Author Topic: Beta Testing Has Begun!  (Read 959170 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: Beta Testing Has Begun!
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2012, 04:58:58 PM »
Loving this emu so far, but one slight problem, I'm getting huge lag spikes on Mario Kart 64 on my Xperia play, making the game unplayable :/ I have yet to try a different rom (I get all my roms from one site that I've used for ages with no problems, unfortunately, they only have 1 rom per game, so if it is a bad dump, I have to search elsewhere).
If this is something that needs fixing (as in, rom is fine) I would love it to be fixed, being able to play Mario Kart 64 anywhere would be AMAZING!

I doubt its a problem with the ROM if it loaded (you can look in the logcat to see if the check sum part is reporting any problems, just to be sure).  How often are the lag spikes?  If they are every half-second or less and have a predictable rhythm or coincide with graphics-intensive events, then it is probably just emulating the game too slowly.  If however, they are spread out randomly and don't seem to coincide with anything graphics-intensive or scene-changes, then it is probably a problem with some separate background process using up CPU power periodically and slowing things down.  Studying the logcat output can possibly help you identify where those spikes are occurring and what background process is the culprit.  Then you can just force-close that process before running the app.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline Epic_bubble

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2012, 06:35:15 PM »
I know I have brought up the .emu emulators a lot in the past but they are a very good example of good user interface design. Download the free snes emulator and have a look, it might give you ideas for the UI on your emulator.

Link: http://www.explusalpha.com/home/snes9x-ex/downloads

Example of GUI while running a game in MD.emu:

Personally I would prefer ease of use and features over a pretty user interface. Theres not really anything wrong with the current interface imo. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 06:39:44 PM by Epic_bubble »
Device: Xperia play
CPU: Qualcomm 1 GHz Scorpion (Snapdragon)
GPU: Adreno 205
RAM: 512 MB
Screen res: 854 ? 480
ROM: stock android 2.3.4 rooted

Offline firstpoke

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »
If you'd like to make a separate front-end, have a go at it. 

It would be a Menu-Activity only, that you can insert in your Emu. Then the user could switch between this GUI's

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2012, 03:04:07 PM »
It would be a Menu-Activity only, that you can insert in your Emu. Then the user could switch between this GUI's
Sounds good - I'd just need the layouts and art and what-not (I can hook up the functionality once I have all the pieces).  This is what I did with the virtual gamepad (roymustang16 did the artwork and layout, and I just plugged it in to the code)

Offline firstpoke

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »
Sounds good - I'd just need the layouts and art and what-not (I can hook up the functionality once I have all the pieces).  This is what I did with the virtual gamepad (roymustang16 did the artwork and layout, and I just plugged it in to the code)

Ok, give me some days, maybe a week.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
Awesome, thanks for helping out the project!

Offline scloneh

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2012, 06:39:02 PM »
sorry for my english.... OMG! analog on xperia play works awesome!! :D can't wait for final version! I prove it on Mario64 and mario cap looks like have a ghost when he runs, also I prove Zelda OOC but the game still laggy, I tried to play Turok but when the first level start only I can saw was black :P. But why Paul If both emulators are based on Mupen64?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:55:35 PM by scloneh »

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2012, 05:58:50 PM »
sorry for my english.... OMG! analog on xperia play works awesome!! :D can't wait for final version! I prove it on Mario64 and mario cap looks like have a ghost when he runs, also I prove Zelda OOC but the game still laggy, I tried to play Turok but when the first level start only I can saw was black :P. But why Paul If both emulators are based on Mupen64?

I'm not sure I understand the question, sorry.

Could you post a photo or screenshot of the "mario cap"/ "ghost" problem?  I'm wondering if this is the vect4 optimization problem, but not sure from your description.

Zelda OOC will improve over time as the emulator is better optimized.  All you can really do at the moment is try overclocking your phone to make it run smoother.  You could play around with the frame-skip settings to try and improve performance a tiny bit.

