d environment? Will the character only be able to move left to right on the screen, or also "in-to" the screen?

I think he means 2d as in planar motion - left,right,up,down - with no motion into the screen.  3d models limited to 2d motion.  Like Trine.

but suppose we added a 3rd axis 'z'(into the screen). Along that z-axis, you could define more "x-axis," parallel to the orignal x axis, at z=0,1,2,3 ect.. 0 being the orignal x axis that you are initially moving along.

Reminds me of Double Dragon.  I would call that 2-and-a-half D.
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2013, 07:14:22 PM »
By 3D characters in 2D, I mean the characters will be 3D models, allowing smoother animations, greater range of motion, nicer lighting and shading, and cleaner special effects.  The maps however will be 2D.  Not 3D viewed from only one angle - actually flat 2D layers.  The idea is that if you only view something from one direction, then it can be simulated with far fewer polygons.  So for example, the entire background for one screen-width of the map could be rendered with only 2 polys (or 4, 6, 8, etc if you do layered backgrounds).

There are some advantages to a system like this:

1) Less 3D modelling work (a major chunk of the development time)
2) Faster map design (additional levels and upgrades will be easier)
3) Smaller app size (map definitions will be small text files)
4) Simpler hit detection (only need to calculate oval intersections)
5) Less processing power (freeing resources for other things)

The system will also allow the game to be ported to vanilla Android down the road and be supported on a larger range of devices.  I'll basically be marketing the game on "cool idea" and "fun to play", not on "cutting edge" or "awesome graphics".

Offline hortino

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »
Ah, I see now. I like the idea of clean and simple as opposed to choppy and complicated. Have you gotten anywhere on what you want your main character to look like?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2013, 06:42:43 PM »
Yes, I'm thinking he should look something similar to Shy Guy, but with a cape rather than a hoodie.  If you google "shy guy" that will give you an excellent idea of what I mean by the "Nintendoy" style I'm after for the game.  Whoever does the character modelling will also have to come up with an appropriate "face beneath the mask", since removing the mask is how he will possess things.

Offline shuy3n

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2013, 06:17:42 PM »
edit:after looking at it i see how bad it is but wont tidy as i think i have a better idea of the concept now

quickest dirtiest sketch you'll ever see but i think i went something spawned from kokiri forest kinda direction instead of mario