Author Topic: Beta Testing Has Begun!  (Read 825137 times)

Offline Lioncash

• Developer
  • byte
    • View Profile
Re: Beta Testing Has Begun!
« Reply #465 on: May 27, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
Nice! Love it! The smaller font takes more acclaimation to read and larger fonts for me are good as I have quite poor vision. Love the changes. Id love to see the entire emulator with a layout like that. Just tried it out on my new Pantech Element tablet and for some reason it runs slower than on my phone.

Glad you like the changes~

I plan to attempt to change the entire preference menu over to that at first. I do have a few design ideas for the main UI, but I'm trying to mainly think of ones that are able to be done without breaking compatibility for 2.x.x devices.

Offline mmxii

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 27, 2012, 10:02:40 PM »
Good stuff indeed. Have you given any thought to maybe, letting users have the ability to skin it to their preference? Like putting the ability to change the color of the fonts through html color codes and background changing? I remember on Picodrive 1.51 for Symbian there was options like that where you could edit an .ini file in a hex editor and change color values for fonts and you could skin the background with a .png of your choice as long as it was the correct screen resolution and had 24 bit coloring. That would be amazing. It would also show individuality and creativity.
Device: Asus Nexus 7 16 GB
CPU: nVidia Tegra 3 1.6 GHz quad core
GPU: ULP GeForce 512 MHz
RAM: 1 GB
Screen res: 800x1200
ROM/Kernel: (AOSP) Bugless Beast Halloween Build (Android 4.1.2) / faux123 011 Ultimate Edition Max

Offline Lioncash

• Developer
  • byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 27, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »
Good stuff indeed. Have you given any thought to maybe, letting users have the ability to skin it to their preference? Like putting the ability to change the color of the fonts through html color codes and background changing? I remember on Picodrive 1.51 for Symbian there was options like that where you could edit an .ini file in a hex editor and change color values for fonts and you could skin the background with a .png of your choice as long as it was the correct screen resolution and had 24 bit coloring. That would be amazing. It would also show individuality and creativity.

This is a neat idea that's possible after everything is all refactored. I'll let Paul decide if this should be implemented at some point in the app's lifecycle though. Considering it would be a major feature,  I don't want to add a feature he may not think fits the design of the app.

Offline Tsudeily

• bit
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 29, 2012, 08:03:40 AM »
I'm glad to see someone helping out on the project. :) I wish I had the slightest clue what I was doing so I could lend a hand too. xD

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #469 on: May 29, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »
Hey, Lioncash, you have free reign to take the project wherever you like.  I've been trying to diffuse the idea that this is "my" project.. I really want it to be a community effort.  So anyone with programming experience that has an idea for the project and wants to run with it, let me know and I'll give you access.  Obviously there will need to be some type of coordination between everyone working on the project at once.  As for me, I'll be working almost exclusively on the natives for the foreseeable future (the next couple of "big updates" are removing the SDL layer and restructuring the project to match the original Mupen64Plus and make it buildable for multiple targets), so changes to the GUI front-end shouldn't interfere much with what I'm doing.

Like I mentioned before, I've been focussing on my commercial app for the past few weeks, but it is getting closer to completion (it's about 50% - 66% of the way complete), so I'll be getting back to focusing primarily on Mupen64Plus AE soon.
Device: Samsung Galaxy Nexus i515
CPU: TI OMAP4460, 1.2 GHz (dual core, ARM Cortex-A9)
GPU: PowerVR SGX540, 307 MHz
Resolution: 720 x 1280
Rom: omni-4.4.4-20141014-toro-FML KitKat 4.4.4, rooted

Device: Eee PC 1015PEM
CPU: Intel Atom N550, 1.5 GHz (dual core, x86)
GPU: Intel GMA 3150, 200 MHz (dual core)
RAM: 2GB
Resolution: 1024 x 600
Rom: android-x86-4.3-20130725 Jelly Bean 4.3, rooted

Offline Lioncash

• Developer
  • byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:35 PM »
Hey, Lioncash, you have free reign to take the project wherever you like.  I've been trying to diffuse the idea that this is "my" project.. I really want it to be a community effort.  So anyone with programming experience that has an idea for the project and wants to run with it, let me know and I'll give you access.  Obviously there will need to be some type of coordination between everyone working on the project at once.  As for me, I'll be working almost exclusively on the natives for the foreseeable future (the next couple of "big updates" are removing the SDL layer and restructuring the project to match the original Mupen64Plus and make it buildable for multiple targets), so changes to the GUI front-end shouldn't interfere much with what I'm doing.

Like I mentioned before, I've been focussing on my commercial app for the past few weeks, but it is getting closer to completion (it's about 50% - 66% of the way complete), so I'll be getting back to focusing primarily on Mupen64Plus AE soon.

Oh ok, I'll see if I can add that option at some point.

By the way, here's another test version for you all. If there's no bugs on people's devices from using the new preferences UI, then that's basically the final version.

Test Build 2

I decided not to change the package name for the test though. Had I done so, I'd have to rename a load of the JNI C files for the plugins which would take too long. Just a heads up.