Offline tofi1106

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2012, 12:59:05 AM »
heeey paul! :D thank you very much for this emulator!, I never thought that my cheap and inefficient optimus me could emulate nintendo 64! hehe but you've done a magnificent work!, I've seen a bug, I don't know if you're knowledgeable of this but... When I pause the game emulation for change some option on the menu like sound or any other thing when I try to resume the emulation the emulator suddenly minimize and desktop of android appears, notification bar shows the mupen64plus icon and when I try to open it again it takes me to the mupen64plus menu... if I try to resume It minimize again so I have to charge again the rom, In fact isn?t a big problem, but I hope this helps to you to make a better emulator ^o^, and I have two questions for you... why you've chose mupen64 for this project?,  why not with daedalus? or nineteen64? this is not a complaint is only a little doubt hehe and last question... this emu makes use of the dynarec optimization? or you're working on it?, hehe I?m sorry for my bad english I?m mexican and for my ignorance too, I?m just an ordinary user :S, anyway I'd like to help you notifying to you every bug I see

Offline Epic_bubble

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2012, 08:54:28 AM »
I am building an app to allow users to easily edit their paths and do the copy paste operations without having to delve into the command line or manually copy and paste each time. Its only going to work on the Mac for now sorry. :)
In the meantime I will share some of the bash script I have made so far:

To open and edit your path use this script:
cd
open -a "TextEdit" .bash_profile

These are the directories I added to the path to use the NDK and ANT. These will work assuming the android SDK and NDK are saved to you're home folder:

export PATH=${PATH}:~/android-sdk-macosx/platform-tools
export PATH=${PATH}:~/android-ndk-r7
export PATH=${PATH}:~/android-sdk-macosx/tools

Next you will need to run ndk-build on both projects.

Xperia play project:
cd ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-core-ARCHs
ndk-build
cp ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3-xperia-play
ndk-build

Normal project:
cd ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-core-ARCHs
ndk-build
cp ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3
ndk-build

These next two scripts automate the copy paste operations for you. The script will work assuming you save the mupen project to the desktop.

Xperia play project:
cd ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-core-ARCHs/libs/armeabi
cp libcore.so ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3-xperia-play/libs/armeabi/
cp libcore.so ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3-xperia-play/obj/local/armeabi/
cd ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-core-ARCHs/libs/armeabi-v7a/
cp libcore.so ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3-xperia-play/libs/armeabi-v7a/
cp libcore.so ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3-xperia-play/obj/local/armeabi-v7a/

Normal project:
cd ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-core-ARCHs/libs/armeabi
cp libcore.so ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3/libs/armeabi/
cp libcore.so ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3/obj/local/armeabi/
cd ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-core-ARCHs/libs/armeabi-v7a/
cp libcore.so ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3/libs/armeabi-v7a/
cp libcore.so ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3/obj/local/armeabi-v7a/

To build the project, cd to the directory and use ant debug, if the project is saved to the desktop then this script will work:

Xperia play project:
cd ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3-xperia-play
ant debug

Normal project
cd ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3
ant debug

If building fails then make sure you install all the android api levels in the SDK manager and run this script:

Xperia play project:
rm ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3-xperia-play/build.xml

Normal project:
rm ~/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3/build.xml

Then run this:
(DONT forget to replace USERNAME with you're username)

Xperia play project
android update project --target 12 --path /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3-xperia-play

Normal project:
android update project --target 12 --path /Users/USERNAME/Desktop/mupen64plus-SDL1.3
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:53:06 AM by Epic_bubble »

Offline Epic_bubble

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2012, 11:47:22 AM »
The first version of my Mac autobuild tools are released. Currently it is split up into 6 smaller applications and currently only works with the xperia mupen source code (unless you rename the project file of the regular source to mupen64plus-SDL1.3-xperia-play)

Run the tools in order from 0-5.

