Mupen64Plus AE > General Discussion

Analog Controller FAQ and Compatibility List

<< < (2/19) > >>

littleguy:
That's strange, I've been running the Nexus 7 with 4.2.1 for awhile now, and this week I confirmed operation with all the BT devices I listed above.

Edit: I'm pretty sure those bug reports referred to 4.2.0, which was a minor disaster of a release.  4.2.1 is fine, at least for the controllers I listed.

jonjon:

--- Quote from: littleguy on January 24, 2013, 09:37:29 AM ---That's strange, I've been running the Nexus 7 with 4.2.1 for awhile now, and this week I confirmed operation with all the BT devices I listed above.

--- End quote ---

My personal experience only covers the wiimote as far are Bluetooth is concerned. Since 4.2.1 it no longer works natively or via 3rd party apps on nexus 7 stock fw unrooted.

Regarding other bluetooth controllers and six axis etc. I have read a lot on xda about connection problems with setting up and dropping issues. The bug report I linked to seems to confirm this too.

If you haven't noticed any issues then that is good news but it doesn't correlate with what I've been reading, did you test the controllers for any length of time? (Not meaning to be rude, just an honest question)

I hope I am wrong, I have just been researching extensively as I was thinking of getting either a Wii classic controller or cheap BT alternative and kept coming across issues. Either way I will wait for the next nexus 7 software release before getting anything. I also hope that i'm not stirring any unnecessary confusion here...

--- Quote ---
Edit: I'm pretty sure those bug reports referred to 4.2.0, which was a minor disaster of a release.  4.2.1 is fine, at least for the controllers I listed.

--- End quote ---

The later reports at the bottom half of the list refer to 4.2.1

littleguy:
Interesting, thanks for the info.  I picked up a (genuine Sony) PS3 controller a month ago and have used it for many Mario sessions lasting over an hour.  Rooted with Sixaxis has provided flawless analog control.  Haven't noticed a single issue.  The other bluetooth controllers, I only used them maybe 5 minutes at a time, so you bring up a very good point.

If you don't already own a bluetooth controller, I'd definitely give the ones confirmed above a try.  If you're not rooted, I'd stay away from the MOGA and the PS3 controllers because true analog requires root for those.  The others use standard HID protocols and seem to "just work" out of the box.  I'd definitely give them a try in person if you can, as you may not like the feel of some of them.

Edit: Also, doesn't the wiimote require a third-party app to be seen in Android?  If so, I'd wonder if that has anything to do with your issues.

jonjon:
The wiimote should just pair with android natively but with 4.2.1 you are prompted to enter a pin that doesn't exist.

I would hope that if that first step was working ok then mupen 64 should be able to map the controls natively too without any third party app.

For other games (that lack the very decent mapping options such as mupen's) you might have to rely on third party apps that go the IME route. This should also work with mupen with no problems if native input doesn't work. This might also be necessary when using the classic controller.

The problem is that AFAIK none of the third party apps are working with nexus 7 4.2.1 ....

Thanks for your suggestions but I will be waiting a little while, I have wired controller in the mean time so I'm OK for now. I also don't fancy rooting so I can definitely be patient.

Thanks for all your responses and advice!

littleguy:
I see.  Well yes,if you can make the initial bt connection then you should be home free with mupen.  I do know from working with wiimotes on windows that their bluetooth implementation is not 100% standard (nor is the ps3) so that probably has something to do with it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version