I know the gamepad button mapping isn't moved over yet, but I'll finish that after the main UI is done and committed, since the class that manages that needs to be worked over.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #471 on: May 29, 2012, 06:43:31 PM »
The easiest way to change the Android package name without having to change the Java package name anywhere, is to first make the Android package name in the manifest file the same as the Java package name (in this case paulscode.android.mupen64plusae).  Do an "ant clean" then "ant debug" (creates R).  Then change the Android package name in the manifest, and run "ant debug" again to generate an APK with the new Android package name (and can be installed alongside the original).

It's really hacky, I know.. that's why I went through and changed all the Java package names after the first Google Play suspension (before I got banned).

Offline mmxii

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 29, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »

Oh ok, I'll see if I can add that option at some point.

By the way, here's another test version for you all. If there's no bugs on people's devices from using the new preferences UI, then that's basically the final version.

Test Build 2

I decided not to change the package name for the test though. Had I done so, I'd have to rename a load of the JNI C files for the plugins which would take too long. Just a heads up.

I know the gamepad button mapping isn't moved over yet, but I'll finish that after the main UI is done and committed, since the class that manages that needs to be worked over.
Nailed it! Looks nice. I really like it. No issues here whatsoever.
ROM/Kernel: (AOSP) Bugless Beast Halloween Build (Android 4.1.2) / faux123 011 Ultimate Edition Max

Offline scorpio16v

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 30, 2012, 01:06:58 AM »
Ah, looks nice.  :)
To have all options for graphic plugins in one window is even more handy like Pauls version.

One thing. The checkbox for FS on Rice plugin wasn't set, but at start, it semms that my  previous setting from Paul's version is activated.
After check and uncheck the option, frameskip is deactivated correctly.
If it isn't possible to read the old settings from previous version, it would be better to reset all settings after a new install.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #474 on: May 30, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
Ah, looks nice.  :)
To have all options for graphic plugins in one window is even more handy like Pauls version.

One thing. The checkbox for FS on Rice plugin wasn't set, but at start, it semms that my  previous setting from Paul's version is activated.
After check and uncheck the option, frameskip is deactivated correctly.
If it isn't possible to read the old settings from previous version, it would be better to reset all settings after a new install.

--EDIT-- As far as I can tell, the code for the menus doesn't ever get the values saved in the config file -- instead it gets them from the layout defaults.  This of course means once the app is shut down and restarted, all settings will be lost (of course whatever was saved to the config will still be saved, but none of what was saved be reflected accurately in the menus).  This will have to be changed.  I'm not sure which all files are affected (anything with a checkbox for sure).  I probably won't have time to do this for a couple days.  I'll try and sort it all out this weekend.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:52:28 PM by Paul »

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #475 on: June 04, 2012, 10:09:01 PM »
Committed a fix for Xperia Play running ICS, where pressing "Back" crashed the app.  Still have to sort out the Action Bar issue though (touches on the action bar act like touches on the surface behind the action bar, so it is impossible to open the menu to save, load, etc).  I posted a question about this on Stack Overflow here, so hopefully someone has a fix.  If not, I'll have to go with xperia64's suggestion of creating a 3rd pipeline specifically for Xperia Play running ICS, where I get touchpad input through the mouse input API (the way Yongzh is doing it in N64oid).

Since the Play does have a menu button, I'm wondering if pressing it will bring up the action bar menu in ICS, and if so, is it interactable?  If so, then this bug is relatively low-priority since there is a simple work-around.  I'll build a test tomorrow and post on xda developers for anyone running ICS on an Xperia Play to test and see.

Offline mmxii

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 07, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks again for such a good emulator!

Offline shuy3n

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 15, 2012, 01:09:32 AM »
should Lioncash's version be a full version or maybe ICS only? as video doesn't seem to work I just get a blank  screen

Logcat if this shouldn't happen

http://www.mediafire.com/?6tp9dntxxt497a6

Obviously ignore if it's normal and just a menu test :)

oh btw the new menu's (settings etc) get styled in the same vein as my current MIUI theme and change with them very cool :D any chance of doing the same for the main menu too

Device Info:
Code: [Select]
build.board: p990
build.bootloader: unknown
build.brand: lge
build.cpu_abi: armeabi-v7a
build.cpu_abi2: armeabi
build.device: p990
build.display: WIUI 2.5.25
build.fingerprint: lge/lge_star/p990_EUR-xx:2.3.4/GRJ22/lgp990-V20l.422C563E:user/release-keys
build.hardware: p990
build.host: sundaqing
build.id: WIUI
build.manufacturer: LGE
build.model: Optimus 2X
build.product: lge_star
build.radio: unknown
build.serial: 434064d702804004
build.tags: test-keys
build.time: 1309935002000
build.type: userdebug
build.user: builder
version.codename: REL
version.incremental: 2.5.25
version.release: 2.3.7
version.sdk_int: 10

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • double
  • Developer
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #478 on: June 15, 2012, 04:36:03 AM »
Weird... that zip file doesn't seem to be compatible on my computer.  Could you attach or email me the logcat text file?

Offline shuy3n

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 15, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »
Sure no problem i attached it to this reply :)

I have sound and the last release build works fine
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:27:41 AM by shuy3n »