You must unzip to the desktop so the "mupen-xperia" folder is on the desktop otherwise fix permissions will not work.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?kl1d8qht829qj6w

Offline tgwaste

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2012, 12:43:46 PM »
Android\data\paulscode.android.mupen64plus

thank you paul :)
Dev: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
ROM: AOKP running ICS 4.0.3
Res: 720 x 1280
CPU: Dual-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A9 (TI OMAP 4460)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540

Offline TFreestone

• Cyan Team
  • byte
    • View Profile
    • AtshruDev Coding Blog
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »
im going to post a video sometime of the emulator using the icontrolpad. There still isn't analog support, but the dpad works well if you can deal with having to run the whole time. anyway yea ill do that sometime..
heeey paul! :D thank you very much for this emulator!, I never thought that my cheap and inefficient optimus me could emulate nintendo 64! hehe but you've done a magnificent work!, I've seen a bug, I don't know if you're knowledgeable of this but... When I pause the game emulation for change some option on the menu like sound or any other thing when I try to resume the emulation the emulator suddenly minimize and desktop of android appears, notification bar shows the mupen64plus icon and when I try to open it again it takes me to the mupen64plus menu... if I try to resume It minimize again so I have to charge again the rom, In fact isn?t a big problem, but I hope this helps to you to make a better emulator ^o^, and I have two questions for you... why you've chose mupen64 for this project?,  why not with daedalus? or nineteen64? this is not a complaint is only a little doubt hehe and last question... this emu makes use of the dynarec optimization? or you're working on it?, hehe I?m sorry for my bad english I?m mexican and for my ignorance too, I?m just an ordinary user :S, anyway I'd like to help you notifying to you every bug I see
Mupen64 is made to be easily portable and it is open scourced and it has had a lot of work done on it already for ARM and other stuff like ari64's pandora port thingy.. in other words it was the best option. Granted on the PC Project64 and the like may be better or whatever but mupen64 takes the cake in portability, community-of-programmers, and support/masses of ports. So yea that's why i think, but like you i am just a user and not paul so i don't know for sure the precise reasons that he chose mupen64 but it makes sense (end of rant)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:49:10 PM by TFreestone »
My twitter: https://twitter.com/T0umas9
My Phone: Google Nexus 4 Paranoid Android 4.3b1 KK (4.4.2)
Chip: Qualcomm APQ8064 Snapdragon
CPU: Quad-core 1.5 GHz Krait
GPU:   Adreno 320
RAM: 2Gb
Accelerometer, gyro
768 x 1280 pixels, 4.7 inches (~318 ppi pixel density)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2012, 05:05:25 PM »
Yep, those are the reason I went with Mupen64Plus.  It is perfectly suited for porting to new systems, and the modular nature makes it easy to create custom plug-ins and cores (perfect for an open-source project, because it allows developers to contribute to specific components based on their own experiences and strengths)

Offline tofi1106

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2012, 10:02:15 PM »
im going to post a video sometime of the emulator using the icontrolpad. There still isn't analog support, but the dpad works well if you can deal with having to run the whole time. anyway yea ill do that sometime..
Mupen64 is made to be easily portable and it is open scourced and it has had a lot of work done on it already for ARM and other stuff like ari64's pandora port thingy.. in other words it was the best option. Granted on the PC Project64 and the like may be better or whatever but mupen64 takes the cake in portability, community-of-programmers, and support/masses of ports. So yea that's why i think, but like you i am just a user and not paul so i don't know for sure the precise reasons that he chose mupen64 but it makes sense (end of rant)

O.o... are you sure you're a normal user?? O.o... hahaha no way! if you were a normal user... it makes me be a really donkey... xD well that explanation sounds so convincing... I'm the worst person when we're talking about programming xD so... I don't want to make it evident my ignorance, :D anyway I've understood the concept :D, I've playing mario 64 for a while with my new optimus one (cyanogenmod 7.2) overcloked 768mhz and it runs pretty well, but suddenly emulator closes when I try to push the red interruptor to get the wing cap?  ( , what do you think it could be?, maybe the rom (cyanogenmod)??? or the kernel?, anyone else have had this problem? it happened twice in the same point :/, there are various versions of this rom like mario 64 (E), mario 64 (U)(!), mario 64 1.2 (U), etc... the emulation could  change in each version?, thank you very much for the answer
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 10:04:48 PM by tofi1106 »