Author Topic: Mupen64 connecting two or more wii controllers  (Read 11097 times)

Offline drumer89

• bit
    • View Profile
Mupen64 connecting two or more wii controllers
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »
Using: Mupen64 Plus AE

Problem with: Multi-player (Define each player’s controller)

Hey guys, my issue is connecting more than one wii controller with the emulator. It seems Mupen64 recognizes "Device 0" and no other devices (yet clearly I have two wii controllers connected which is recognized by "wiimote controller" as separate controllers). I did go to the assign players feature but only device 0 is recognized. When i try and play a game there are times where both controllers are able to navigate but only for "player one". Is there something im missing?  Here is some info on what im using;

Connecting 2 authentic Nintendo Wii controllers (OEM) with the program Wiimote controller
One controller Works Flawlessly but the second is not registered as another player/controller (I tried almost everything)
Using the Acer Iconia A100 (dual core 1Ghz processor with 1GB ram running Nvidea Tegra 2)
Mupen64 Plus AE fully updated as of 1/28/2013

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
Re: Mupen64 connecting two or more wii controllers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:46:56 PM »
Thanks, I saw your PM, I'll answer here so others can read.

The first thing I need to know is if it's even technically possible for Mupen to distinguish the wiimotes with your setup.  Please go to Settings=>Advanced=>Controller info.  Scroll down to where you see the wiimote(s) listed and post what you see (for both of them if they are both listed).  A screen shot is fine or just write down the text.  The critical fields are Device, Id, (and Descriptor if you're running JellyBean).
2012 Nexus 7, rooted stock Lollipop
Samsung Galaxy Victory, rooted stock Jelly Bean
Xperia PLAY, stock Gingerbread
OUYA, retail version

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:23:16 PM »
It's been a while since I used Wiimote Controller (had it on my old Droid X), but if I remember correctly, it only converts the input into keyboard events, correct?  If so, then I'd guess "Device 0" represents the keyboard, which both controllers are being channeled through.  The setup would be similar to 2 players both using a keyboard for multiplayer.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline Quietlyawesome94

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:26:06 PM »
Makes sense to me. He could have the both set up as keyboards, and then make sure the keycodes they are both sending are different. Analog for one being WASD and the other being IJKL.

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 10:29:20 PM »
Yes, IF the two controllers are masquerading as a single device, you will need to change some settings in the "Wiimote Controller" app, not Mupen.  I don't have that app, but there may be some settings in it where you can define the button mappings differently for each controller, just like Quietlyawesome said.

If on the other hand, mupen is seeing them as distinct devices in the Controller info screen, then that might be something for me to address in the Mupen code.
OUYA, retail version

Offline drumer89

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:30:14 PM »
Hey guys thanks for the responses, Im going to look into everything mentioned and will post as soon as possible. Thank you for your input i appreciate it.

Offline erikerikerik

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 01:13:09 AM »
I am having the same issue here.

when I have 2 wiimotes going. and when asked on the "Multi-Player" section to press a button for each player.  I shows Device 0, then when I try on player 2, and press on the 2nd controller, it then puts device 0 onto the 2nd player instead. 

I am using wiimotecontroller app aswell. 
I am able to use Nes and Snes emulators with both of these controllers, which have built in bluetooth finding of the controllers. 

When I go to the advanced settings, Controller info, it shows:

Device: Virtual
id: -1
Desc...(numbersnletters)
Class: Button

Device: sec_key
id: 3
Desc...(numbersnletters)

Device: sec_touchscreen
id: 4
Desc...(numbersnletters)
Class: Pointer
Axes: 8
  Axis_X (touchscreen)... etc etc

Device: sii9234_rcp
id: 5
Desc...(numbersnletters)

Device: sec_keyboard
id: 6
Desc...(numbersnletters)

Not sure what all this means, I have 2 wiimotes connected, each with classic controller connected. 

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »
Please see here and let me know if you still have problems.
http://www.paulscode.com/forum/index.php?topic=877.msg8290#msg8290
OUYA, retail version

Offline erikerikerik

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:33:07 AM »
alright, I was successfully able to get both controllers working...

1. In Mupen, go to Settings->Input and enable "Share controller".
2. If everything is set up properly, you will not see the Multi-player settings in the Play menu.  That is not an error.
3. See the subsections below for controller-specific instructions.

by doing that.  this bypassed the problem of when selecting the controllers for multiplayer, both showed as device 0. 

I am trying for Mario Kart 64, I was able to select the menu screens with both controllers, pick a charater with each controller.  but once the race started, only 1 screen would show up.   
Both charaters were able to play using their own controllers, but only 1 view was there.  so the split screen, only the top screen from the split screen was there.  :S

Offline littleguy

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 06:55:33 AM »
Glad the controllers are working now.  The fact that you were able to navigate the multiplayer menus in the game indicate that your controllers are set up properly.

The problem you are experiencing now is not related to the controllers.  I believe there are still some issues with Mupen and Mario Kart multiplayer in terms of video rendering.  Some of the other devs may know more about the status of that bug.
OUYA, retail version