Author Topic: Analog Controller FAQ and Compatibility List  (Read 175369 times)

Offline Nick.007

• bit
    • View Profile
Re: Analog Controller FAQ and Compatibility List
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 07:39:50 AM »
Android version 4.0.3
i think its stock firmware? the phone has been rooted if that makes a difference :S
running windows 7
the controller is identical except for the colour
-ebay link:
 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261132226644?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 [nofollow]
and the adapter:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300563666614?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 [nofollow]
and not running any app or anything, the phone recognizes the adapter once is plugged in and then again when the USB memory stick is plugged into the adapter

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 08:10:06 AM »
Well this one has me really stumped.  At this point my best suggestions are the following

- Try connecting this adapter and controller to another device running Android 3.1 or higher.  Can be a friend's device, and they don't even need to install mupen.  Just plug it in and see if you can navigate menus of other apps using the d-pad.

- Try connecting a different USB-based controller to your Galaxy S2.  Can be a PC, Xbox, or PS3 controller as long as it connects through USB (not bluetooth).  (Wireless controllers that require a USB dongle are acceptable.)

Then let me know which of these combinations work and which don't.  That should isolate the problem.  In the meantime I'll update the first post to warn users that compatibility with this controller is uncertain.

2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline xperia64

• double
    • View Profile
    • My Apps
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 12:30:36 PM »
On some S2's, rooting requires the kernel to be changed and most custom S2 OS's/kernels do not support OTG host mode for whatever reason. My usb otg adapter doesnt seem to work on AOKP or CM10.1

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 08:20:03 PM »
An OUYA user reported having a Retrolink N64 USB controller that doesn't seem to be recognized on the OUYA either, so this may be a problematic controller.  I'll get some more details from him to see if it is the same issue of not being detected at all.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline Nick.007

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2013, 09:15:33 AM »
Ok so i connected the Retrolink to my dad's Galaxy Nexus (running Android Version 4.1.2) - no luck
Not only did it not recognise the controller but it didnt seem to recognise the adapter either (on my S2 a notification comes up saying that its connected/disconnected) but nothing on the Nexus
Also with my S2 (with the memory stick connected) i can go to Applications>My Files>usbStorage to confirm that its working
However with the Nexus there is no <My files> folder so i cant check that

I installed Mupen (on the nexus) just to be sure and got the same results as the S2
-nothing in Analog Info
-Controller Diagnostics, nothing happened when i pushed buttons on the controller

I can take another screenshot of "Controller info" but i dont think it will make a difference.

I connected an Xbox 360 controller to the S2 and nothing happened. Not sure if I'm supposed to change something in settings or do something to make it work? or is it supposed to just start working by itself?

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
A wired xbox 360 controller should give you no problems at all, it should just work right out of the box when you plug it in.  Haven't heard of any generalized controller issues with those particular phones until now.  So maybe it's a device configuration issue, or the adapter is unusual.  I'd look into forums like XDA and see if anyone else is having problems with the S2.  I'd start by following up on xperia64's advice.
OUYA, retail version

Offline tdshain

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 05:12:42 PM »
An OUYA user reported having a Retrolink N64 USB controller that doesn't seem to be recognized on the OUYA either, so this may be a problematic controller.  I'll get some more details from him to see if it is the same issue of not being detected at all.

Having the same issues with the Retrolink on OUYA. It doesn't respond to anything in the diag and controller info looks the same with the device connected/disconnected.

Offline Nick.007

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2013, 09:43:32 PM »
I haven't had any luck finding a solution to this problem. I've posted on XDA forums but received no response.

Offline tdshain

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2013, 02:03:55 AM »
I haven't had any luck finding a solution to this problem. I've posted on XDA forums but received no response.

Going to look into this a little more myself, but it looks like I might just have to return the controllers and look for another brand.

Offline riverslq

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2013, 03:19:42 AM »
i'll third this one..
retrolink doesn't exist according to the ouya.  windows like it just fine, ouya doesn't even know anything is plugged in.
avoid it imho.

now about those mayflash calibration issues?  O:)

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2013, 08:06:40 AM »
Mayflash calibration is fixed in the upcoming update.  Thanks for the retrolink report.
OUYA, retail version

Offline shifted

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2013, 12:31:52 PM »
I just got an nVidia Shield and all of the buttons work within Mupen64+AE free off the market.  That includes both analog sticks and both triggers on the back of the device in addition to all the normal buttons and d-pad.  I tested using Majora's Mask. 

It is running Android 4.2.1 and is otherwise stock from nVidia.  There was a day one OTA update from nVidia though that was 400+mb in size.  Not sure if that changed versions of Android on me since I allowed it to happen before I did anything with the device at all.

I know this may not be the place but Majora's Mask goes to a black screen if I am in the game and push start.  I would say I have about 10 seconds to do what I need to do in the start screen before the screen turns black, though I can still see the on screen controls that are within Majora's Mask, like the A, B and c stick buttons   If I just push start to get out of the start screen it functions normally again.  I am not sure if that's a known issue or part of my device.  I mention it since this is a compatibility thread and if that issue isn't known I guess it could be my device.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 12:39:36 PM by shifted »

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »
Great, thanks much for confirming the inputs :D

Regarding the Majora's Mask issue, please start a new thread (if there's not already a thread on the subject) and I'll be happy to answer there.  Just want to keep this thread focused on controller compatibility ;)
OUYA, retail version

Offline baizen

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2013, 02:00:00 AM »
I spent quite some time "playing" around with the Nyko Playpad Pro mapping to see if there's a way to get the mapper to always get the AXIS_Y/X instead of the AXIS_HAT_Y/X. I found out that moving the pad slowly towards the edge and leaving it there, leads to a higher rate of AXIS_HAT_X/Y (you get it around the 50-65% of the time, estimate). If you do a really quick movement, like just using the tip of your index finger, moving it really quickly towards the edge and then letting it go immediately, leads to a notoriously higher rate of AXIS_X/Y instead (around 90-95%). It's the only pattern I could find. Barely moving the pad only to the minimum where it starts recognizing the movement didn't seem to make a difference.

I made a video test below. With the quick movements I got 10 out of 10 AXIS_X, while with the slower ones while leaving the pad on the edge got 5 out of 11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z6Z8Ga6qTY&feature=youtu.be
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N900T
Asus Transformer Prime

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2013, 06:55:10 AM »
Thanks, but what are you trying to tell me?  Is there a problem we should be aware of?  A long time back we added a hack just for the Nyko PlayPad so that it would ignore the AXIS_HAT_X/Y signals and only listen to AXIS_X/Y.  Is this not working for you?

Also, could you please go to Settings -> Input -> Controller -> menu -> Analog info
and take a screenshot? Thanks.
OUYA, retail version